Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 2143 2144 [2145] 2146 2147 ... 2779

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 651010 times)

LarryB!

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #32160 on: December 02, 2022, 10:52:54 AM »

I would of course yap about them voting no on sick leave, but they were mostly behaving as expected.  I wanted more from Biden, who promised to deliver for working people.  Sometimes he needs to be more adversarial and not just have some people superficially holding hands.  The railroads certainly would not want supply chain collapses around Christmas and possibly losing huge chunks to trucking and shipping...they would have come to the table on sick leave if they had to.

GOP did not want to take a hit on the strike but said no in the time off and somehow that is on Biden?

I guess Obama did not pass on his Green Lantern Ring of Power to Biden so he could just make legislation through sheer will.

Just saying Biden shouldn't applaud this deal.  He should send it back unsigned, ask legislators to come up with something better, and point out the barbarity of zero days sick leave in no uncertain terms.  I'm not saying that the sick leave debacle isn't on Manchin and GOP callousness.  Biden needs to point that out.

Political suicide at the worst time possible.

"There you go givin a fuck when it's not your turn to give a fuck"

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #32161 on: December 02, 2022, 10:54:16 AM »

Six or seven.
Actually in the end, 4. And the railroad companies have never moved off 0.
Actually it is one personal day and 3 periods of time off to visit a doctor as long as the visit is scheduled for a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday and 30 days in advance.
The Senate refused to grant the workers demand for 7 days.
And rightly so given workers are getting 24 per cent raise through the life of the contract and immediate payouts averaging 11 thousand dollars.

How does that corporate boot taste?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32162 on: December 02, 2022, 10:54:56 AM »

I would of course yap about them voting no on sick leave, but they were mostly behaving as expected.  I wanted more from Biden, who promised to deliver for working people.  Sometimes he needs to be more adversarial and not just have some people superficially holding hands.  The railroads certainly would not want supply chain collapses around Christmas and possibly losing huge chunks to trucking and shipping...they would have come to the table on sick leave if they had to.

GOP did not want to take a hit on the strike but said no in the time off and somehow that is on Biden?

I guess Obama did not pass on his Green Lantern Ring of Power to Biden so he could just make legislation through sheer will.

Just saying Biden shouldn't applaud this deal.  He should send it back unsigned, ask legislators to come up with something better, and point out the barbarity of zero days sick leave in no uncertain terms.  I'm not saying that the sick leave debacle isn't on Manchin and GOP callousness.  Biden needs to point that out.
Over 20 per cent of Americans get no sick leave. And most of them are paid far less than railroad workers.
The demand for seven was outrageous given the raises and payouts negotiated by Biden.

"....negotiated by Biden"

Yeah - funny.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryB!

• View Profile
« Reply #32163 on: December 02, 2022, 10:55:50 AM »

Republican leader Haffley:  "You will be responsible for shutting the government down..."

President Bartlett:  "Then shut it down"

Joe gotta stomp when stompin's right.   Oilcan is correct in this cse

Bartlett was not dealing with an economy emerging from a pandemic meltdown.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32164 on: December 02, 2022, 12:31:30 PM »

Six or seven.
Actually it is one personal day and 3 periods of time off to visit a doctor as long as the visit is scheduled for a Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday and 30 days in advance.
And rightly so given workers are getting 24 per cent raise through the life of the contract and immediate payouts averaging 11 thousand dollars.
Tnd last three years should have taught us the importance of paid sick leave. If people lose pay when they stat home sick the come to work sick and contagious diseases spread through the workplace.
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #32165 on: December 02, 2022, 12:51:47 PM »

Six or seven.
Tnd last three years should have taught us the importance of paid sick leave. If people lose pay when they stat home sick the come to work sick and contagious diseases spread through the workplace.
115,000 times 7 amounts to 805,000 days of paid sick leave per year. A demand rejected by unions and the White House in negotiations.  It is preposterous that anybody supported such nonsense. ( it barely passed through the House and was soundly defeated in the Senate in bipartisan voting)

OliveOil

• You were such a super lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32166 on: December 02, 2022, 01:20:58 PM »

Over 20 per cent of Americans get no sick leave. And most of them are paid far less than railroad workers.
The demand for seven was outrageous given the raises and payouts negotiated by Biden.

To your first sentence:  logical fallacy.  Just because others lack an important workplace protection, doesn't mean unions should capitulate on fighting for such protections when they can. 

To your second comment:  Good pay does not displace the need for sick days.  For one thing, workers are more likely to try and come to work sick if they don't have sick leave...which increases the spread of disease among the workforce.  It also can lead to more serious illness when people don't get time off to rest up and recuperate.  Many workers support families and will feel the loss of a few days' pay, and so are then reluctant to stay home.
Why sleep at home when you can sleep in Congress?

OliveOil

• View Profile
« Reply #32167 on: December 02, 2022, 01:23:26 PM »

Republican leader Haffley:  "You will be responsible for shutting the government down..."

President Bartlett:  "Then shut it down"

Joe gotta stomp when stompin's right.   Oilcan is correct in this cse

After the smelling salts were brought, I revived and now type this thank you.  Thank you. 

OliveOil

• View Profile
« Reply #32168 on: December 02, 2022, 01:25:31 PM »

Six or seven.
The last three years should have taught us the importance of paid sick leave. If people lose pay when they stay home sick then come to work sick and contagious diseases spread through the workplace.

oops.  sorry to duplicate your comment before I posted.  And well said. 

OliveOil

• View Profile
« Reply #32169 on: December 02, 2022, 01:27:47 PM »

Six or seven.
115,000 times 7 amounts to 805,000 days of paid sick leave per year. A demand rejected by unions and the White House in negotiations.  It is preposterous that anybody supported such nonsense. ( it barely passed through the House and was soundly defeated in the Senate in bipartisan voting)

So why is it NOT preposterous to you when we provide that to 80 percent of American workforce? 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32170 on: December 02, 2022, 02:40:19 PM »

6 days of minimum available national sick leave for all workers where employers are subsidized for employee time missed by a surcharge on multimillion dollar incomes and stock and commodity transactions.

It is just basic respect due to work and workers in this country.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #32172 on: December 02, 2022, 03:41:49 PM »

Conservative media doesn't celebrate MTG

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #32173 on: December 02, 2022, 04:35:18 PM »

To your first sentence:  logical fallacy.  Just because others lack an important workplace protection, doesn't mean unions should capitulate on fighting for such protections when they can. 
3/4ths of the unions agreed on negotiations without the added sick days.

To your second comment:  Good pay does not displace the need for sick days.
They are getting one full year of back pay which will more than cover 7 sick days per each of  the four years of the new contract.

Espnthree

• View Profile
« Reply #32174 on: December 02, 2022, 04:38:03 PM »

Six or seven.

So why is it NOT preposterous to you when we provide that to 80 percent of American workforce?
We?
Pages: 1 ... 2143 2144 [2145] 2146 2147 ... 2779