Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607140 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #16185 on: July 04, 2019, 11:45:14 AM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

You ever think just once to pay attention when black people say, “Whoa?”

We keep seeing this same movie and we know how it ends.

Remember when you were a kid snd the Gadsden Flag was damn cool? A symbol of Revolutionary America? After the mainstreaming of above ground racism through the TEA Party that flag tells the world who you are. I see that on a bumper of a pristine F150 parked on Pennsylvania Ave SE there maybe someone in We The Pizza might... that flag is gone.

But we had this same debate...

Before that no one gave a shit about the General Lee because the show was stupid and funny but long before that folks in the South knew exactly what the flag represented at Ole Miss and everywhere else.

We debated loud and long about that flag, right? Is there any debate now?

The Right is conflating patriotism with racism.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16187 on: July 04, 2019, 11:51:51 AM »

It does seem a legitimate debate question: to what degree can white supremacists usurp the original meaning of the Ross flag, and should we credit that usurping in any way?   I can see both sides of the debate here.   With some symbols, the situation is more clear-cut:  no one frets about what the swastika meant to early Aryan peoples, as a symbol of health, luck, and prosperity.   It was permanently and irrevocably stained when the Nazis co-opted the ancient symbol.   With the Ross flag, it's less clear to me that the stain Kaepernick has perceived is irrevocable.   I don't think ignoring this newer attempt to co-opt a classic  symbol of independence and unity makes someone a racist.
I am really not sure, myself, that I want to let the extremist groups rule our perceptions.

Remember when you were a kid snd the Gadsden Flag was damn cool? A symbol of Revolutionary America? After the mainstreaming of above ground racism through the TEA Party that flag tells the world who you are. I see that on a bumper of a pristine F150 parked on Pennsylvania Ave SE there maybe someone in We The Pizza might... that flag is gone.

Before that no one gave a shit about the General Lee because the show was stupid and funny but long before that folks in the South knew exactly what the flag represented at Ole Miss and everywhere else.

Bitch, please.

The illiberal left is conflating victim-hood by rewriting the historical significance of the American flag.

Don't mix the Confederate flag with the American flag. That's what you're doing.

And purposefully. Because you don't want an America for all. You just want an America for ya'll!

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16188 on: July 04, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »

The Nazi swastika was different than the ancient, historical swastika.

The Jewish star is a symbol of oppression to Palestinians.

See how this works?

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16189 on: July 04, 2019, 11:53:39 AM »

I have no issues with anyone going after any POTUS at any time, as long as they are on American soil when they do so.

That's fucked up.

It was wrong of Trump when he did it to Pelosi.

It was wrong of Rapinoe.

Bitch, please.

STFU, 'Bama.

Lyndon Johnson

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #16190 on: July 04, 2019, 11:54:21 AM »

I have no issues with anyone going after any POTUS at any time, as long as they are on American soil when they do so.

That's fucked up.

It was wrong of Rapinoe.

Bitch, please.

STFU, 'Bama.

You keep denying your status. Vic.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16191 on: July 04, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »

News Item

Supreme Court justice and liberal icon Ruth Bader Ginsburg on Tuesday praised newly-confirmed Justice Brett Kavanugh for appointing an entirely female staff. Ginsburg spoke about her own history in the fight for gender equality to a packed auditorium at Georgetown Law School.

Ginsburg praised Kavanaugh — whose controversial confirmation was marked by allegations of sexual assault — and remarked that the court's upcoming fall term will be the first time in history that more women will be clerking than men. There is a very important first on the Supreme Court this term and it's thanks to our new justice, Justice Kavanaugh," Ginsburg said.

CBS News.
I trust the interview process involved an attempted drunken rape.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16192 on: July 04, 2019, 12:37:34 PM »

Bitch, please.

The illiberal left is conflating victim-hood by rewriting the historical significance of the American flag.

Don't mix the Confederate flag with the American flag. That's what you're doing.

And purposefully. Because you don't want an America for all. You just want an America for ya'll!

There you go again with your clumsy right wing dogwhistles:

Illiberal left
Victimhood
Rewriting

Achtung, bitches...

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16193 on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16194 on: July 04, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »

That's fucked up.

It was wrong of Rapinoe.

Bitch, please.

STFU, 'Bama.

You keep denying your status. Vic.

You keep projecting your sense of victimhood.

What’s the matter, didn’t all your Mediocre White man dreams come true?

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16195 on: July 04, 2019, 12:46:11 PM »

It's the Fourth of July in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where Betsy Ross lived. She helped design and make the first real American flag.

A political statement of unity against a tyrannical King.

Today, we celebrate breaking away from that King in a war the Bostonians started, but could not finish, the New Yorkers tried to avoid, and the New Jerseyans and Carolinians, with the help of the French, won.

Vive la France! Vive la USA!

You are now free to argue among yourselves, thanks to people like Betsy Ross, who took action, as opposed to just sitting on her ass pointing fingers at "the other side".

I'll be sitting here in NJ, just steps away from where Washington and his armies fought and beat the Brits.

And when I go back to France, later this summer, I'll be sure to thank them, again, as I'll be near where Lafayette hailed from.

Joyeux Jour de l'Indépendance!!!

NIKE has made this flag more significant, opposite of what their failed QB wished.  We will see it more often now.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16196 on: July 04, 2019, 12:50:33 PM »

Many Dems and their families will be out enjoying the tank show and the patriotic message from our president today.  A non partisan celebration, despite the cries otherwise from the extremists.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #16197 on: July 04, 2019, 01:03:50 PM »

Eleanor Holmes Norton makes total fool of herself today on CNN.  Her constituents must be shaking their heads (or maybe not)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #16198 on: July 04, 2019, 01:09:24 PM »

Many Dems and their families will be out enjoying the tank show and the patriotic message from our president today.  A non partisan celebration, despite the cries otherwise from the extremists.

https://mypatriotsupply.com/products/1-year-food-supply-2000-calories-per-day

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1078 1079 [1080] 1081 1082 ... 4288