Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995149 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2295 on: September 11, 2018, 11:43:18 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/rebelgirls/videos/244054996306766/

For perspective - these are men losing it on the tennis court.

Guess what didn't happen to them.

Whataboutism. Had nothing to do with the match and how it unfolded.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: September 11, 2018, 11:50:04 AM »

They used to say McEnroe's antics were bad for tennis.  Why not say the same about Serena in this instance?

Yes, they did. Connors, too. But also, not the point.

She was getting her butt kicked the whole match. Couldn't get first serve in, was broken, couldn't put the kid away in any circumstance during the match.

She redirected her frustration towards the umpire. All he did was enforce the rules, and then put up with her hysterical antics, until she forced him to put the rules into play again.

Then she made the awards ceremony all about her (" we'll get through this"), while along the way dragging her daughter into it (WTF?), gender bias, and other distractions---anything to deny the fact that she looked like an aging tennis player forced to give way to the next gen's talent.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:52:32 AM by MrUtley3 »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: September 11, 2018, 11:54:31 AM »

While the chair ump could have shown a greater degree of discretion (and I have no idea what % of illegal coaching is seen but not penalized) and maybe the umpi could have first issued a warning comment to Serena, IMO Team Serena broke the rules and admitted it, But Serena lost her temper and owns the unfortunate escalation of events. 
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:56:12 AM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: September 11, 2018, 12:00:38 PM »

Not her first eff-up at US Open.

https://youtu.be/vCL8may1Hes

barton

« Reply #2299 on: September 11, 2018, 12:19:49 PM »

Hi,  Larry.   I would guess the other player is not a caricature because she's not being made fun of.

But she is drawn as a caricature.  Osaka is not a petite white lady with straight blond hair.  She is portrayed that way to play a character.  One that critically draws a contrast to buy into racial stereotyping.

Clarification:  I was not aware the cartoon was supposed to be specifically about Osaka rather than a generic opponent.  My initial impression was that it wasn't a specific game and that Knight was implying this is how Serena plays tennis.  That part I didn't like, because I don't think it's a fair implication.  To Williams's credit, I note that she didn't break a racket over a trifle, but because the call was one actually impugning her moral character, calling her a cheater.  It was a nasty call, and I very much doubt its accuracy.  And I also thought making her absurdly obese was a cheap insult - but again, I don't know that it was racial or rather just lazy and stupid caricature.  Either Knight is stupid and clueless about the history of black caricature in the U.S., or he IS being racist to be provocative.  If the former, he should be fired for incompetence, since the American and European history of slavery and racism and caricatures of minorities is something EVERY journalist anywhere should know.  If the latter, he should be fired for deliberately promoting toxic bigotry.  My only caution is that we not become a society in which every clueless comment or action is carefully studied to see how it can be taken in the worst way.  In this case, it is impossible to determine exactly what's in the guy's head.  Beyond ignorance, which seems pretty certain. 

barton

« Reply #2300 on: September 11, 2018, 12:33:11 PM »

While the chair ump could have shown a greater degree of discretion (and I have no idea what % of illegal coaching is seen but not penalized) and maybe the umpi could have first issued a warning comment to Serena, IMO Team Serena broke the rules and admitted it, But Serena lost her temper and owns the unfortunate escalation of events.

My doubt is that someone who has played pro for over two decades would find themselves in need of illegal coaching, and take the option of cheating.  It's possible, sure, but strikes me as something a younger player would be more likely tempted to do.

It's interesting to me that the whole bigotry discussion is focused on race rather than fat-shaming.  My observation of these times is that fat shaming* has become a haven for bigots, because it's not as soundly crushed as racial/ethnic slurs.  That Oz cartoon was definitely going for the fat-shaming path, if nothing else. 

* and, of course, midget bashing.  Many midgets commit suicide you know....

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: September 11, 2018, 12:55:50 PM »

Its mean.

Its about a black guy/gal.

Its racist.

That's today's society.

Next topic.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: September 11, 2018, 01:21:03 PM »

https://twitter.com/Brasilmagic/status/1039335260142686208

If only Maddow knew........

DEMS are crossing in support of Kavanaugh.  Will take more than 2 Republicans.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: September 11, 2018, 01:28:30 PM »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: September 11, 2018, 01:50:20 PM »

https://twitter.com/Brasilmagic/status/1039335260142686208

If only Maddow knew........

DEMS are crossing in support of Kavanaugh.  Will take more than 2 Republicans.

This really is something.  Apply a position to Maddow based on an unsupported tweet, then refute the position you've now assigned to her with an unsupported statement.

Some Democrats (Manchin, Heitkamp...) in tough reelection bids in red states may be waiting to see which way Collins or Murkowski go, to see if the no vote is worth it.  If any of those "DEMS" have come out officially as a yes (I haven't seen that reported, got a link?) its probably because both Collins and Murkowski (contrary to the report by your tweeter) are looking like supporters.

I did think Murkowski's statement referring to Republicans withholding documents from his record to be telling, one of those unintentional truth moments.  She said it shouldn't matter that the docs are withheld because Democrats wouldn't vote for him anyway.  But that is an admission on her part that nothing in those docs would convince a Republican not to vote for him.  That's a funny (read telling) position for a Senator who has sworn to protect Roe V. Wade to take. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: September 11, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »

My doubt is that someone who has played pro for over two decades would find themselves in need of illegal coaching, and take the option of cheating.  It's possible, sure, but strikes me as something a younger player would be more likely tempted to do.

It's interesting to me that the whole bigotry discussion is focused on race rather than fat-shaming.  My observation of these times is that fat shaming* has become a haven for bigots, because it's not as soundly crushed as racial/ethnic slurs.  That Oz cartoon was definitely going for the fat-shaming path, if nothing else. 

Her coach admitted he was signaling her, which was a rules infraction. The umpire never said she was cheating, but held her accountable to the rule in place.

She used that term, she took it to that level during her overreacting.

And again, she was losing the match, convincingly, at that point.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: September 11, 2018, 01:58:01 PM »

I didnt apply anything to Maddow. She has been saying all along that if Murkowski and Collins vote NAY on Kavanaugh he is toast.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: September 11, 2018, 02:00:39 PM »

Roe v Wade is not at stake.  It's just political posturing to get an appointment nixed.

They wont like the next candidate any better.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: September 11, 2018, 02:05:53 PM »

Block any candidate but Garland, Hill, or Obama.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: September 11, 2018, 02:10:36 PM »

Bart-Serena's coach admitted to illegally signaling Serena. She said she did not see it. However innocent she may be, her coach was not, and she got penalized.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 4288