Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2339 2340 [2341] 2342 2343 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608032 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #35100 on: May 25, 2020, 10:19:28 AM »

Income is a factor.

You have to have the ability to navigate the system the time to do so and the mobility to access the services.

If the Republicans had spent the past ten years trying to make the system work instead of trying to take it apart...

A good read on the gaps in the system, difficulties navigating a hodge-podge of programs, and some ideas on how to streamline/remedy things:

Not much of a Safety Net: Millions of Americans lost their Health Care and Apartments when COVID-19 Took their Jobs

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #35101 on: May 25, 2020, 11:34:01 AM »

16 January 1965
USAF KC-135A 57-1442, crashed after its rudder control system suffered a malfunction[76] shortly after takeoff from McConnell Air Force Base, Kansas.[77] The fuel-laden plane crashed at a street intersection and caused a considerable fire. A total of 30 were killed, including 23 on the ground and the seven member crew.[78]
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35102 on: May 25, 2020, 12:22:11 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/StandWithMueller/videos/889320321531767/

On Compassion and the Commanders-in-Chief

Snippets from presidential speeches on Memorial Day.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35103 on: May 25, 2020, 12:27:22 PM »

I stopped here with my wife on Saturday, in honor of Memorial Day and my father:

It's been a busy time at the NH Veterans Cemetery, as at many other such places around the country and world.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #35104 on: May 25, 2020, 12:47:34 PM »

More Trump stupidity:

“I tested very positively in a, in another sense. So, this morning, yeah, I tested positively toward negative, right? So, no, I tested perfectly this morning, meaning I tested negative.”

My doctor friends were wondering what kind of C-19 test Trump undergoes.  Because the deep nasal swab isn't that pleasant.  And it's hard to believe Trump subjects himself to that every day.  Blood test?  Saliva?

(they asked me 2 or 3 weeks ago, before these alternative tests were available)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #35105 on: May 25, 2020, 01:23:48 PM »

---Trump threatens to pull Republican convention out of North Carolina---

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/politics/trump-threatens-charlotte-republican-convention/index.html

his denial of the extent of the c19 threat gets crazier and crazier.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #35106 on: May 25, 2020, 01:31:00 PM »

I would guess Trump does Abbott test.

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 01:32:41 PM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35107 on: May 25, 2020, 01:35:38 PM »

I would guess Trump does Abbott test.

https://www.abbott.com/IDNOW.html

How many false negatives do you suppose he has had?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35108 on: May 25, 2020, 01:36:04 PM »

---Trump threatens to pull Republican convention out of North Carolina---

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/politics/trump-threatens-charlotte-republican-convention/index.html

his denial of the extent of the c19 threat gets crazier and crazier.

It seems like a good way to start Memorial Day, after all.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #35109 on: May 25, 2020, 01:47:01 PM »

...... for the first time since the pandemic forced widespread U.S. business closures in March, it appears conditions in some corners of the economy aren’t getting worse, and might even be improving.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-economy-worst-of-coronavirus-shutdowns-may-be-over-11590408000?mod=mhp

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35110 on: May 25, 2020, 01:57:24 PM »

I am opposed to diagnoses by people who have not worked directly with the person about whom the diagnosis is offered.

Still, this is an interesting hypothesis:

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35111 on: May 25, 2020, 01:58:33 PM »

...... for the first time since the pandemic forced widespread U.S. business closures in March, it appears conditions in some corners of the economy aren’t getting worse, and might even be improving.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-economy-worst-of-coronavirus-shutdowns-may-be-over-11590408000?mod=mhp

Good.

It would be nice if Americans would stop trying to force closures back upon us. Not holding my breath, though.

barton

« Reply #35112 on: May 25, 2020, 01:59:46 PM »

Luee,  thanks for posting the snip from wiki on the tanker crash.   At that time,  and for a couple decades after,  it stood as the worst US aviation accident in terms of deaths on the ground.  Memorial Day seemed like the day to mention it.   The city razed the block and had a memorial park there.   Those of us who lived near the crash site were changed that day,  to varying degrees.   I can still remember the ghastly tower of smoke rising into the sky and the stink of burning jet fuel.   And the initial thud and tremor in the ground.   This was a town full of aviation engineers (more per capita than Seattle,  with four major aircraft companies there), so there were a lot of people upset and wanting answers.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35113 on: May 25, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

I was just listening to President Trump's attacks on Jeff Sessions as "not qualified, not mentally qualified to be Attorney General."

And I find myself struck, yet again, but how out of touch with himself Trump seems to be. It's as if he's forgotten that he appointed Sessions, let alone how much praise Trump lavished upon Sessions, up until Sessions recused himself from the Russia investigation.

"...a world-class legal mind and considered a truly great Attorney General and US Attorney in the state of Alabama."
[/size]

So, which is it? "The best people?" Or "not qualified?"

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 2339 2340 [2341] 2342 2343 ... 4288