Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2543 2544 [2545] 2546 2547 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1612278 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38160 on: June 13, 2020, 01:52:34 PM »

In terms of German dictators, through Covid, drumpf has killed more Americans than the Kaiser during WWI.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38161 on: June 13, 2020, 02:20:43 PM »

Brown v. Board of Education was a historic milestone.  Yet not much changed.  A decade after Brown there was a follow-up case in which the Supreme Court said that segregated schools needed to be desegregated right away.  And still there was litigation and more years of resistance.

Virginia came up with a "massive resistance" strategy to Brown v. Board (1954).
In September 1960, just 170 out of 204,000 black students in Virginia were enrolled in white schools. By 1963, the situation, as reflected in the state's capital, was not much better-of the 26,000 black students in Richmond, only 312 were enrolled in 12 formerly all-white schools. In Prince Edward County, public schools remained closed for five years.

Things didn't go too well in Boston, either if you remember.

It was a very different battle, though. Partially because the black population in Massachusetts and in Boston was so much smaller and partially because the (in public) argument from Boston's School Committee wasn't "No, we won't desegregate!" but rather "We are not segregated!" you didn't see the same kind of conflicts. Of course, the background machinations were far deeper and more insidious than the public presentments.

Ordinarily, I would go on at length about this topic which I grew up with, but others have already been down that road and far more eloquently:
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/03/the-boston-busing-crisis-was-never-intended-to-work/474264/

White flight was a real thing that left de facto segregation in place long after busing was concluded to be a failure. The METCO program, a voluntary arrangement between Boston and suburban districts is a drop in the bucket - started in 1966, 7 suburbs took 200 inner city kids. That's grown to 3,000 kids and 34 suburbs, plus four more towns from suburban Springfield taking the urban kids there. (And nobody can claim that the METCO kids are uniformly as well treated as the hometown kids, but that's a tale for another day.)

The thing that is interesting to me is that at the same time that we had the black/white desegregation battles going on, we also had two other excluded groups fighting to be in the schools at all! The kids with physical and mental disabilities and the kids who spoke foreign languages were not in any school. That changed faster and more effectively than the other, for all that it started much later.

The Way We Go to School: Children Excluded in Boston is a 1969 report on the pulling together of dozens of agencies to address those failures of the schools. Had segregation had half the cooperative effort that worked here, Boston's story would have been very different.
https://archive.org/details/ERIC_ED046140/page/n1/mode/2up

Both SPED and Bilingual, no wait, ELL students are still having to fight for services, even with (or especially because of) federal mandates, but they are at least in school. Most of the time.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Re: Trump Blinks
« Reply #38162 on: June 13, 2020, 02:31:24 PM »

David Frum's explanation for why the Trump team moved to June 20th when they have never conceded anything before:

https://twitter.com/davidfrum/status/1271783789883260935?s=19&fbclid=IwAR2UhTMRE5vyeFmp2ZTn1Bj1ImGPrfGHBeTddi8S-yMybhldr4vMEfV7LzE

From further down the thread,

“Now Biden should go do a major speech on racial justice in Tulsa on Juneteenth.”
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38163 on: June 13, 2020, 02:33:44 PM »

In terms of German dictators, through Covid, drumpf has killed more Americans than the Kaiser during WWI.
The Kaiser, too, was a stable genius.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

barton

« Reply #38164 on: June 13, 2020, 02:51:54 PM »

It’s outside the Utah State Capitol and on Churchill statue in London. Your kids are making videos about it and your parents want to know what it means. The acronym ACAB has been rolling through the US protest movement, from graffiti to signs to streetwear. Your kids are making videos about it, your parents are asking you what it is. It’s showing up on municipal buildings If you don’t know already, it means “All Cops are Bastards.” (You may also see its numeric alternate, “1312,” with numbers substituted for letters.) It’s a term with a rich, controversial history—and one that can tell us about protest, police, and the power dynamic between a state and its citizens.

The exact origins of the term are unknown, but the consensus is that it emerged in England in the first half of the twentieth century. Aprocrophyally, “All Coppers are Bastards” was first abbreviated to ACAB by workers on strike in the 1940s. James Poulter at Vice unearthed some video footage from 1958 of some lads belting the phrase on the street. But ACAB really took on its modern meaning in 1970 when the Daily Mirror ran the phrase as a headline. The accompanying story explained that the police had picked up a teen who had embroidered the phrase on his jacket after copying it from a Hells Angel he saw on the street. The kid claimed he thought ACAB stood for “All Canadians are Bums” and got off with a 5 GBP fine, but the headline made the acronym a byword for a younger generation But sick of getting pushed around by cops. This was a turning point for the alarmism the phrase still inspires today—but the panic had the unintentional effect of launching ACAB into the vernacular of the burgeoning punk movement.

And in punk music, ACAB found its spiritual home. The punk movement carried ACAB around the globe, where it became a watchword for anarchist and anti-authoritarian movements from New York to Indonesia. The primary vehicle was, of course, righteous and angry two-minute bursts of song: the most famous example is the song “ACAB” by the London band the 4-Skins, but there are plenty more....   

https://www.gq.com/story/history-of-acab

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38165 on: June 13, 2020, 03:26:03 PM »

http://thebulwark.com/trump-is-too-weak-to-be-a-strongman/

It’s a little over optimistic, but makes some good points

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #38166 on: June 13, 2020, 03:30:43 PM »

It seems like Defunding the Police is the single payer in this debate while the heritage foundation version looks like this,

http://www.denverpost.com/2020/06/12/colorado-police-reform-house/

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38169 on: June 13, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »

Thanks whoever posted that Bastard Cop article link.
https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confessions-of-a-former-bastard-cop-bb14d17bc759
Very good read.

I think I have quite a few posts about cops that are corroborated by this account.

If this is eye opening you guys haven’t been listening or in the case of one who actually countered posts about being harassed by cops (including a cop on the Southern State parkway who stopped my wife the day after stopping us the night before. Mind you this was after he and another cop knew she was a District Court judge) for my entire adult life with,

“Well, when I had long hair...”

It’s not that I haven’t told about the NYPD officers I spent a year with as a contract videographer, y’all just haven’t listened.

Working a crime scene at Little West 12th Street probably 1986. Dead hooker who would be called transgender today has been strangled.

I’d already rolled tape on the scene and was waiting to see if canvassing would find witnesses to record field interviews. Fat chance.

Cops from the 6th were just fucking around smoking, drinking coffee, pissing in the gutter etc.
A Sgt, (Black guy with Island roots) pulls up and he’s annoyed because folks in a loft were complaining about the ruckus, it was around 3am, so yeah there was a complaint. He didn’t want a radio record so he came over in person.

He gave some orders and left. I’m in  back of my van putting fresh batteries in my VTR when the cops started bitching about their boss.

“Only thing worse than a skel is a Fucking Guardian!”

“Yeah, give a monkey another stripe he thinks he’s King Kong!”

I stayed in the back of man and was very quiet. When we were released from the scene I acted as if I’d been back there sleeping. “Hey! Money for nothing, right?”

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38170 on: June 13, 2020, 04:56:29 PM »

Churchill statue 'may have to be put in museum', says granddaughter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53033550

Ghandi as well. Replaced by ?  Mob rule all over the globe. C-19 has caused international brain damage.

Or maybe people around the world are saying, “I can see clearly now...”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38171 on: June 13, 2020, 04:56:55 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/1952867

“Conservatives aren’t upset because Seattle is burning. They’re terrified because it is not.”

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #38172 on: June 13, 2020, 05:03:00 PM »

Ghandi as well. Replaced by ?  Mob rule all over the globe. C-19 has caused international brain damage.

I think an argument can be made that if it weren't for Churchill, imperialist and conservative he was, those demonstrators would be speaking German.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:05:01 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38173 on: June 13, 2020, 05:16:46 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ee430b0c5b6f680c46b3e8d

Every day we march, a little more progress.

Indeed.
Now you've got Seattle barricaded.
Double page spread in my paper today, the headline;

U.S. GOING DOWN IN HISTORY

MOB RULES STREETS IN COWED CITIES,
TRUMP VOWS TO RESPOND

Seattle.

YOU
ARE NOW
ENTERING
FREE GAP HILL

Photos of the barricades.
Barricades in Seattle in what is being called "Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone"

Seattle's police force said it had received reports that the protesters inside the so- called Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone were shaking down businesses in the area, demanding they pay a fee to operate.

#####

Apparently there are armed protester guards inside the zone...[the cops all left]...at checkpoints.
The woman in charge of Seattle said on my tv tonight with a smirk, something about having a "Summer of Love".

Portland, Oregon, was expected to be the next area targeted for an autonomous zone. But police fear extreme protesters will quickly adopt the idea in other cities amid reluctance of officers to use force.

Go, Sewer!

I'm rooting for you guys.  But please protect the beloved THORNS.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38174 on: June 13, 2020, 05:34:49 PM »

I think an argument can be made that if it weren't for Churchill, imperialist and conservative he was, those demonstrators would be speaking German.

You wanna go back further and recognize British Imperialism gave rise to the conditions that necessitated the world being  saved from Hitler and the Nazis.

If he hadn’t been such a prick toward Ghandi maybe the British conservatives would have listened when he told them about Hitler.

Andrew Jackson kept the nation surging when he kicked the shit out of Brits in 1812.

He’s still a dick.

Don’t dismiss the point of view of people who ain’t you.

That’s why people are in the streets for the third straight week.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:38:02 PM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2543 2544 [2545] 2546 2547 ... 4288