Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2631 2632 [2633] 2634 2635 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1783916 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39480 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:08 PM »

I play jazz,  blues,  ragtime,  on the piano so the contributions of black Americans in the arts means the world to me.   There'd better be a Thomas Wright Waller statue somewhere,  or I will be burning down a Target store asap.   It ain't misbehavin to make room for such greats - there are only so many plinths.

His feets too big.

Heh!   Love that song (Your Feets Too Big),  which Fats didn't write or score.  But his cover was noted for the lyrics of his own that he ad libbed into it.

His was the best.

barton

« Reply #39481 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:41 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39482 on: June 22, 2020, 09:35:38 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/09/us/politics/coronavirus-death-toll-presidential-campaign.html?fbclid=IwAR0oT0H6E6inthdKz9uEAcW4AfJoas6uR2E2Z3lTUw9lwO87a86zrs6BIlw

This is old, but its discussion of the Trumpian view of death counts makes a lot of sense a month and a bit later.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39484 on: June 22, 2020, 09:38:46 PM »

ProTip: If you want to protest the banning of your symbol because it is "heritage, not hate", maybe you should do it someway other than hanging a noose.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39485 on: June 22, 2020, 10:08:02 PM »

Posted to twitter twice by the Twit-in-Chief today:

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39486 on: June 22, 2020, 10:08:52 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/politics/white-house-secret-service-press/index.html

Secret Service told the press to all leave the building.

No explanation given then or yet.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39487 on: June 22, 2020, 10:13:29 PM »

I play jazz,  blues,  ragtime,  on the piano so the contributions of black Americans in the arts means the world to me.   There'd better be a Thomas Wright Waller statue somewhere,  or I will be burning down a Target store asap.   It ain't misbehavin to make room for such greats - there are only so many plinths.

His feets too big.

Heh!   Love that song (Your Feets Too Big),  which Fats didn't write or score.  But his cover was noted for the lyrics of his own that he ad libbed into it.

What did he do, to be so Black and Blue.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39488 on: June 22, 2020, 10:15:09 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/politics/white-house-secret-service-press/index.html

Secret Service told the press to all leave the building.

No explanation given then or yet.

Folks trying to pull down the Rocking Horse statue of Andrew Jackson in Lafayette Park
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39489 on: June 22, 2020, 10:18:31 PM »

Check your privilege,  dude.

Bite me.Dude. Priorities matter.

My take is that "privilege" means we sit on the sidelines, pontificating on priorities while maybe back families really don't want their children walking past glorious statuary of slaveholders.   I think it's a given that people of conscience want food security etc.   But maybe symbolism has a special importance in how it shapes people's thinking about all that other important stuff you mentioned earlier.   

Your theory fails the pragmatism test.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39490 on: June 22, 2020, 10:22:23 PM »

I admire TR's record on conservation and other things, but have to agree that the composition of this particular statue (with a Native American and black in subservient positions to TR on the horse) is pretty much an insult to PoC....

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/natural-history-museum-remove-teddy-roosevelt-statue-new-york/

Didn't know the statue. I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

The energy on vetting statues and determining their symbolism and value to society is very much misplaced.

That energy could be brought to bear on things that matter far more to people, like food insecurity issues that condemn so many children in the USA to physical and mental health stressors that impair their young lives.

Don't waste time with Stonewall Jackson, when Mrs. Brown's kids down the street are starving.
Why not do both?

I have no issue with "both". But i do think that one is far more important than the other.

Check your privilege,  dude.

Bite me.Dude. Priorities matter.

Whose priorities?

Americans' priorities. WTF? You think we're discussing the friggin' Aussies?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39491 on: June 22, 2020, 10:28:06 PM »

So awesome that Ward wants to erect a statue of Maxine Waters.  Let that one sink in....
Might want to learn to read.
Albeit kind of late in your life.

Might want to bring something of substance to the forum that you didn't copy from an email. That and your warrantless and weak-kneed snark.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39492 on: June 22, 2020, 10:29:52 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #39493 on: June 22, 2020, 10:34:21 PM »

When the luting starts, the chuting starts!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39494 on: June 22, 2020, 10:36:51 PM »

Dow futures are falling after Peter Navarro says the big China trade deal--which Trump called "transformative" back in January--is dead.

Oh, look. The big China trade deal is dead (again).

Must be time for the Dow to drop for a few days until we get news that the trade deal is on again.
Pages: 1 ... 2631 2632 [2633] 2634 2635 ... 4288