Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2633 2634 [2635] 2636 2637 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1852913 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #39510 on: June 23, 2020, 02:02:39 AM »

The federal Covid response, where boondoggle meets highway robbery in a dank dark pit of deception and corruption and graft.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ef0d000c5b694977f2a8219

#endtrumpCesspit2020
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #39511 on: June 23, 2020, 04:43:24 AM »

Trump genuinely feels the USA is best served in a Trump presidency. 

Trump genuinely feels that Trump is best served by a Trump presidency.

I don't think he gives a shit about others or the country.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #39512 on: June 23, 2020, 04:48:15 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #39513 on: June 23, 2020, 05:13:32 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/22/us/health-officials-threats-coronavirus/index.html

More fruits of Trump's denial combined with Hannity's, et al.

Health officials getting death threats.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39514 on: June 23, 2020, 07:27:44 AM »

Right there with you Luee.

I answer to your question, Larry, I hope it would be so she could support and if necessary prop up Biden for 8 years then run things for 8 years, getting a full generation out of the Obama-Biden project before passing the football to AOC, Katie Porter, or whoever is the right person 16 years from now to take the seat.

My kid gave me a gift subscription to my old outfit for Fathers Day..

This is from nearly 20 years ago.

https://sojo.net/magazine/september-october-2001/scared-crooked

As a cheap cheap bastard, I was wondering if you’d be inclined to paraphrase the content of the linked article past the third paragraph. I seemed to hit the paywall on sojo.net

Scared straight is some fucked up shit I should be better informed about.

Thanks

I think Joe Biden is an intentional one termer.

I’ll put up the article in ful.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39515 on: June 23, 2020, 07:33:57 AM »

Scared Crooked: 2001

This spring a group of "troubled" children from Washington, D.C.'s Evans Middle School were taken on a visit to the D.C. Jail. The school's director of in-service suspension, who arranged the jail visit, said, "I wanted some of the kids to experience the jail-you know, the clink-clink, the bars." The visiting students-some as young as 13-were intimidated by guards, strip-searched, forced to undergo a body-cavity search, and left in the presence of a masturbating inmate-all so they would be "scared straight."

The Scared Straight program-founded in 1976 at New Jersey's Rahway State Prison-remains one of the most popular "intervention" methods for dealing with troubled teens. But does it work?

A 1979 documentary on the program, which depicted tough teens being reduced to quivering masses by big, scary inmates, won an Academy Award and two Emmys. The producers of the show claimed an 80 to 90 percent success rate, and the race to bring Scared Straight to a city near you was on. Legislators around the country couldn't wait to implement such programs to eradicate the scourge of juvenile delinquency. The concept continues to thrive around the country.

Sojourners Magazine September-October 2001
THIS APPEARS IN THE SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER 2001 ISSUE OF SOJOURNERS
SUPPORT THIS WORK. GIFT A SUBSCRIPTION TODAY
But many studies have belied the success claims of Scared Straight. "Youths attending the programs consistently did worse than those who did not," wrote James O. Finckenauer in his 1999 book Scared Straight: The Panacea Phenomenon Revisited. He's not alone in this assessment. According to Youth Violence: A Report of the Surgeon General released earlier this year, successful prevention programs "target specific populations of young people as defined by risk and life experience, build individual skills and competencies, include parent effectiveness training, and encourage changes in type and level of involvement in peer groups." Not exactly a description of the Scared Straight approach.

The surgeon general's report highlights 27 specific youth violence prevention programs that are effective at preventing youth violence and cost-effective as well. Scared Straight is identified in the report as "consistently ineffective" and is placed in the category "Does Not Work." In fact, studies cited in the report conclude that the program further "hardens troubled children and increases their involvement in crime and violence."

So why keep going with a method that has been found to be ineffective at best and harmful at worst? There is an increasing tendency in our society to criminalize children, to charge and try children as adults. The Scared Straight and boot camp-type programs seem to be preparing children for the prison industrial complex. And children know it, especially those in inner-city public schools.

Many young people-especially black males-start out with the heavy yoke of negative stereotypes. "By middle school they are labeled as special education, learning disabled, angry, etc.," says Una-Kariim Cross of LISTEN, Inc., a youth leadership-development organization, "and with the teacher-to-student ratio being what it is, they become marginalized."

"There are serious long-term effects of being labeled a Troublemaker that substantially increases one's chances of ending up in jail," explains Ann A. Ferguson in Bad Boys: Public Schools in the Making of Black Masculinity. "Time in the school dungeon means time lost from classroom learning; suspension, at school or at home, has a direct and lasting negative effect on the continuing growth of a child." Many of these black boys-either consciously or subconsciously-view school as a component of the "prison conditioning process."

In New York City the politicians have hastened the process. For the last three years the police department has been in control of security in the public schools. Considering NYPD's well-documented tactics of harassment and abuse against people of color, many feel that the schools have become conditioning centers for incarceration, including lock-downs, stop and frisks, and holding cells. One student told the Village Voice, "The [police] are like recruiters around here, only they don't want us for the NBA or the NFL. They want us for jail."

In the 25 years since Scared Straight was born, more than 1,000 prisons and jails have been built in the United States, yet the prisons are more crowded than ever. It's obvious that scaring kids straight isn't working. If we want real results, perhaps we ought to try loving them straight instead.

Larry Bellinger is an assistant editor of Sojourners.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #39516 on: June 23, 2020, 08:49:13 AM »

I believe Mrs.BHO would be the best choice for running mate.

Most qualified centrist Afro-American female. She would galvanize the minority voters. Based on BHO she would not follow elitist liberal lost causes as per deplorable HRC. She claims to be not interested, but can she walk away?

Do not mistake "I am a good first lady" for "my politics are the same as my husband's," Luee, regardless of what you think of HRC.

And it's a hoot hearing you describe Hillary Clinton as following "elitist liberal lost causes" given that one of the reasons she lost was that she was seen as a corporatist moderate by the "elitist liberal lost causes" advocates.

I also think that only one of the women being discussed is a threat to your precious avoidance of liberality and that is Elizabeth Warren. She is not only far to Biden's left, she already has his respect and his ear in ways Bernie never could. You should be grateful she isn't Black.

HRC lost the working class in heartland states by attacking deplorable white supremacist unionists and dirty filthy coal miners in the last stages of the campaign.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39517 on: June 23, 2020, 09:09:37 AM »

Trump genuinely feels the USA is best served in a Trump presidency. 

Trump genuinely feels that Trump is best served by a Trump presidency.

I don't think he gives a shit about others or the country.

I think at this point Trump may be self-deluded enough about his "stable genius" that he may truly think that what is best for himself is best for the country.

What you can not deny (ok, maybe kiidcarter8 can, Echo4) is that the USA is not his priority.  He thinks he can golf during crisis, shape our foreign policy to suit his development deals and reelection, bend the Justice Department to be his personal fixer, and watch FOX news for eight hours a day while blowing off intelligent briefings, and still get the job done for the American people.  He is just that great!   

But outside of trying to guess what resides in the fish-bowl that is his brain, the real question is whether we should believe that is true.  Obviously no one should, but given that his fanboys go apoplectic when he drinks a glass of water, I don't have much hope for them.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39518 on: June 23, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »

The video is treacle but the original act depicted in it deserves props:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1275146718904975360

Meanwhile we have a "president" sharing a video of a black man beating up a white employee at Macy's trying to start a race war. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39519 on: June 23, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »

“As alleged, Ethan Melzer, a private in the U.S. Army, was the enemy within.  Melzer allegedly attempted to orchestrate a murderous ambush on his own unit by unlawfully revealing its location, strength, and armaments to a neo-Nazi, anarchist, white supremacist group,” said Acting U.S. Attorney Audrey Strauss for the Southern District of New York.  “Melzer allegedly provided this potentially deadly information intending that it be conveyed to jihadist terrorists.  As alleged, Melzer was motivated by racism and hatred as he attempted to carry out this ultimate act of betrayal.  Thanks to the efforts of the agents and detectives of the JTTF, our partners in the Departments of Defense and State, and the career prosecutors of this office, a hate-fueled terrorist attack against American soldiers has been thwarted.”

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-army-soldier-charged-terrorism-offenses-planning-deadly-ambush-service-members-his-unit

Barr: No, no, wait, over here guys, Antifa!  They are the terrorists!

barton

« Reply #39520 on: June 23, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »

Check your privilege,  dude.

Bite me.Dude. Priorities matter.

My take is that "privilege" means we sit on the sidelines, pontificating on priorities while maybe back families really don't want their children walking past glorious statuary of slaveholders.   I think it's a given that people of conscience want food security etc.   But maybe symbolism has a special importance in how it shapes people's thinking about all that other important stuff you mentioned earlier.   

Your theory fails the pragmatism test.

It's not a zero sum game,  where one kind of reform has to yank points away from another kind.   But feel free to invent hypothetical tests that miss that point.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #39521 on: June 23, 2020, 09:34:26 AM »

The "president" was totally kidding when he said he wanted testing slowed down.

Or not:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/top-democrats-say-trump-sitting-14-billion-coronavirus-testing-contact-n1231688

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39522 on: June 23, 2020, 09:40:53 AM »

I believe Mrs.BHO would be the best choice for running mate.

Most qualified centrist Afro-American female. She would galvanize the minority voters. Based on BHO she would not follow elitist liberal lost causes as per deplorable HRC. She claims to be not interested, but can she walk away?

Do not mistake "I am a good first lady" for "my politics are the same as my husband's," Luee, regardless of what you think of HRC.

And it's a hoot hearing you describe Hillary Clinton as following "elitist liberal lost causes" given that one of the reasons she lost was that she was seen as a corporatist moderate by the "elitist liberal lost causes" advocates.

I also think that only one of the women being discussed is a threat to your precious avoidance of liberality and that is Elizabeth Warren. She is not only far to Biden's left, she already has his respect and his ear in ways Bernie never could. You should be grateful she isn't Black.

HRC lost the working class in heartland states by attacking deplorable white supremacist unionists and dirty filthy coal miners in the last stages of the campaign.

Those folks got suckered by Jill Stein and Harambee.

You see this clusterfuck we’re living through?

This is the society and government Republicans voted for.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #39523 on: June 23, 2020, 09:44:25 AM »

Trump and the GOP are toast... and they know it.

Will they blow it all up or just loot the treasury?

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 2633 2634 [2635] 2636 2637 ... 4288