Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2805 2806 [2807] 2808 2809 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605934 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42090 on: July 09, 2020, 10:01:17 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42091 on: July 09, 2020, 10:01:24 PM »

From June 23rd to July 5th, twelve days, the 7 day running average on daily deaths dropped from 628 to 516.

In four days, it is back up to 625.
Yeah, given deaths will lag cases and hospitalizations by some time taking comfort in lowered death rates has always been a fool's hope. I suppose that is why kiid and Trump both seized on it.

Lord knows it would be great if the virus stopped being deadly, but it would also be great if Zoey Deschanel would dissolve that restraining order, but she won't for reasons I suspect it would be otiose to explain and it won't either.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42092 on: July 09, 2020, 10:01:48 PM »

Juan  Williams says Trump 'really came out on top' in Supreme Court ruling on tax documents

The key thing here for the president in the short term is that his taxes will not likely be out in public before the November election," Williams said.

Reading Trump's tweets, you know that is not how he took it.

But I would note, Ward/Juan, C. Vance is going to be moving swiftly on this. And those are only "grand jury only" until and unless they are evidence for the court case Mr. Vance will be putting together. Things can move pretty fast and there are only a few speedbumps that Trump can throw in his way at this point.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42093 on: July 09, 2020, 10:03:11 PM »

Juan  Williams says Trump 'really came out on top' in Supreme Court ruling on tax documents

The key thing here for the president in the short term is that his taxes will not likely be out in public before the November election," Williams said.
Well, that explains the bizarre unhinged tweet storm then!
Yes it does.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42094 on: July 09, 2020, 10:04:17 PM »

The Kentucky GOP says, "We don't care if people are dying! Stop trying to prevent it!"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/politics/kentucky-circuit-judge-coronavirus-orders-masks/index.html

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42095 on: July 09, 2020, 10:04:53 PM »

Who cares?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42097 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:43 PM »

But I would note, Ward/Juan, C. Vance is going to be moving swiftly on this. And those are only "grand jury only" until and unless they are evidence for the court case Mr. Vance will be putting together. Things can move pretty fast and there are only a few speedbumps that Trump can throw in his way at this point.
I’ll wager Juan has a better take on this than you do.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42098 on: July 09, 2020, 10:09:04 PM »

NYT article today says the US Supreme Court has ruled that nearly half of Oklahoma is Indian Reservation.

"could reshape criminal justice in eastern Oklahoma by preventing state authorities from prosecuting Native Americans.

mrs bambu attended the Native American Pow Wow in Tucson.

There is an original painting of a
Native American girl in traditional dress on a stand on our dining room table.
Is that racist?

It has been ruled that my house was once owned by a black man

And now I must pay reparation

Anything to keep the peace - but nobody is painting the street in front of my house, dammit.

You should have done a better title search and not purchased stolen property...

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42099 on: July 09, 2020, 10:34:10 PM »

Looks like Joe has decided to go big...

“All in all, on the right track,” Columbia University economics professor Jeffrey Sachs wrote in an email to The Post. Sachs supported Sanders for president and now backs Biden.
Biden’s new platform focuses heavily on using the power of the federal government to promote a U.S. domestic manufacturing base. The $400 billion procurement initiative would be spread over four years to spur demand for American products and services, as would the $300 billion investment in research and breakthrough technologies. Half of the $300 billion would go to clean-energy initiatives and were previously announced.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-releases-700-billion-plan-to-spur-american-economy/2020/07/09/f51b846c-c173-11ea-b178-bb7b05b94af1_story.html

Looking forward to the health care initiative... especially now he’s brought Liz and Bernie into the fold.

“The problem is that plans like [Mayor Pete Buttigieg’s] and [former Vice President Joe Biden’s], they are an improvement,” Warren said. “But they’re a small improvement. And that’s why it is they cost so much less.”

Sen. Elizabeth Warren — 1/14/2020

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42100 on: July 09, 2020, 10:39:20 PM »

I’ll wager Juan has a better take on this than you do.

I think highly enough of him that I sent his analysis off to my students. But I also sent along Neal Katyal's analysis. I would wager that Katyal has a better take on this than Williams does, let alone you or me.
https://www.mediaite.com/tv/watch-neal-katyal-argues-trump-lost-resoundingly-in-supreme-court-rulings-could-be-indicted-before-election/

I think it is pretty clear that Trump won breathing room, only, and nothing more. The very simple, flat statement of Chief Justice Roberts that Trump's view of the immunity of the presidency is pure fabrication is pretty telling.

But Ward? Williams said it was "a "short-term" victory for the president and his reelection efforts." He didn't say it was a triumph.

"The president said he could not be investigated, couldn't be prosecuted, could shoot a man on Fifth Avenue," Williams said. "He even said he could pardon himself. Well, here is a Supreme Court saying that is not the case, Mr. President. No kings around here."

Also... Williams expects that the financial records will be leaked.

I don't expect it to be leaked. I expect it to be used as evidence in the fall.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42101 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:04 PM »

Look what these OHIO

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/annehelenpetersen/bethel-ohio-black-lives-matter-protest

THUGS DID!!!

Watching footage of the day, you can see the energy grow darker and heavier. You can hear a man yell “you came to the wrong fucking town,” a woman scream “you’re supporting the goddamn niggers,” another man threaten to “break your fucking jaw, bitch.” You can see rifles and handguns and a literal bag full of baseball bats. You can see a woman in a pink sweatshirt repeatedly calling a Black woman the n-word. You can see people grabbing sign after sign from the pro-BLM demonstrators and ripping them to shreds. You can see a biker come up behind Nick Reardon and punch him directly in the skull. And you can see the police officers watching the encounter do nothing.

“People were screaming at us to go back where we came from,” Anwen Darcy, who attended the demonstration with her mom and sister, recalled. “But I was looking around, and I saw Mrs. Dennis, who’d been a teacher for 30 years. I saw my mom, who’d been on the PTA for years and served as the drama director. I saw the woman who ran all the prom fundraisers and a city councilman. The people yelling at us weren’t from here, because if they were, they would’ve known we were home.”

When Lois and Andrea first entered the scene, someone yanked Lois’s sign and tore it in half. She didn’t recognize that person, or any of the others pushing her around. But later, once she’d made it to the rest of the demonstrators, she looked across the street. Like everyone else, she saw people she knew. She got in a “stare down,” as her daughter later described, with one of her former colleagues.

“Lois, I cannot believe you’re here,” the other teacher yelled.

Andrea and her mom knew it was time to go. When they arrived home, Lois walked straight to the backyard to debrief with her husband and drink a glass of water. Andrea thought her mom would be mad at her. But Lois was resolute. “I wanted to be there,” she said. “I needed to be there.”

Lois Dennis needed to be there, she later told me, because when she was a kid, growing up 30 minutes away in Ripley, Ohio, she would spend her summers at the local pool. From that pool, she could see a nearby hillside. And on that hillside, silently watching the kids in the pool, were her Black classmates. The schools weren’t segregated. But private pools still could be. “I never questioned or asked why. That’s why I want to stand with Black Lives Matter — that sort of quiet racism, that’s accepted for so many years, and never questioned.”

So glad I'm not from that backwoods state.
To be fair,.that's the part of Ohio generally referred to as Northern Kentucky. Anything below I-70 might as well be Alabama.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42102 on: July 09, 2020, 10:51:35 PM »

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42103 on: July 09, 2020, 10:55:28 PM »

NYT article today says the US Supreme Court has ruled that 2/3 of Oklahoma is an Indian Reservation.
...or something like that.

Just a bit late.

Scroll up, Bambi. There is a lengthy post discussing it as well as an image.

Thanks.
I'll view it with interest.
Missed it, too busy firing nukes back at China.

You might be obsessed with killing yourself but the rest of us are seeking solutions that fall short of nuclear holocaust.
Ever since he started posting here, Bambu has loved the concept of "firing nukes."
I think Dr. Freud would tell us it is on account of bambu's inferior and and non-functional... nuke.

Say people whose nation is nuke-armed, has the most powerful military in the word,  and as such they are not sitting ducks .
Go woke, go broke.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42104 on: July 09, 2020, 10:57:50 PM »

HHS Secretary Alex Azar: “We have healthcare workers. They don’t get infected, because they take appropriate precautions. They engage in social distancing. They wear facial covering. They use good personal hygiene.”

It would be a hilarious quote were it not so terribly wrong.
Pages: 1 ... 2805 2806 [2807] 2808 2809 ... 4288