Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3107 3108 [3109] 3110 3111 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610784 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46621 on: August 08, 2020, 10:02:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/politics/trump-executive-order-stimulus/index.html

Just the weest bit of overreach.

Doesn't matter whether I approve of this order or disapprove of that order.

He doesn't have the power to make this happen - or at least, under any prior SCOTUS he didn't. I don't think he will this time, either.
Oh?

Do you disagree?

So then Nancy and Chuck should sue.
I’m sure Americans will be proud of them denying everyday folks help in a pandemic.

Do you disagree with me, Ward?

It's a pretty simple question.

And McConnell ought to sue, too.
Why would McConnell sue?
Because he cares about normally conservative values? Oh, right. He never has. He only cares about power.
I think you are in the wrong forum.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46622 on: August 08, 2020, 10:03:34 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/08/politics/trump-executive-order-stimulus/index.html

He doesn't have the power to make this happen - or at least, under any prior SCOTUS he didn't. I don't think he will this time, either.
Oh?

Do you disagree?

I’m sure Americans will be proud of them denying everyday folks help in a pandemic.

Why would McConnell sue?
Because he cares about normally conservative values? Oh, right. He never has. He only cares about power.
LOL.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46623 on: August 08, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »

Oh?

Do you disagree?

Why would McConnell sue?

I think you're on the wrong planet, but it doesn't seem to change anything.

Your ongoing deceit is noted.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46625 on: August 08, 2020, 10:30:08 PM »

The idea that the Palestinians are an existential threat to Israel, which is what was being discussed, is farcical.

The rocket attacks from Gaza are generally way oversold by Israel.  Most are homemade, uncontrolled and land in fields or the sea.  They rarely case any damage let alone deaths or injuries. 

"rarely" - tell that to the folks who get hit.

You act like the rockets aren't sent into cities, too. WTF, Bo?!

And as I said, it only takes one nuke to ruin the whole day. It's great that you don't think it's an existential threat. You're wrong.

You also pretend that there was no violence toward the Jews in that area until Israel declared its independence, but this is false, too.

I was asked not all that long ago what I would do and I answered it.

What is your peace plan, given that the folks who are not Israel want there to be no Israel?!

And just pretending that that Hamas doesn't really mean it doesn't fly.

Mike Pompeo would love to see Israel get nuked because that mean and his cadre of true believers who figured that will get their express ticket to paradise... just like the suicide bombers... just on a much larger scale.

Among the charlatans in the Evangelicals are the true believing crazy motherfuckers and they are in power.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46626 on: August 08, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/article/lawyers-arrested-molotov-cocktail-nyc-protest.html

Colin [Mattis]-

“My heart — and I speak for many of our friends — my heart has been breaking,” says Tabatha Robinson, who met Mattis through Prep for Prep and has just graduated from Harvard Law. When Robinson was a teenager, Mattis would travel from Princeton to her New Jersey high school to watch her ballet recitals because she’d confessed to him her dream of becoming a ballerina.
“What college boy shows up at their friend’s high-school ballet recitals?” She starts to cry. “Forty-five years to life? Are you kidding me? I want a world in which our sentencing doesn’t look like this.”

#####

So do I.

Colin is like a cute, lovable baby.”
What Mattis and Rahman do share are life circumstances that set them apart from their friends, most of whom were raised with more privilege.
Each of them lost parents comparatively young. Rahman’s father died suddenly when she was 23; Mattis’s died in a stabbing on St. Vincent when he was in law school, and his mother, a powerful presence in his life — and a fervent Christian — died last summer.
  So they both know early grief and loss, and as the responsible, high-achieving adult children of immigrant parents, they stepped in to shoulder more than their share of the family obligations, while their peers were far more carefree.
Rahman looked after her mother, doing the shopping and ferrying her to doctor’s appointments.
Mattis took over the raising of his mother’s three foster children after her death. Their relationship is more “like brother and sister,” says Salmah Rizvi, who co-hosted the birthday party where they met. “Like, they take care of each other.”

Rahman with her parents at her Fordham University graduation ceremony in 2011. Mattis holding an award he received from Her Justice while working with Holland & Knight in 2019right: Photo courtesy of Her Justice.

#####

Good people, bad outcome.
The scales of justice are often far from balanced.

You seem to feel bad for Ms Rahman.

FUCK YOU!

Surely, surely, you don't think 45 years to life is a fair sentence for what they actually did, Ms Rahman included.

She tried to help the poor and downtrodden;

Since last summer, Rahman had been working at Bronx Legal Services, where she belonged to a team of roughly 60 lawyers representing people who want to fight eviction proceedings but can’t afford an attorney. On the Friday night before her arrest, Rahman was on a Zoom call until about 6 p.m.
It was a union meeting. After a months-long hiatus, the courts had begun to schedule hearings so pending eviction cases might resume, and the defender-advocates at Bronx Legal Services objected strenuously. “Everything was happening with George Floyd,” says someone who was on the call. “And I don’t know about you, but I was still hearing sirens. And the courts are like, ‘Get those evictions done.’ ”

About 20 people attended the meeting, the purpose of which was to share information. Rahman didn’t say much, which was typical for her at work. The job at Bronx Legal Services is grinding — many of the clients live in extreme poverty and chaos, processes are sticky, and judges and plaintiffs’ attorneys can be petty, racist, sexist, and mean — but Rahman was always “very chill, very easygoing,” says the same co-worker, a collaborative colleague, compassionate and diligent with her clients and level headed in court, willing to engage with the small-bore, unglamorous work of advocating for the vulnerable within the frustrating constraints of the law.

She's a Pakistani anarchist - and will be made example of for the greater good.

Migrated to America when she was 4.
Became a lawyer.
So you think she's being 'shafted' because she's "Pakistani", and "cute baby Colin" is expendable in the rush to make an example of/get her?

These are people the least deserving of this kind of treatment, their friends say, people who are unfailingly kind, gentle, and decent. Rahman gave a piece of her apartment floor in Athens, Greece, where she was working during the migrant crisis, to a queer Syrian refugee in an abusive relationship;
Mattis turned around on his way to vacation to sit by a friend’s hospital bed after she’d suffered a stillbirth. After college, Mattis worked for Teach for America in New Orleans and later won a prize for his pro bono work helping a single mother get child support.

Rahman worked in Northern Ireland and on behalf of hill-tribe people in Thailand and was a student of South African apartheid. Over the past year, she started attending Friday-night meetings of an informal Sufi spiritual group and had recently given a short talk to a Muslim women’s group about the sacredness of every single life, including those of animals — which is why she tried to be a vegetarian although sometimes fell short. She joked that she was a “slackaterian” or “vegetrying.”

#####

Domestic terrorists?
Nah...I'm not buying that one.
Yes, she threw a Molotov cocktail, small glass bottle with some gasoline in it and toilet paper as a wick, into an empty and vandalised cop car.
Bomb? that's a stretch.
He was there, allegedly assisted.
The charges are a crock.
Two young, idealistic lawyers, set fire to an abandoned cop car at a BLM protest, got swept up in the moment. That's all this is.

I ran this by mrs bambu…she of ultimate wisdom:

I told her the story...she went on about "there might've been homeless people living in the car ", it could've been murder".
I said, "but there weren't homeless people in the car".
She; "there could've been moms and kids passing by"
I said " but there weren't, people convicted of just DUI might've killed people too, but didn't.'
I told her about all the two lawyers good deeds, she wasn't very sympathetic.
I said, "what is your judgement"?
Her judgement..."5 years in prison, can't be lawyers anymore."

I said; "what about 45 years to life"?
She thought that was basically very wrong.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2020, 10:37:36 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46627 on: August 08, 2020, 10:36:23 PM »

So you got nothing except that you disagree.  Very persuasive.

There's no persuading the stupid. The ignorant, there's hope, but the stupid? They just get led to slaughter.

It’s not stupid it’s a view from a different perspective.

The rightwing has dominated their politics in recent times and they’re in the same apocalyptic mindset as here.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46628 on: August 08, 2020, 10:52:55 PM »

So you got nothing except that you disagree.  Very persuasive.

There's no persuading the stupid. The ignorant, there's hope, but the stupid? They just get led to slaughter.

It’s not stupid it’s a view from a different perspective.

The rightwing has dominated their politics in recent times and they’re in the same apocalyptic mindset as here.

The perspective of a blithering fool who doesn't know history, nor fully grasp the commitment of the Arabs to destroying Israel is one not worth considering.

Chime in elsewhere, Larry. Try a topic you're well versed in.

Like...Shark Week.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46629 on: August 08, 2020, 10:55:35 PM »

So you think she's being 'shafted' because she's "Pakistani"

No

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46630 on: August 08, 2020, 10:56:37 PM »

Neville Chamberlain was braver than Trump and Pompeo.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/amid-germany-troop-pullout-pompeo-013648919.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46631 on: August 08, 2020, 10:58:21 PM »

He was there, allegedly assisted.

Come on, man....

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #46633 on: August 08, 2020, 11:35:31 PM »

As posted earlier today, starving SS through the payroll tax stunt, (which only Trump is advocating, because it does nothing to help the unemployed) should play well among seniors.

The Lincoln Project should have videos ready to go in Florida and other battleground states by tomorrow, as Trump's cruelty and stupidity provides all the copy they need.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46634 on: August 09, 2020, 12:02:04 AM »

Just watching this from tother day, as fellow golfers boo the reporter who asks why the golfers are not wearing masks or social distancing, per NJ's rules.

Trump explains that the reporter is wrong - those rules don't apply because this is a political event (even though he previously claimed it was a press conference). Then he said, in addition, it is a peaceful protest.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/08/08/trump-press-conference-bedminster-peaceful-protest-reporter-booed-coates-open-ctn-vpx.cnn

It's both business as usual for the grifter-in-chief and revolting.
Pages: 1 ... 3107 3108 [3109] 3110 3111 ... 4288