Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3128 3129 [3130] 3131 3132 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1607249 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46935 on: August 12, 2020, 12:46:21 AM »

I can hear Red's voice on the right side of these panels.

Then there are women who lie ..to the police and in court to gain wrongful convictions and then sue for financial compensation, as men are carted away to prison for the best part of their lives.
Google "False rape allegations"...it's all there in black and white.

Hey, Bambi?

Why don't you try addressing the TRUTH of what this says, for a change, instead of trying to change the topic?

Are you denying that what this describes actually happens? Are you claiming that it's untrue or true less often than made up?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46936 on: August 12, 2020, 12:50:53 AM »

Red might be fixating on promulgating fake math because real math isn’t working so well for the shrinking minority of utter assholes.

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/8/11/1968551/-Ilhan-Omar-wins-primary-The-Squad-is-Strong

12,000 more voters. One fewer candidate.

Omar got 20,000 more votes.

Her opponent did better than the 2nd place finisher in 2018, with 18,000 more votes.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46937 on: August 12, 2020, 01:01:47 AM »

It can happen to any man.
Mike Pence's policy is the best...never be alone in the presence of a woman who is not your wife/'marital' partner...
..which includes, in the workplace, on the streets, in cinemas, bars, hotel rooms [maids have lied in the past], babysitting other people's children, etc...everywhere and anywhere...nowhere is safe...men need to wear body cameras 24/7, for self defence.

Today it's; "all men are bastards, all men are mysogynists, all men are predators, all men a gropers, all men are potential rapists, all men are sexual assaulters".
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46938 on: August 12, 2020, 01:09:22 AM »

It can happen to any man.

So, are you simply refusing to answer the question or is your answer that yes, women are all or mostly making it up?!

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46939 on: August 12, 2020, 01:32:14 AM »

I can hear Red's voice on the right side of these panels.

Then there are women who lie ..to the police and in court to gain wrongful convictions and then sue for financial compensation, as men are carted away to prison for the best part of their lives.
Google "False rape allegations"...it's all there in black and white.

Hey, Bambi?

Why don't you try addressing the TRUTH of what this says, for a change, instead of trying to change the topic?

Are you denying that what this describes actually happens? Are you claiming that it's untrue or true less often than made up?!

Maybe it happens more than it's made up, but I wouldn't believe anything anyone says... without proof, reliable eye witnesses and/or video evidence.
An elderly man 80 in my complex was falsely accused...he was always 20 metres away...in his home, his wife in the home...he waved and smiled at a woman across the way...[as residents are encouraged to do.] "pervert" he was labelled, an official complaint to management made by the woman.
There was a big investigation. You can get kicked out for 'perversion', elderly men [a bit 'funny' in their minds] touching women, trying to kiss them, annoying them etc.
This man had cancer, was just being nice, friendly, waving.
He was terribly affected, accused as a 'pervert'.
Glowing character references flooded into management on his behalf.
No further action was taken.

My part?
I told all and sundry that he should sue if they tried to do anything to him.  [his wife was in the small home and would've heard any words if he spoke them.]

Yes, nowhere is safe for men.
Not even in retirement complexes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 01:34:19 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46940 on: August 12, 2020, 01:40:42 AM »

Bush 41 matched some of those traits. And the Reagan/Bush years led America to some of its best years, ever.
We should hope Biden/Harris could be as successful.
I have my doubts

Despite a total lack of humor, RED's post maybe me laugh a lot.
I was chortling at the Reagan years being the American Golden Age, when I got to the part about Red doubting Biden/Harris will reach those heights.
Unintentional, but very funny.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46941 on: August 12, 2020, 01:41:43 AM »

Maybe it happens more than it's made up, but I wouldn't believe anything anyone says... without proof, reliable eye witnesses and/or video evidence.

How many rape scenarios in which the accused denied knowing the woman and his semen was found would you like.

How many assaults or harassment cases with witnesses would you like.

Jesus fucking Christ, Bambi, your denial on this is beyond ridiculous.

"Maybe."

Why should we believe you when you tell us your vignettes?! Got any witnesses to your having seen it?!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46942 on: August 12, 2020, 02:05:44 AM »

Yep. That'll cost them. Just like "voodoo economics" hurt Reagan/Bush.
How did “ voodoo economics” hurt Reagan /Bush?

Actually voodoo economics did hurt Reagan.  It effectively cast doubt on his economic policy and made it clear that even mainstream Repubs considered supply-side trickle-down suspect and possibly dangerous.  And the fact that Reagan's Veep found his economic policy wrong was a minor issue which lingered. 

Howsoever as the election played out Reagan was able to capitalize on Carter's weaknesses, especially with regard to inflation and Iran.  Reagan's economic scheme got somewhat of a pass because Carter's economic policies were demonstrably not working.  IF the economy had been running okay and the US embassy in Tehran not staffed by hostages, Reagan's economic policies and the voodoo economics disparagement could have been important.  As it was it lingered like a minor splinter in the Reagan campaign. 

Reagan, with his pompadour and anti-gov't rhetoric, was a weird throwback and lots of folks were uncomfortable and/or suspicious of him.  Which is why voodoo economics hit a nerve.  Then when Reagan squeezed the economy into recession to curtail inflation, he became fairly unpopular.  It was only after Reagan was shot that he started to be canonized, and then the economy started rebounding. 

A lot of the Reagan economic gains were tied to women, ex-housewives, joining the labor force (admittedly, this wouldn't have happened at such a scale if the economy weren't growing).  Some of it was pent up demand from the 70's and the women's movement, but also stagnant wages for males and deunionization made two-earner families the only path for many to get ahead (or keep afloat).

Why anyone would consider Reagan's two terms as a Golden Age, when the Clinton Boom was bigger, better, deeper and actually resulted in a gov't surplus (quickly squandered by the GOP), as opposed to the massive deficit financed Reagan economy.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:28:40 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46943 on: August 12, 2020, 02:16:55 AM »

80 % favor the same or MORE police presence. A devastating figure that crushes the argument for “ defund the police”.  A scant 20 per cent propose reducing police presence. If you are going to join a debate then follow it before you comment.

Of course your 80% figure is intentionally deceptive.
As Josh has shown by flipping the 80% around the other direction (80% wanting the same or LESS).

IMO, the fact that 60% say they want the same level of policing is likely indicative that most people haven't actually thought this through and really have no idea of the implications of change in either direction so stick with the status quo for their response.

A common mistake of polling (and polling results) is that asking regular folks a question assumes that those people have formed an opinion and have thought about the issue and are semi-informed.  My guess is that 60% represents a lot of folks who haven't thought it through or don't really have an opinion.

Defunding the police is a relatively new concept, and I assume most are not aware how that would work or what would replace it.  So it's entirely possible that 20 / 60 / 20 split represents uncertainty and a lack of information more than any real opinion splits.  That would be a good survey to include Don't Know or Uncertain as a bailout choice.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:38:41 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46944 on: August 12, 2020, 02:29:40 AM »

I think Warren might be the killer Senate Majority Leader that’s gonna be called for in the next Congress.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #46945 on: August 12, 2020, 02:47:26 AM »

All.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46946 on: August 12, 2020, 04:14:01 AM »

All.

I have personally witnessed hundreds of instances of men sexually harassing women. I have witnessed a few cases of women sexually harassing men, though I am sure there are more of each and in similar proportion that I have either not witnessed or not been savvy enough to recognize.

I have witnessed two instances in which a woman has claimed to have been harassed and the incidents she described did not seem that way to me.

The ratio is more than 100 to 1 in real vs. what seemed not to merit the accusation in my opinion.

I have witnessed two cases of attempted rape. I have witnessed zero cases in which what a woman claimed was attempted rape was not. I am aware of many tales from sexual assault victims and have cause to doubt a grand total of one of them. They doubt themselves a ton more, especially the persistent abuse victims. I have witnessed their doubt, their conviction that they must have said something, done something wrong and if only they had done things differently it would have worked out differently.

But when you tell them their story, without letting on that you are repeating their words, but they think it is about some other woman (or girl), they are outraged for "the other" person, because they recognize the sexual assault, so long as they were not the subject of it themselves.

I hope your wife is never sexually assaulted or harassed outside of your vision, because you will doubt her claims and she will suffer doubly for that.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46947 on: August 12, 2020, 04:58:01 AM »

http://www.dcreport.org/2020/08/11/trump-is-driving-millions-american-seniors-into-poverty/

Trump keeps shanking it because he’s always been a bad bet.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46948 on: August 12, 2020, 07:18:53 AM »

Two observations:

One way Biden could lose is by getting infected.
He's an old guy and if he became CV sick or hospitalized, then people would be left possibly voting for a black woman (I think this was a danger for Biden no matter who he picked as Veep).  Some mild symptoms and a quick recovery probably wouldn't hurt much, but would cause tension for a time.  I was surprised how Bernie's heart attack didn't affect much, he returned, campaigned and that seemed to be that.  Of course that was just the primaries and Dems are a little better behaved.

Changing gears, this is the second black person on a major ticket, and so far both have been mixed race, with both of their black ancestry related to immigrants and derived from outside the country, growing up without traditional black American (West African slave derived) relatives.  Obama was raised by his white mother and her family.  Though of course his skin color and hair (and our racist classification system) made him a black man in America.  And he lived those experiences every day.  But he also lived in white culture every day at home too.  As an adult he did marry into a black family.

Harris has an Indian mother and Jamaican father.  A rather different home experience than most black people in America.  As with Obama, no family/blood connection to the mainstream black culture growing up.  While Kamala Harris is probably considered black (or now Black) by most, she looks mixed race.  And she married a Jewish lawyer.

Not to make too much of it, but I'd posit that Americans can handle race better when the person in question isn't too Black in presentation, outlook, skin tone.  Mixed race, somebody with one foot outside the black community and able to speak to whites in their way, is more acceptable.  I really wondered how say a Stacey Abrams would go over, a large dark-skinned black woman that probably scares many whites.  One thing about race is there are plenty of gradations and America is coming around slowly.  While there's some gender fluidity, it's more fixed with less intermediate/transition ground.  And the gender intermediate zone is undoubtedly more scary to most Americans, while with race the middle ground is more comforting.

Hope this doesn't come across as insensitive, and I don't want to take away from Kamala Harris' moment or Obama's achievements.  But I wonder when America will be ready for a dark-skinned POTUS with two Black parents. 
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 12:32:00 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
From March 9
« Reply #46949 on: August 12, 2020, 08:15:00 AM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---
Pages: 1 ... 3128 3129 [3130] 3131 3132 ... 4288