Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3300 3301 [3302] 3303 3304 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1872870 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49515 on: September 06, 2020, 08:30:12 AM »

Unions threaten work stoppages amid calls for racial justice

This kind of stuff makes me nervous.
The economy is already teetering, so it just feels like the wrong time.  And gives Trump ammunition against the Radical Left.  A one or two day work stoppage is fine to protest, but a prolonged set of strikes ... ugh.

Power concedes nothing without demand...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #49516 on: September 06, 2020, 10:09:37 AM »

Few workers,  no matter how much they want to speak truth to power,  want to stop the paychecks.   I think people hunker down and try to keep rainy day funds stocked when things are this shaky.   And vandalism and fires  need to stop now,  or we're going to hand several toss-up states to Trump.   For an incompetent moron,  he's surprisingly good at fearmongering.

If I were talking to a leftist demonstrator right now, I'd say to go Full Gandhi and not react with any violence to any provocation.   The GOP has always been good at turning any sort of street battle to their advantage.  Let the redneck paintballs strike you,  then find a photojournalist...

I'd tell them to study the tactics of Spiro Agnew and learn how history might rhyme.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 10:11:17 AM by barton »

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49517 on: September 06, 2020, 10:18:39 AM »

https://election.princeton.edu/2020/06/04/trumps-authoritarianism-checking-the-2017-checklist/

A few weeks after Trump's inauguration, Sam put up a list of 10 signs of an authoritarian regime. For the third time since then, he puts up his list to see where the country stands with regard to it.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49518 on: September 06, 2020, 10:32:43 AM »

https://election.princeton.edu/2020/06/04/trumps-authoritarianism-checking-the-2017-checklist/

A few weeks after Trump's inauguration, Sam put up a list of 10 signs of an authoritarian regime. For the third time since then, he puts up his list to see where the country stands with regard to it.

Achtung!
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49519 on: September 06, 2020, 10:40:40 AM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/politics/regon-bars-gop-voter-statement-says-it-was-29-seconds-late/2189914/

Obviously, I cannot know what happened, but listening to the GOP Communications Director insist that their person was "locked out of the system for hours" before then submitting their statement "on time" rather than 29 seconds late smacks of the excuses used by a kid who missed a deadline in school or applying for a test or college or something.

"Yeah, I tried, but the computer system was down! That's it. And besides, I was on time. The teacher (or whomever) just has it in for me!"

I think it's unfortunate, regardless.

Then again, I also wouldn't put it past them to be intentionally late because it will get their statement far more press than if they had just done it right to start with.

Like I said - I don't know what happened.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49520 on: September 06, 2020, 11:08:12 AM »

You slow you blow.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49521 on: September 06, 2020, 11:36:20 AM »

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49522 on: September 06, 2020, 11:48:25 AM »

The economy is already teetering, so it just feels like the wrong time.  And gives Trump ammunition against the Radical Left.  A one or two day work stoppage is fine to protest, but a prolonged set of strikes ... ugh.

Do you live in a bubble or what?

Working Americans were already in big trouble before the pandemic with most of them saying they couldn't handle an unexpected $400 incident to settle, as they are/were living paycheck to paycheck.

The number of homeless people in America will sadly greatly increase, and they will come from the majority of Americans who hard working, but now, thanks to the Trump economy and the TRump virus.

If Unions don't fight to ensure that the uber-class knows from whom their millions come from, who will?

Don't be such a chickenshit.

There are millions of Americans who are looking for someone to look out for them, and they know that person is not Trump or Trump party.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49523 on: September 06, 2020, 11:49:04 AM »

Power concedes nothing without demand...
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49524 on: September 06, 2020, 12:11:40 PM »

Mulan Politics: https://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/movies/ct-ent-mulan-commentary-0904-20200905-dzua34dbsfcvhdig6bvgi4ulc4-story.html

The original Mulan character was spunky, a little rough around the edges as she fought to create a place in the world for women, even if it meant going against the wishes of her family. My hope was that the remake would also honor cultural elements while remaining whimsical and fun. With such an astronomically high budget ($200 million!), the expectation is that it would be just as good, if not better than, the original in capturing this story.

Yet I found my stomach in knots as Disney released the trailer shortly after controversy arose around the Chinese lead actors’ emphatic support in 2019 for the Chinese government and police during the Hong Kong protests. After the Hong Kong extradition bill was proposed March 2019, graphic videos and photos documenting police brutality against the pro-democracy protesters surfaced online. The United Nations and Amnesty International denounced the Hong Kong police action. But Liu Yifei, who plays Mulan in the 2020 film and is a naturalized U.S. citizen, voiced support for Hong Kong police and shamed protesters. As a result, the hashtag #BoycottMulan appeared on Twitter, as Hong Kong sympathizers hoped to educate those looking to watch the remake about Liu’s anti-democracy stance.

It was my hope that the actual film could exist outside of the controversy. My personal compromise was to avoid seeing it in theaters or paying for it, and instead wait until it was eventually released as part of my Disney+ subscription, instead of paying the additional $29.99.

But having watched the press screener, it’s clear that what was left of the animated Mulan has been replaced by thinly veiled support of ideals upheld by the Chinese Communist Party, its extolled virtues of “knowing your place” and what it means to be “loyal, brave and true,” even if that means violating civil liberties and injuring its own people. Where the 1998 film presented a bold, strong-willed young woman fighting against the tides of conformity, the contemporary tale shows her fighting to maintain existing oppressive conditions.

Instead of bridging the gap, the live-action “Mulan” widens the chasm between my Chinese and American identities. It felt less like a Disney movie and more like a Chinese fantasy soap opera, with cheesy sound effects and discussions of phoenixes — clear attempts of capturing the whimsy of the original that fell short.

The stunning, sweeping landscape camera angles and beautiful set and costume design did not make up for the at-times reductive presentation of Chinese culture, which felt akin to walking through a Chinatown novelty store. It reeked of Western pandering to a Chinese audience, attempting to prove its knowledge of Chinese cultural elements without any real substance, while simultaneously managing to alienate its American audience. I wondered if this was a result of the sheer size of the Chinese market and Disney’s attempt at a money grab.

Well, Disney does like money.

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49525 on: September 06, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #49526 on: September 06, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/media/the-atlantic-trump-military-fox-news/index.html

A Fox reporter verified much of the Atlantic story about Trump's comments on the military.

Trump wants her fired.

Hey, Kid? Here's an example of Trump's "stones" hard at work.

Yeah...she's not long for that job.  Another that will shift to MSNBC
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #49527 on: September 06, 2020, 01:11:47 PM »

If Unions don't fight to ensure that the uber-class knows from whom their millions come from, who will?

They should have been fighting and threatening to strike or whatever the past 3 years ...

I've seen the Dems blow enough winnable presidential elections to be easily worried.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:18:52 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #49528 on: September 06, 2020, 01:22:05 PM »

Have a great Labor Day everyone.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #49529 on: September 06, 2020, 01:24:53 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/05/media/the-atlantic-trump-military-fox-news/index.html

A Fox reporter verified much of the Atlantic story about Trump's comments on the military.

Trump wants her fired.

Hey, Kid? Here's an example of Trump's "stones" hard at work.

Yeah...she's not long for that job.  Another that will shift to MSNBC

No evasions.   Straight up:  do you accept that the Atlantic report,  now corroborated by other news organizations, and multiple sources,  is factual,  yes or no?   
Pages: 1 ... 3300 3301 [3302] 3303 3304 ... 4288