Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3407 3408 [3409] 3410 3411 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1609715 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51120 on: September 23, 2020, 10:08:56 AM »

Initial findings from the vaccine's Phase 1/2 trials in the United States and Belgium suggest that a single dose of the vaccine provokes an immune response and is safe enough to move into large-scale trials. The Phase 3 trial is being conducted in collaboration with Operation Warp Speed, the federal government's coronavirus vaccine effort.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/23/health/johnson--johnson-coronavirus-vaccine-trial-begins/index.html

oilcan

« Reply #51121 on: September 23, 2020, 10:13:36 AM »

Since liq won't ban then everyone else *should* put them on the ignore list for as long as it takes them to self-moderate the tone and content of their posts.

That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I do.   No one is going to self-moderate.   There will always be members who don't iggy box,  either on principle or because they enjoy swinging their vorpal swords at perceived trolls.   I suspect at least half the membership here finds the trollery to be a form of entertainment, which means it never ends.   I suggest a simpler approach -- if you feel an odious post is intentionally manipulative,  then don't reply.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #51122 on: September 23, 2020, 10:47:54 AM »

https://t.co/aKe5P4YFbY?fbclid=IwAR0riGNDSjncr9JJD-IXqCAEcDxpHvaT0EucA5gH9p75bsVASsnicqK9NSk

One of the folks on Trump's list is a member of the group that inspired Handmaid's Tale.

The dogma lives loudly within her.   Though her adoption of two Haitian babies leads me to think that something genuinely spiritual also lives there.

It's awful to bring in religion. It truly is,"

Senator Joe Manchin- (d) West Virginia

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51123 on: September 23, 2020, 11:07:58 AM »

Here is a story that presents a microcosm of the problems with racial animus and violence in this country.   My wife referred to this story as "the dog poop execution." 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/hetle-prather-springfield-killing/2020/09/22/e377c568-62e6-11ea-b3fc-7841686c5c57_story.html

The story of Mr. Ass and Mr. Hole.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #51124 on: September 23, 2020, 12:09:41 PM »

Yeah,  it's one of those neighbor situations where the "problem house" is really a problem house, and then this former cop neighbor makes it worse by escalating and insulting and so on.   I know from experience that if you are respectful to people, they are more likely to upgrade their poop scooping or dial down the stereo.   OTOH if you make them feel like outsiders who can't ever live up to your standards, then it will escalate.   People are just human,  and need a way to "save face."  I thought the maryjane complaint was that bullshit thing people do once they've decided they don't like somebody.   Poop and noise were the real problems.   (I have my own story of dog poop problems,  which can be provided,  if needed... or will post in Pets thread)

None of their bad neighbor shit justified being greeted at the door with a volley of bullets.   The shooter was a bad cop who stopped being a cop (his one smart decision) but unfortunately still had his bad cop attitudes.    And a fucking gun.   

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #51125 on: September 23, 2020, 01:17:00 PM »

Problems is...most Americans don't seem to want to wear masks, wear glasses/goggles, social distance, ..in public, stay home, isolate, lockdown, curfew.
"Freedom"!

Not a mask in sight at that sand bar bash in Wisconsin.

Wisconsin should invest in water cannons. They're very effective...set the temp to 'super- chill' and watch the mood of the party-goers dampen.
There's something about being hosed along the streets and into gutters they don't like.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51126 on: September 23, 2020, 01:48:49 PM »

US riot cities should invest in water cannons. They're very effective...

Latin American dictatorships were very fond of water cannons.

Bambu could very well be one of The Boys from Brazil. It would explain a lot.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #51127 on: September 23, 2020, 02:07:49 PM »

Since liq won't ban then everyone else *should* put them on the ignore list for as long as it takes them to self-moderate the tone and content of their posts.

That's my opinion. Feel free to disagree.

I do.   No one is going to self-moderate.   There will always be members who don't iggy box,  either on principle or because they enjoy swinging their vorpal swords at perceived trolls.   I suspect at least half the membership here finds the trollery to be a form of entertainment, which means it never ends.   I suggest a simpler approach -- if you feel an odious post is intentionally manipulative,  then don't reply.

Well we know these posts are intentionally manipulative and odious a great deal of the time.  The LOL! and Heh. posts are both odious and manipulative and just provoke more of the same back and forth which turns the forum into a quoting and pissing contest.  The forum as a whole lacks the discipline to read something like that and not reply.  Best not to read in the first place.   They can be ignored until they create a new handle and then if the new handle also begins to deform that one can be ignored as well until a gradual shift of tone takes place.  Self-moderation takes time and needs help.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51129 on: September 23, 2020, 04:28:00 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #51130 on: September 23, 2020, 04:42:57 PM »

That is disturbing, as is the "naked ballots" situation in PA.  Sometimes I marvel at all these Republicans who don't seem bothered that they can only win by cheating, and are supported only by a minority of their constituents.   If only power matters,  how are they in any real way different from the Putins and Stalins of the world?   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51131 on: September 23, 2020, 04:45:13 PM »

Kentucky...

All those months and it turns out Breonna Taylor caused her own death.

Nothing changes.

Black person isn’t safe FROM THE POLICE in their own damn bed.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #51132 on: September 23, 2020, 04:59:04 PM »

Preposterous charge.   "Endangerment"?  Breona wasn't endangered,  she was killed.   

Yes,  I will keep marching, so long as my legs can carry me.   And I'm still a regular hiker up mountains out here,  so am hoping that will be a long time.   

barton

« Reply #51133 on: September 23, 2020, 05:02:41 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/09/22/hanging-chads-meet-naked-ballots/

How naked ballot rule could open up the same margin that Trump won PA with in 2016.  Everyone can hope that doesn't matter this time,  or the courts can stop this stupidity on solid constitutional grounds.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51134 on: September 23, 2020, 05:49:20 PM »

Real Clear seeking new polling to get Biden's average up?

https://election.usc.edu/

But look at the trend....as I said.

They've been using them for months, Kid. Where the fuck have you been?

And I am looking at the trend.

RCP Average   9/7 - 9/22   --   --   50.0   42.9   Biden +7.1

Yesterday it was 6.5.
Monday it was 6.2.
Sunday it was 5.8.

Look at the trend.

https://www.270towin.com/2020-polls-biden-trump/national/

7.2, despite the Rasmussen outliar.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/president-general/national/

7.3, despite the Rasmussen outliar.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 3407 3408 [3409] 3410 3411 ... 4288