Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3572 3573 [3574] 3575 3576 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608916 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53595 on: October 16, 2020, 04:43:23 PM »

Must read for kid the West Wing historian and yank the West Wing fact-checker:

While I knew what the actual West Wing was like, I could not wait to be transported back to a place in time where everything mattered.

And so on the same night that Donald Trump aggressively defended his (lack of) COVID response and called Savannah Guthrie “so cute”, we saw Joe Biden fully masked, throughly and calmly, answering questions during his ABC News town hall in such detail that I was reminded of Jed Barlet.

Then we got to see Jed Barlet again. And the juxtaposition of Biden and Barlet on the same night made Trump feel like the aberration we hope he is.
I am not trying to be deep or introspective here. Rather, can you for a minute even imagine Donald Trump playing chess? Presidents generally should have the attention span for something like chess.

My enjoyment in seeing this revival was not because I have any dreams of a return to a world of older whiter dudes who talk too fast being in power. A world where a woman can be....Donna. But it did remind of a world where a president’s thoughts were expressed in more than 280 characters, and empathy wasn’t endangered.

For West Wing nerds like myself I will say that the only episode that would have been better to see back on stage is "Two Cathedrals." President Bartlet smoking a cigarette and then crushing the butt on the floor of the National Cathedral with "Brothers in Arms" playing in the background during a hurricane is my 2020 energy.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/arts-and-culture/a34396193/joe-biden-jed-bartlet-west-wing-reunion-town-hall/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53596 on: October 16, 2020, 04:52:39 PM »

Amended is the most widely used term.  27 times. It is the brilliance of the founders that to change or add to the Constitution it must be done with the consent of the people through their representatives. That is the working definition of a living Constitution...

Now I'm even more dazed.   And confused!   I thought the people elected Senators to vet SCt appointments so the appointed ones would make decisions and interpretations and set precedents that furthered a Living Constitution.   Which Living Constitution  you just said you're in favor of.   But then you said only amendments can modify a Living Constitution.  So,  if over 60% of Americans want a Constitution with a Roe v Wade interpretation,  the will of the people doesn't matter?   It's not an amendment so we can ignore it and appoint an Originalist who would gladly dump it?     

"In framing a system which we wish to last for the ages, we should not lose sight of the changes which ages will produce."---James Madison, aka the "Father of the Constitution".

The original originalist.

STFU, Red.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53597 on: October 16, 2020, 04:54:12 PM »

http://www.vox.com/2020/10/16/21519502/trump-savannah-guthrie-crazy-uncle-babylon-bee

You almost don’t need to read the article, especially if you’ve thumbed through enough classical tragedies.

Vote and be ready to punch a fascist or support the people who are punching them for you.

Kick em in the nuts
Knock em on their buts
Make em spill their guts
When you kick em in the nuts
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53598 on: October 16, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »

Amended is the most widely used term.  27 times. It is the brilliance of the founders that to change or add to the Constitution it must be done with the consent of the people through their representatives. That is the working definition of a living Constitution...

Now I'm even more dazed.   And confused!   I thought the people elected Senators to vet SCt appointments so the appointed ones would make decisions and interpretations and set precedents that furthered a Living Constitution.   Which Living Constitution  you just said you're in favor of.   But then you said only amendments can modify a Living Constitution.  So,  if over 60% of Americans want a Constitution with a Roe v Wade interpretation,  the will of the people doesn't matter?   It's not an amendment so we can ignore it and appoint an Originalist who would gladly dump it?     

"In framing a system which we wish to last for the ages, we should not lose sight of the changes which ages will produce."---James Madison, aka the "Father of the Constitution".

The original originalist.

STFU, Red.

He won’t, but he’s wrong and he’s losing.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
For you stats lovers.
« Reply #53599 on: October 16, 2020, 05:35:46 PM »

Trump got killed in the ratings. For a guy who obsesses about such things, that must hurt.

Good.

Joe Biden's town hall on ABC averaged 14.1 million viewers on Thursday night, easily surpassing the Nielsen ratings for President Trump's town hall on NBC. That alone was a result virtually no one in the TV business expected. And that's not even the most surprising part.

The Trump town hall was simulcast by two of NBC's cable channels, MSNBC and CNBC, but even when those channels are included in the total, Biden -- on only one network -- still prevailed.
The Trump town hall averaged 10.6 million viewers on the NBC broadcast network. On MSNBC, Trump reached 1.74 million viewers, and on CNBC, about 671,000 viewers. So Trump's gross audience across the three channels was 13.1 million, about one million fewer than Biden's audience on ABC alone.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/media/town-hall-ratings-biden-trump/index.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53600 on: October 16, 2020, 05:38:43 PM »

Victimhood. Cheese with that whine, Karl?

"I have to say, it was a one-sided deal. Savannah Guthrie went after the president and George Stephanopoulos was like my baseball coach when I was in the third grade," the former George W. Bush adviser told host Bill Hemmer. "He was tossing softballs."----Fox News

She was mean! George was nice! NOT FAIR!!!

What a douche!

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53601 on: October 16, 2020, 05:40:40 PM »

He's baaaaackkk!!

President Barack Obama will hit the campaign trail next week on behalf of Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden.

Obama is scheduled to appear at an event for his former vice president on Oct. 21 in the battleground state of Pennsylvania.

The event in Philadelphia will mark the first time Obama has campaigned in person for Biden this year.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/obama-to-hit-the-campaign-trail-for-biden-next-week.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53602 on: October 16, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/politics/trump-russia-declassification-lawsuit/index.html

The WH has 5 days to explain Trump's real position on declassifying the entire Mueller Report.

Oh, go for it, Donald!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53603 on: October 16, 2020, 05:56:03 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/supreme-court-will-hear-trump-appeal-to-exclude-undocumented-immigrants-from-census-count.html

Hmmm. ORIGINALLY, there was no such thing as undocumented immigrants. So, as I read the Constitution and applying textualism, Trump has no shot.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #53604 on: October 16, 2020, 05:57:04 PM »

Rudy Giuliani's Daughter Suggests You Ignore Her Dad And Vote For Joe Biden

https://www.yahoo.com/huffpost/rudy-giuliani-daughter-vote-biden-212639506.html

Kids are cute...when they're little.
After that ... the best years with them are behind you.
whereas a dog will love you forever...if you pick the right breed.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 06:00:24 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53605 on: October 16, 2020, 05:58:03 PM »

Trump has lost Wall Street. They don't like losers.
Joe Biden’s joint fundraising committees benefited from a wave of big money contributions from finance leaders on Wall Street and across the country during the third quarter.

Biden’s fundraising strength has grown as the election gets closer. The Democratic nominee raised $383 million in September.

People in the financial industry have largely favored Biden, spending more than $50 million to back his candidacy, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, compared with more than $10 million for Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/wall-street-donors-line-up-behind-biden-in-massive-third-quarter-fundraising-haul.html

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53606 on: October 16, 2020, 05:59:05 PM »

After that it doesn't take most of them long to hate you....and do that to you.

Tell us about YOUR kids, bambu. I thought you didn't have any? if so, how can expound on their development?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #53607 on: October 16, 2020, 06:05:39 PM »

Tell us about YOUR kids, bambu. I thought you didn't have any? if so, how can expound on their development?

I've observed the horror inflicted on friends by their adult children.
Friends, family, work colleagues, neighbours, media.
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53608 on: October 16, 2020, 06:08:40 PM »

I've observed the horror inflicted on friends by their adult children.
Friends, family, work colleagues, neighbours, media.

Doesn't count. if you've never raised children, you don't know shit about them.

I have adult children and I have very open and honest communication with them. Daily. And without drama.

Many of my friends have the same situation. So, run along and play with your poodle, Sunshine.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #53609 on: October 16, 2020, 06:13:03 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVMDpbEsl28

The Epstein People and the Qanon people. Both sides...Joe Biden wants to beat up God and stop kids!

Trump speaks on the Town Hall ratings.

Pages: 1 ... 3572 3573 [3574] 3575 3576 ... 4288