Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3808 3809 [3810] 3811 3812 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874897 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #57135 on: November 15, 2020, 01:30:47 PM »

Whats the argument for making voting harder and less convenient?

take a swing.

worse you can do is miss.

That's the best he can do.

The worst he can do, and the most likely, is to lie some more.

I'm just trying to elcit a response from kid or anyone on a pretty straight forward question.

People can address it any way they want.

And then we can discuss it.

And I understand the "against" is a loaded response.

But it can be made.

oilcan

« Reply #57136 on: November 15, 2020, 01:32:16 PM »

Hardest working people with the least flex time won't vote and mess up our oligarchy.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57137 on: November 15, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »

For some reason, Kid doesn't think we should focus on the fact that the equivalent of 275 Benghazis are happening EVERY FUCKING DAY during this president's administration.

Not important enough for him.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/national/coronavirus-us-cases-deaths/?itid=hp_pandemic-guide-box

Hey, Kid, want to talk about climate change, instead? The increased intensity and rainfall of the tropical storms, as a result? The increased damage of wildfires as a result? The increased migration of disease-carrying insects as a result?

The complete and utter failure of this president to respond to the climate crisis, but instead to exacerbate it?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #57138 on: November 15, 2020, 01:38:26 PM »

Though I actually dont think it harder to mail a ballot on October 25th or so - or drop it in a box by 11/3 than it is to mail it on 11/3.

You may be able to explain how it is

I think for many people, for many reasons, work, health, childcare, bad weather, etc. it may be far easier to vote by mail than have to wait in a crowded line for several hours.

Sit down on a sunday, read the ballot, mull the choices, mark your ballot, and drop it in the mail or secure drop-box Monday or Tuesday, before the voting deadline.

They may find it impractical to vote in person on election day.

so without changing the subject, should government encourage voter participation by extending voting hours and mail-in ballot options?   

barton

« Reply #57139 on: November 15, 2020, 01:40:02 PM »

Hardest working people with the least flex time won't vote and mess up our oligarchy.

We can stop wasting campaign money on people who feel forgotten by the government and don't bother to vote, and now go back to ignoring them.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #57141 on: November 15, 2020, 02:26:37 PM »

I was talking today with some family about potential positives arising from the coronavirus annus horriblis.

- More employers letting their employees work at home.
Certainly beneficial to employees who don't have to spend an hour or two commuting every day.  Also would reduce traffic congestion and improve air quality.  Employers might find happier employees and be able to save on rent and office equipment in the long term.  Also likely fewer meetings, so hopefully better productivity.
I always thought work at home was under-utilized despite its potential benefits.
Lots of jobs don't need to be done in an office. 

- More mail-in and early voting

- An ability to develop vaccines quicker, and hopefully less resistance to vaccination (we shall see).

- an improvement in online teaching/learning.  With perhaps kids getting better at utilizing some forms of technology.

- Trump being voted out

- fewer school shootings

- I was hoping there would be a realization that masks are beneficial to combat the regular Winter flu.  And that folks who are sick with flu should, sty home, mask up if they go out in public and should definitely not go to work sick.  I'm not sure if any of this will transpire.  But I wish Fauci or Biden's new health care team would talk about regular flu prevention as the US heads into winter.

Maybe others can add more ...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2020, 03:01:28 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #57142 on: November 15, 2020, 02:26:58 PM »

I think for many people, for many reasons, work, health, childcare, bad weather, etc. it may be far easier to vote by mail than have to wait in a crowded line for several hours.

Right, mon

Didnt say anything about in person vs mail in.

(though NO - I dont like the "everyone gets a mail ballot" process)

Did anyone have trouble getting balllots to voters by 3rd week of October?

This should be rectified if so for '24
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #57143 on: November 15, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »

14-3 Giants

Cool.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #57144 on: November 15, 2020, 02:47:53 PM »

Everyone gets a mail ballot, can then vote mail in and then also vote in person ?

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #57145 on: November 15, 2020, 02:52:35 PM »

Everyone gets a mail ballot, can then vote mail in and then also vote in person ?

Frowned upon

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57146 on: November 15, 2020, 02:53:38 PM »

"Joe Biden is being totally overshadowed now in transition; sort of like how he was in the campaign"

- The great Howard Kurtz

That's the "great Howard Kurtz" who was fired from one of his journalistic jobs for "serial inaccuracy".

Yeah, he's "great".

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #57147 on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:10 PM »

Frowned upon

By those who oppose democracy, aka, the GOP.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #57148 on: November 15, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »

Right, mon

Didnt say anything about in person vs mail in.

(though NO - I dont like the "everyone gets a mail ballot" process)

Did anyone have trouble getting balllots to voters by 3rd week of October?

This should be rectified if so for '24

To quote the originsl question

Should we continue the practice of early and extended voting hours and mail-in voting to encourage people to vote?

Or once the threat of covid passes should we go back to the more traditional standard of:

The polls are open Tues Nov xx, 20XX from 7A-8pm (whatver) and mail-in and absentees voting wil only be granted for cause?

The traditional @ polling station voting versus mail-in was explicitly stated in the question.

As far as I know, to date, voter fraud has shown to be non-existant.

Trump's own fact-finder could find no fraud in '16, and that effort to blame clinton's plurality was discredited and disbanded, and Trump has yet to show any evidence of fraud in 2020.

so what specific objections do you have for every registered voter to have the option to legally vote by mail?

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #57149 on: November 15, 2020, 02:56:26 PM »

Hey, I like this guy

"The vaccine will not save us.  The ADMINISTRATION of the vaccine will"

- Ron Klain, Meet the Press

Not exactly true, either. Even with a vaccine the Trump Virus will be in the human population for years to come, and it could also mutate into something worse.   
Pages: 1 ... 3808 3809 [3810] 3811 3812 ... 4288