Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1608901 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6150 on: November 14, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »

Makes sense?

Immigration
The United States must adopt an immigration system that serves the national interest. To restore the rule of law and secure our border, President Trump is committed to constructing a border wall and ensuring the swift removal of unlawful entrants. To protect American workers, the President supports ending chain migration, eliminating the Visa Lottery, and moving the country to a merit-based entry system. These reforms will advance the safety and prosperity of all Americans while helping new citizens assimilate and flourish.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/immigration
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: November 14, 2018, 03:35:12 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/13/politics/2018-exit-polls/index.html

Lots of interesting tidbits.

My own favorite is the percentage worried some people are being denied the chance to vote vs. the much smaller percentage worried about voter fraud.

My least favorite is the clear evidence that Trump's mantra about a witch hunt resonates with too many people.

10. This was (another) health care election
More than 4 in 10 voters (41%) named health care as the most important issue facing the country. That was almost double the number who named immigration (23%) and the economy (22%) and four times as much as those who said gun policy (10%).

Makes sense in that the Economy is roaring and there is nothing the dems can do but try and fuck it up. Gun policy? Who’s upset with it?
On Health Care the failure to repeal ObamaCare was a net loss for GOP candidates who lost GOP voters as punishment.  Should the dems decide to embrace Medicare for All or single payer the resulting tide undertow with wash them out in two years.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: November 14, 2018, 03:35:49 PM »

Makes sense?

Immigration
The United States must adopt an immigration system that serves the national interest. To restore the rule of law and secure our border, President Trump is committed to constructing a border wall and ensuring the swift removal of unlawful entrants. To protect American workers, the President supports ending chain migration, eliminating the Visa Lottery, and moving the country to a merit-based entry system. These reforms will advance the safety and prosperity of all Americans while helping new citizens assimilate and flourish.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/immigration
No. In large measure because Trump has no idea what family reunification and Diversity Immigration policies.actually entail. And a border wall as Trump envisions it is a.20 billion dollar boondoggle that can be bypassed with a shove, lor a ladder and a rope.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: November 14, 2018, 03:42:44 PM »

On Health Care the failure to repeal ObamaCare was a net loss for GOP candidates who lost GOP voters as punishment.

But 23 Million Americans losing their health care as a result of that vote would have been a net gain.

LOL.

And you could really tell what a disaster tha failure to repeal ObamaCare was by the number of GOP candidates lying about their position on coverage for pre-existing conditions.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:45:55 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: November 14, 2018, 03:48:57 PM »

It appears that the person from whom Red took that talking point did not think things through.   
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: November 14, 2018, 03:52:06 PM »

It appears that the person from whom Red took that talking point did not think things through.

3 out of 4 of the Red States with medicare expansion on the ballot voted to opt-in to Obamacare.

But, see, that was because they wanted to punish their GOP representatives for not voting to abolish it...

...or something.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #6156 on: November 14, 2018, 04:04:13 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/14/earth-death-spiral-radical-action-climate-breakdown

Interesting perspective on the relationship between oligarchy and environmental degradation.  I'm not sure it's quite right about the differential between the interests of the elite and the rest of us - if society collapses, or falters, you can't eat money.  And the producers do need people who can afford to buy things.  But there are grains of truth in there, regarding capitalism in its present form, and the priority of short-term gains over stewardship.  Would be interested in anyone's thoughts on this article.

On the relationship between capitalism and environmental degradation, I suspect there are a couple members whose thinking on the matter is similar to my cats thinking on modes of alienation in the writings of Camus.   

For me,  I think it will come down to some form of Remediation Tax,  I. E. all goods and services are assessed for the actual costs of ecological repair they entail.   Capitalism,  as many economists will tell you,  is an amoral system.   To have what EF Schumacher called "economics as if people mattered, " requires that government supply regulations and penalties that create a moral imperative where none previously existed.   

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: November 14, 2018, 04:30:29 PM »

My own favorite is the percentage worried some people are being denied the chance to vote vs. the much smaller percentage worried about voter fraud.

My least favorite is the clear evidence that Trump's mantra about a witch hunt resonates with too many people.

More than 4 in 10 voters (41%) named health care as the most important issue facing the country. That was almost double the number who named immigration (23%) and the economy (22%) and four times as much as those who said gun policy (10%).

Makes sense in that the Economy is roaring and there is nothing the dems can do but try and fuck it up. Gun policy? Who’s upset with it?
On Health Care the failure to repeal ObamaCare was a net loss for GOP candidates who lost GOP voters as punishment. 
Sure, that explains why Martha "Just Get it Fucking Done" McSally ran as a protector of people with pre-existing conditions despite voting multiple times to eliminate the ACA. Which is well above 50% in popularity now.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:32:20 PM by whiskeypriest »
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: November 14, 2018, 04:56:45 PM »

Like Cinama girl deciding last minute she would back building the wall

Now watch how she votes

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: November 14, 2018, 04:59:27 PM »

"Cinama girl!!!!"

"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: November 14, 2018, 05:47:16 PM »

Everyone knows about anchor babies and chain migration. Get pregnant in the US and you and your family do not have to suffer in a distressed socio-economic environment forever. 396,000 illegal crossovers so far in 2018. Over 3% of the total population of Honduras!
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: November 14, 2018, 06:10:07 PM »

Like Cinama girl deciding last minute she would back building the wall

Now watch how she votes

Even if its true that Sinema changed her mind on building the wall (don't know at all that it is) no, this is not at all like claiming you back coverage for people with pre-existing conditions while continuing and actively supporting a lawsuit that takes away coverage for people with pre-existing conditions.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: November 14, 2018, 06:15:24 PM »

Sure, that explains why Martha "Just Get it Fucking Done" McSally ran as a protector of people with pre-existing conditions despite voting multiple times to eliminate the ACA. Which is well above 50% in popularity now.
It is under 50 having fallen 11% in popularity since February. Premiums have gone up. If the democrats want to reown the mess they created then have at it.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: November 14, 2018, 06:20:52 PM »

It is under 50 having fallen 11% in popularity since February. Premiums have gone up. If the democrats want to reown the mess they created then have at it.

Some adjustments:

A) https://www.businessinsider.com/poll-obamacare-support-oppose-elections-results-2018-10
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/376210-poll-obamacare-favorability-reaches-all-time-high
https://www.kff.org/interactive/kaiser-health-tracking-poll-the-publics-views-on-the-aca/#?response=Favorable--Unfavorable&aRange=twoYear

B) The rise in premiums was a predictable result of Republicans eliminating the individual mandate.  Republicans own that.

C) The point is that Democrats did own the ACA in these midterms (while the GOP ran away from their vote to repeal) and the result was a win that matched the third highest popular vote margin in any election since 1992, including Presidential.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 06:25:11 PM by NeedsAdjustments »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6164 on: November 14, 2018, 06:22:51 PM »

Everyone knows about anchor babies and chain migration. Get pregnant in the US and you and your family do not have to suffer in a distressed socio-economic environment forever. 396,000 illegal crossovers so far in 2018. Over 3% of the total population of Honduras!

Did some old flame drop you after being long dicked by a brown guy?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 4288