Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4157 4158 [4159] 4160 4161 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1873302 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #62370 on: January 09, 2021, 01:10:15 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/americas/canada-covid-19-lockdowns/index.html

Canada has the most vaccine dosages per capita, they say, but are still running slower than they would like - and slower than we are. OTOH, their numbers are still far lower than ours, overall.

That piece needs to tell us how much of their current available vaccine has been used - and how they are prioritizing its use.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62371 on: January 09, 2021, 01:12:50 PM »

I wonder what alpha-R Senator will take Lindsey under their right-wing?

Mitt-nope, hes got too much integrity to pretend he can abide Graham

Hawley-maybe, he needs all the friends he can find even scum sucking ass-kissers like Graham

Tuberville-maybe he can coach-up poor Lindsey and Lindsey can give him some civics lessons

Murkowski-she's got more balls than most Repub senators maybe she'll do it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62372 on: January 09, 2021, 01:21:02 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2859454007707045

Lindsey Graham, traitor - according to the MAGA folks, who hounded him through the airport and vowed to make the rest of his life like this.

Graham doesnt need to worry.  He's in for six years.

Your shallowness is noted.

I think he does fine work

Your shallowness is noted.

My comment had nothing to do with either his work or his electability, but it is not surprising that you think it was.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62373 on: January 09, 2021, 01:22:51 PM »

I doubt she has a shred of interest in doing it. Or him.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62374 on: January 09, 2021, 01:24:36 PM »

"BLM was worse!" cries Kid.

"Blood running from the building!" cries Cowboys for Trump.

https://abq.news/2021/01/breaking-cowboys-for-trump-leader-calls-for-new-rally-with-blood-running-from-the-building/

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62375 on: January 09, 2021, 01:29:38 PM »

He brought peace to the Middle East.
[...]
Very peaceful.  Very stable.  Great Trump ME policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/jan/08/donald-trump-war-iran-tehran-daniel-ellsberg

I hope Ellsberg is overstating the danger in the next 11 days.

Interesting.  Thanks for the link.

Do you think Iran may be waiting til after the inauguration to hit the U.S. (forgetting anything you or anyone thinks Trump might do to incite from here on)?
How? They have neither an actual nuclear weapon nor a way to get it here. They are years away from developing either the weapon or a missle capable of traveling that far.

Why? What rational reason would Iran have to attack us? I know it is common.with the luees of the world to view Muslims as wild eyed religious fanatics but they are a government that acts in perceived national self interest. 2hy would they commit national suicide for no reason. They are people,  kiid. They have a different belief system both in terms of faith and political views, but there is no basis for thinking they are irrational.

Why would they wait? Any actual military attack on the US by a foreign government would draw roughly the same reaction from Biden as it would from a Republican president. Anyone gelling you differently knows less than Jack shit about Biden.

As for overstating danger - I think the strong threats from Iran in the last week or so has us at high alert already, no?  The overstating is when they talk of Trump and nukes.
The big fear is that the high alerts are not because of Iran, or our military, but because of Trump. Start a war, declare martial law, cancel the transfer of power, that kind of thing. To me he seems unhinged in a child who hears no for the first time, not unhinged in a General Ripper sort of way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 01:36:11 PM by Hairy Lime »
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62376 on: January 09, 2021, 01:30:20 PM »

My comment had more to do with the declining levels of testosterone in the R-party, and the utter lack of R-courage than Sen Murkowski's true intentions on anything.

Her sudden pangs of revulsion at some of her gutless eunuch-colleagues, strikes me as too little too fucking late.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #62377 on: January 09, 2021, 01:32:43 PM »

There is also the possibility she will not be a Republican soon. She was elected as an independent last time,.wasn't she?

Edit: No, 2010.

- William of Baskerville

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62378 on: January 09, 2021, 01:34:03 PM »

My comment had more to do with the declining levels of testosterone in the R-party, and the utter lack of R-courage than Sen Murkowski's true intentions on anything.

Her sudden pangs of revulsion at some of her gutless eunuch-colleagues, strikes me as too little too fucking late.

Yes. And your understatement on how late is noted.

I didn't think you seriously thought she would have an interest.

However, if she is prepared to shift from her 57% voting with Trump to 57% voting with Biden (or more) I would take her into the party if she so chose.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62379 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:20 PM »

There is also the possibility she will not be a Republican soon. She was elected as an independent last time,.wasn't she?

Edit: No, 2010.

It's my hope that she leaves their party, with a slight hope that she joins the Dems, but no expectation the latter will happen.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #62380 on: January 09, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »

Kim always makes noise and threats when he wants to get attention and appear relevant.  Or divert from domestic problems.  He's going to do as he pleases regardless. 

I saw an article giving Biden's upcoming presidency credit for the rapprochement between Saudi Arabia and Qatar.  That the Saudis want to appear more conciliatory and helpful since the Biden Admin will no doubt take a tougher line on all the Saudi BS of recent years.

As for Iran I think they desperately want US sanctions removed -- or more to the point, US secondary sanctions which prevent Euros from investing in Iran (and meeting their treaty obligations).  So they are making noise and reminding everyone that they still have power and various levers to cause trouble and need to be attended to.  They don't need the US to rejoin the UN deal but do need the US to stop actively sabotaging the deal.  If the Euros and Russia are allowed to implement the nuke deal and the US stays on the sidelines, that would work for Iran.  They want Biden to have to deal with the situation early on in his term by pushing it to a low simmer on the front burner.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #62381 on: January 09, 2021, 01:43:33 PM »

I don't know, with the Executive Branch people who have resigned I tend.to think of them not so much as acting on principle, but on getting a jump on the next stage of their careers, buy Murkowski runs a real risk. She is up in 2022, and Trumpanistas seem to have a heightened sense of grievance and a Funesean level of memory. Getting primaried is real risk for her (Cf., 2010). Though yes, she should have had this pang of conscience last January.

- William of Baskerville

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62382 on: January 09, 2021, 01:47:11 PM »

Yes. And your understatement on how late is noted.

I didn't think you seriously thought she would have an interest.

However, if she is prepared to shift from her 57% voting with Trump to 57% voting with Biden (or more) I would take her into the party if she so chose.

I get the sense her vote is for rent.

and the rent is rising.

She's an out of power Republican and a capitalist and if she can monetize a divided Senate, or leverage her postion for either Alaska or for her gain, she probably will.

If she can deliver some goodies to Alaska (that bridge to nowhere might need a few billion in repairs)  it might take the sting and some of the risk from nuttier Alaskans running against her.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #62383 on: January 09, 2021, 01:50:45 PM »

I think Murkowski and Manchin will be the two most important people in Washington the next two years.

- William of Baskerville

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #62384 on: January 09, 2021, 01:54:39 PM »

I think Murkowski and Manchin will be the two most important people in Washington the next two years.

If you tack Romney and Susie from Maine onto that list you have the real power in Schumer's Senate.
Pages: 1 ... 4157 4158 [4159] 4160 4161 ... 4288