Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1677 1678 [1679] 1680 1681 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998294 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25170 on: December 16, 2019, 06:31:31 PM »

That's what happens when you have a Republican as the head of the FBI.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #25171 on: December 16, 2019, 06:36:33 PM »

No no no no no!
You should never do that...never, it's the no 1 rule of travel...never ever ever go inside the homes of strangers, whether cab drivers, friendly locals who start talking to you in malls etc and invite you to their homes ...
Quickest way to get oneself bound, gagged, and hood over head whisked away to a remote location to be held hostage by terrorists and ransomed.

Once you're in a taxi, the driver could just drive you to any home, alley, wherever and there's little you could do about it.  Especially since in this case we were driving between towns, but even in cities a few turns could lead you to a desolate area. 

You should use some discretion before getting into a taxi and choose a driver who seems decent and competent.  Your best assurance really is that the guy has a legit job and is a presumably licensed driver.  [actually I'm fairly amazed by the Uber craze where you just get into some strangers car, whereas in SH I trust more a guy working for a reputable taxi chain].

You always need to use a little discretion and common sense.
For example, I probably never get in a taxi if there is another person, a friend of the driver planning to go along.  That's a red flag for me.

In general, in foreign countries, I prefer old guy taxi drivers over young guys who look bigger than me.  Less chance of any confrontation.  Though young folks more likely to speak some English.

In Georgia, taxi drivers were either real old guys or young tough looking guys with military haircuts and camouflage clothing.  We got in one with a burly fellow with a cracked windshield, for a 20 minute drive outside the capital to the main national religious site, and while he had that ex-Soviet tough exterior which put me on mild alert, he turned out to be a real sweetheart and with very limited English  pointed out famous sites and such along the way.  So you never know.  Taxi fares were very low there, which is probably why many had no money to make rather needed repairs (cracked windshield, bumpers missing, etc.).

Otherwise it was interesting to go into a Palestinian home between Bethlehem and Hebron* and see a little how folks lived.  And chat about family and kids and such.  Our driver's father is also a taxi driver and together they run a small business.  While taxi drivers there also willingly act as guides.

* Hebron, the largest city in the West Bank, is the Israeli name for the city.  It's called El Khalil in Arabic, which literally means The Friend, referring specifically to Abraham who was God's chosen one, who bought a parcel of land there where he buried his wife Sarah.  Al Khalil is short for Khalil al-Rahman (إبراهيم خليل الرحمن) used to refer to Abraham in the Quran, and translated as simply "Friend of God" or more poetically "Beloved of the Merciful."   I'm pretty sure that's also the meaning of Hebron in Hebrew.
I think that's a remarkable name for a city -- Friend (of God).

Hebron/El Khalil is also a flashpoint as it's the only West Bank city with Israeli settlers (600 or so) and soldiers and checkpoints within the city limits.  Netanyahu just announced expanding the Hebron settlements.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #25172 on: December 16, 2019, 06:41:20 PM »

Adventure/extreme travel...very bad idea.
Touring around the floor of an active volcano.
Another very bad idea.

The folks who were asphyxiated and or burned in that volcano were just unfortunate.  Likely thousands of groups before them enjoyed the experience.  I liken it to a plane crash.  Something goes wrong some time.  Yeah, they were some warning signs, but often there are with plane equipment malfunctions too.

Wrong place, wrong time can occur almost anywhere, on a any roadway, etc.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25173 on: December 16, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »

Trump has suggested by tweet that he might contest an impeachment in the Supreme Court. But the Supreme Court already has ruled that it has no role in reviewing impeachments. In a 1993 case Nixon v. United States, federal judge Walter Nixon appealed his impeachment by the House and conviction by the Senate to the Supreme Court. The Court firmly rejected Nixon’s case, ruling that the Constitution commits impeachment and removal solely to Congress and that the Court plays no role in reviewing impeachment proceedings.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25174 on: December 16, 2019, 07:21:39 PM »

LOL!
Yank’s moral code( such that it is) boils down to politicians with (d) next to their names are GOOD!
But if it is (r) BAD!
He overlooks the obvious gray area when the (r) guy is taking orders from the(d) President. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25175 on: December 16, 2019, 08:04:20 PM »

How trump lost his trade war with China.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5df6bde5e4b03aed50f043d0

Walking loudly and carrying a small stick...

heh

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #25176 on: December 16, 2019, 08:19:58 PM »

LOL!
Yank’s moral code( such that it is) boils down to politicians with (d) next to their names are GOOD!
But if it is (r) BAD!
He overlooks the obvious gray area when the (r) guy is taking orders from the(d) President.
Wow. You're pretty stupid for a teacher.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25177 on: December 16, 2019, 09:19:43 PM »

If republicans can’t win elections they shouldn’t cheat. They should drop out and make way for more viable alternatives.

There’s a moral code for ya.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #25179 on: December 16, 2019, 09:57:59 PM »

But if it is (r) BAD!

Huh.

Is that so...
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25180 on: December 16, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »

It was the latest rant by the New York Times’ Maureen Dowd against Trump but there in the 11th paragraph she slipped and revealed the truth;

The inspector general’s report about the F.B.I.’s Russia investigation offered a hideous Dorian Gray portrait of the once-vaunted law enforcement agency. The F.B.I. (run by Comey and Former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe) was sloppy, deceitful and cherry-picking — relying on nonsense spread by Christopher Steele.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:03:43 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #25181 on: December 16, 2019, 10:36:45 PM »

Let’s not forget that just last year
Columbia University President Lee Bollinger presented Pultizer Prizes in national reporting to the staffs of the NY Times and the Washington Post. The prize citation reads:
For deeply sourced, relentlessly reported coverage in the public interest that dramatically furthered the nation’s understanding of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election and its connections to the Trump campaign, the President-elect’s transition team and his eventual administration.

Well.
Robert Mueller deep sixed those flowery phrases. 

Still the Washington Post followed up with

While Trump has derided the dossier as “fake news” compiled by his political opponents, the FBI’s arrangement with Steele shows that the bureau considered him credible and found his information, while unproved, to be worthy of further investigation... Steele was known for the quality of his past work and for the knowledge he had developed over nearly 20 years working on Russia-related issues for British intelligence.

Oopsy whoopsy!
But the Post battled on

Current and former senior intelligence officials viewed Trump’s requests as an attempt by the president to tarnish the credibility of the agency leading the Russia investigation.
Senior intelligence officials also saw the March requests as a threat to the independence of U.S. spy agencies, which are supposed to remain insulated from partisan issues.

Of course we now know that there was no collusion by Trump with Russia, no Trump obstruction of justice , but plenty of misconduct by FBI and Justice officials bent on overturning an election. And a willing media to rubber stamp that misconduct.

James Comey is coming clean.
Will the Times and the Post disavow their Pulitzers?

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:39:26 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #25182 on: December 16, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »

http://www.salon.com/2019/12/16/giuliani-admits-he-needed-ambassador-marie-yovanovitch-out-of-the-way-for-ukraine-scheme/

Salon!!

“Hunter Biden did not violate any Ukrainian laws — at least as of now, we do not see any wrongdoing. A company can pay however much it wants to its board,” he told the outlet in May.

fucking fools
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 10:42:18 PM by kiidcarter8 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25183 on: December 16, 2019, 11:25:32 PM »

News Item
December 16, 2019

U.S. business activity improved to a five-month high in December, a new survey showed Monday, and China’s industrial output and consumer spending accelerated in November. Meanwhile, new data from Europe showed it remained mired in low growth.

The economic measurements came as the U.S. reached a limited trade deal with China and put the finishing touches on a new trade pact with Mexico and Canada. Lawmakers in Washington also reached a deal to keep the government operating through September, avoiding a repeat of the government shutdown in early 2019. The result of the U.K.’s election also eased some uncertainty about how and when the country would leave the European Union. Meanwhile, the U.S. Federal Reserve said it would pause interest-rate cuts, suggesting the economy has found stability.

“We’re looking at moderate economic growth in 2020,” said Scott Brown, chief economist at investment firm Raymond James. “The downside risks look much less severe than they did back in August.”

Global stocks have risen on the developments, with markets heading higher on data signaling improvement in the Chinese economy.

This nation is separating families at the southern border where they detain them in concentration camps and house their children  (including infants) in conditions that foment disease and death. At the very least we are raising a generation of people who have every right to hate us.

But the economy is booming, right?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #25184 on: December 16, 2019, 11:43:45 PM »

News Item
December 16, 2019

Former FBI Director James Comey admitted on "Fox News Sunday" that the recently released Justice Department Inspector General’s report on the launch of the FBI’s Russia investigation and their use of the surveillance process showed that he was "overconfident" when he defended his former agency's use of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA).

This comes days after Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s report and testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee detailed concerns that included 17 “significant errors and omissions” by the FBI’s investigative team when applying for a FISA warrant to monitor former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page. Horowitz referred “the entire chain of command” to the FBI and DOJ for “how to assess and address their performance failures” during the probe, which was conducted while Comey was in charge.
"He's right, I was wrong," Comey said about how the FBI used the FISA process, adding, "I was overconfident as director in our procedures," and that what happened "was not acceptable."

This is small time. We grew up under COINTELPRO.

Those were the days of Hoover.

There’s a raging forest fire roaring through our nation’s governing norms as Trump and the GOP throw the Constitution into the flames and you assholes are focused on a weenie roast.

And to think the Bush Administration wanted to bypass FISA.

GOP hypocrisy.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 1677 1678 [1679] 1680 1681 ... 4288