Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1732 1733 [1734] 1735 1736 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1985422 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #25995 on: January 07, 2020, 04:46:27 PM »

Trump has gone all Mad King

Paint it.

A series of events where his top goons are standing around his desk saying, “don’t do it. Don’t do it, boss. It’s dumb and crazy.” The mad king then says, “fuck all of you and this god damn job and..... ....this god damn country!” and does the dumb and crazy thing.

Trying to pull Russian propaganda out of the Ukraine for realz

Using Rudy Giuliani in any capacity, but especially for that

ICE raids and baby jails

Tariff based foreign policy

Nakedly sucking off creditors like Putin & MBS

Every single tweet, chopper talk, rally, q&a, or glimpse into a cabinet meeting.

The picture is you, the frog, in the pot with it’s lid on now, over an open flame.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 04:48:24 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #25996 on: January 07, 2020, 04:48:30 PM »

In the old NYT forums...in the Middle East forum, a lady poster explained it to me;

"Dead terrorists do not kill anyone"
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

barton

« Reply #25997 on: January 07, 2020, 05:04:41 PM »

BTW, anyone who likes ideological nuance, psychological complexity, and moral ambiguity might want to take a look at Alan Moore's graphic novel, "Watchmen."  I am not remotely a comic book guy, and had to be dragged to the book, but it was worth it to crack open the thing.  (caution:  I think the HBO series, from the episode I watched, is a lesser work that piggybacks on the brand but loses most of the nuance and the most interesting characters, so I wouldn't consider that or the film any kind of substitute for the original work) 

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I am a comic book guy, love Watchmen and have found the series very much capitalizes on and expands upon narratives of the original, while providing its own take on things. It took a while in it for them to tie it strongly to the graphic novel, but when they did it was well done, IMO.

Man in the High Castle also appealed to me, original and expanded and modified video both.

Thanks,  I may continue our HBO trial and see where the series goes,  then.   Haven't seen High Castle,  but have read the PKD novel,  one of his best.   VALIS was my first introduction to PKD,  which is a really weird place to start.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25998 on: January 07, 2020, 05:24:29 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/politics/iran-foreign-policy-2020-voters-trump/index.html

Decisive vs. Impulsive.

This article argues that how the assassination attempt is seen in the months to come, between those terms, will determine in good measure how the election goes. Currently the GOP is insisting the first, while the Dems are pushing the second, as we have seen above.

The author goes further, talking about how the GOP likes to think of its leaders as decisive and the Dems prefer to think of theirs as deliberative.

I found this to be an even-handed discussion of the ideas, regardless of whether I view it even-handedly or not.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25999 on: January 07, 2020, 05:24:42 PM »

In the old NYT forums...in the Middle East forum, a lady poster explained it to me;

That is naive. Soleimani did not kill anyone, he planned for others to do it. Those people are.still there.

Also from the NYT forum, killing your enemies, if done badly, increases their number.
A parrot bit me.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26000 on: January 07, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e14d277c5b6c7b859d1c8b9

Mitch has shown the flop cards.

Time to re open the House intelligence Committee for a second round of hearings based on new evidence and the availability of new witnesses.

A sane administration with sane leadership can walk and chew gum at the same time.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #26001 on: January 07, 2020, 05:44:58 PM »

That is naive. Soleimani did not kill anyone, he planned for others to do it. Those people are.still there.

Also from the NYT forum, killing your enemies, if done badly, increases their number.

Same thing.
It was obviously decided that Soleimani had to be eliminated...and that it would be beneficial.
Same deal as the Hamas? leader in the wheelchair who was turned into "Swiss cheese" on his way to prayers.
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26002 on: January 07, 2020, 05:50:10 PM »

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/republicans-for-the-rule-of-law-impeachment-witnesses_n_5dfec4afe4b0843d35fd0c00

The GOP group Republicans for the Rule of Law plans to run ads in some states insisting that the Senate Trial call four witnesses: Mulvaney, Pompeo, Bolton, and Giuliani.

"Call your senator!"
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #26003 on: January 07, 2020, 06:06:04 PM »

That is naive. Soleimani did not kill anyone, he planned for others to do it.
LOL!

barton

« Reply #26004 on: January 07, 2020, 06:09:43 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/politics/iran-foreign-policy-2020-voters-trump/index.html

Decisive vs. Impulsive.

This article argues that how the assassination attempt is seen in the months to come, between those terms, will determine in good measure how the election goes. Currently the GOP is insisting the first, while the Dems are pushing the second, as we have seen above.

The author goes further, talking about how the GOP likes to think of its leaders as decisive and the Dems prefer to think of theirs as deliberative.

I found this to be an even-handed discussion of the ideas, regardless of whether I view it even-handedly or not.

I think one can make a strong argument that being less trigger-happy and more deliberative is inherently better when you are looking at volatile and complicated geopolitics.  The problem with 45 is that he can bluster and rage but is neither decisive nor deliberative.  Without constant steering and handling he is a brainless,  and rudderless mascot.   He will only occasionally stumble into an appearance of strong decisiveness in the way that Inspector Clouseau occasionally appeared competent.   

Another way to consider the merits of deliberative is to ask what you would want if someone had their finger on the missile launch button,  and NORAD were to get a false blip coming over the pole.   Do you want Henry Fonda in "Failsafe" or Martin Sheen in "The Dead Zone"?  (metaphors only,  I'm not using movies as primers on nuclear crisis management)

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26005 on: January 07, 2020, 06:22:48 PM »

The Russian bomb is going off inside the White House (or on an embezzlement golf junket).

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #26006 on: January 07, 2020, 06:28:00 PM »

LOL!

Red: “My brother is such a pain in my ass!”

Larry: “Yeah, kiid is such a dick!”

Red: “Hey! Watch your mouth before I slap the taste out of it.”

Larry: “But you said...”

Red: “Never mind what I said, that’s my brother and I’ll say what I goddamned please!

Soleimani was a son of a bitch, but he was THEIR son of a bitch.

Most of their population is young and doesn’t give two shits over Sunni or Shiite but right now they love their nation more than they’re pissed off with the leadership.

That missile strike gave the Iranian mullahs cover and an opportunity to appeal to nationalism.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26007 on: January 07, 2020, 06:45:33 PM »

LOL!

...which means that replacing him with the next guy down makes little to no difference to Iran's plans and if the goal was to stop an attack (which seems to be mythical, not real), that would not do it.

Not to mention the side effect of our also killing a top Iraqi official seems guaranteed to have us further alienated from that country, as well.

Keep it up, laughing boy.

But don't plan on hanging on in any Trump golf courses.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #26008 on: January 07, 2020, 07:19:19 PM »

Charlie Manson didn't kill anyone.   Putting him away did no good.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #26009 on: January 07, 2020, 08:03:01 PM »

Charlie Manson didn't kill anyone.   Putting him away did no good.

Good argument as to why trump needs to be removed for the crimes of which he’s been impeached.
Pages: 1 ... 1732 1733 [1734] 1735 1736 ... 4288