Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1599295 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #27420 on: February 10, 2020, 09:32:54 AM »

You'd think hospitals and funeral homes would be required to report deaths to the government,  who would then enter it into a database and stop SS checks and any other government pensions or assistance.

It seems now its mostly up to relatives.  Its likely a state by state thing.  But it seemed ad hoc and honor system in NJ.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 01:06:23 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #27421 on: February 10, 2020, 10:10:28 AM »

The newest updates of auto-correct seem to be a little weird.   Been having trouble with mine,  too.   

Basic problem with safety net cuts is that the billions saved now means even more billions paid down the road.   Numerous studies have found, for example,  that cutting programs that impact children in need correlates with higher costs for law enforcement,  incarceration, medical care,  dealing with homelessness, poverty,  mental illness,  etc. a decade or two later.   Moynihan's "cycle of poverty" is the reality.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27422 on: February 10, 2020, 11:27:18 AM »

Eliminating payments to people who have died

Imagine - you are challenging this.

Too funny.
Cutting waste

Lower prescription drug prices

Mon Dieu.

As you progress from asshole to scumbag.

That's not what is proposed for the disabled and you damned well know it. Ditto other parts of it.

Fuck you.

If I had the power to put you on "iggy" I would do so.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27423 on: February 10, 2020, 11:32:08 AM »

Meanwhile, Kid, not a word from you about Trump's change of commitment from eliminating the deficit in his term to not eliminating it even in the next 10 (which would be 13 years), but maybe later than that - and doing it on the lives of others...

but also he's betting on a growth rate that he has already shown he cannot manage to maintain, so that instead of our seeing his claimed solution, it will keep getting worse.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

oilcan

« Reply #27424 on: February 10, 2020, 12:21:44 PM »

oilcan

« Reply #27425 on: February 10, 2020, 12:27:58 PM »

Bloomers is spending a crap-ton of money.  And he's run a political unit with the population and political weight of a small nation, so they really can't use the Mayor Pete smackdown on him.  This will be interesting, when he jumps into the primaries. 

I did not know he will be 78 this Friday.  Looks more like he's in his late sixties.  If he wins the Oval, I expect that will get him aging at a more standard velocity. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27426 on: February 10, 2020, 12:47:55 PM »

From two weeks ago:
https://www.cbo.gov/publication/56020

In CBO’s projections of the outlook under current law, deficits remain large by historical standards, federal debt grows to 98 percent of GDP by 2030, and the economy expands at an average annual rate of 1.7 percent from 2021 to 2030.

CBO also now projects that if current laws generally remained in place, the cumulative deficit for the 2020–2029 period would be about $12.4 trillion—$0.2 trillion (or 1.3 percent) more than the $12.2 trillion in the agency’s August 2019 baseline projections. CBO’s current projections of total outlays over that period changed very little since August, and total revenues are about 0.3 percent smaller.

But what isn't being discussed, yet, is that one of the impacts of Trump's proposals is that there will be less money flowing through the system. So, our options are either the status quo of current laws, which see an ever ballooning debt or something even worse if we heed the president's budget, despite his claims to the contrary.

Existing laws won't fix the problems that Trump will have left us with, either those newly his or those he inherited, promised to deal with, and failed to come close to addressing.

Infrastructure is the immediate big ticket item that is essentially untouched. In 2015, the EPA estimated that we'd need $472 billion to fix our drinking water systems over the next 20 years. Astonishingly enough, it did not include a survey of lead pipes in use, which is mandated for inclusion in the new survey, which will be completed later this year. In other words, that dollar figure is low, but we have no idea just how low it is. OTOH, we do know that Reuters found 3810 US areas with lead poisoning double Flint's in 2017. Somehow, I don't think it's gotten better!

In 2017, the American Society of Civil Engineers estimated that we needed to spend more than $2 trillion dollars beyond the expected budget items over the next decade on infrastructure. We currently spend roughly $200 billion at the federal level. The estimate of total cost over the decade projected was $4.6 trillion.

Why do we have this backlog? Here's part of it:

And... the president and the CBO both have presented us with projections that fail to consider increasing numbers of natural disasters - hurricanes, floods, etc.
https://riskcenter.wharton.upenn.edu/lab-notes/federal-disaster-rebuilding-spending-look-numbers/

The infrastructure report from 2017 failed, IMO, to adequately consider the increasing risk to our decaying bridges and dams from the destructiveness of the increased climate issues - we saw an example of this from having an area of Iowa that was under water for 6 months of 2019, from a combination of unexpectedly high flooding and failures of levees.

This was the FY2020 federal infrastructure budget plan from the White House:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/FY20-Fact-Sheet_Infrastructure_FINAL.pdf

They proposed putting in a trillion dollars over the next decade... but it isn't an additional trillion, even though they make it sound that way.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #27427 on: February 10, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »

I'm posting from my phone which is a new experience for me.   The keypad that came with my phone was a horror.   But I downloaded an app called Perfect Keyboard Pro and its pretty good.   Such as it learns which words I want instead of the autocorrect suggestion.   So for instance it stops changing Knicks into knocks.  Still it mucks you up if you don't proofread.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #27428 on: February 10, 2020, 01:02:06 PM »

Ad hoc turned into Ad HIV was definitely an amusing one.

Bernie's got an almost-hometurf edge in NH, but I think Amy could give him a pretty good fight. 

Bloomberg is sort of the test of how far big ad money can get you with herd of cats Democrats, and could scoop up some Indies in states where they can vote in primaries, or can be persuaded to register partisan.  He's maybe doing some good in his campaign to register a half million voters.  Every bit helps, when it comes to jumping over voting barriers. 

Ireland's election might be offering some clues to the Democrats today.  Sinn Fein’s left-wing proposals for tackling Ireland’s housing crisis and healthcare system proved a powerful draw for young voters.  They got the most votes, in spite of the violent history.  Living in a city with a monstrous housing problem right now, I know that affordable housing can be a visceral issue.  I don't think you have to be "urban" to display affordable housing prominently on your platform. 

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #27429 on: February 10, 2020, 01:19:25 PM »

It's evident that Trumps budget won't be enacted, so its political theater.  Just a campaign and message document.

I find it interesting that Trump claims to protect SS and Medicare but is targeting Medicaid for cuts.   Obviously they see that as the weak sister.   Make sure the elderly get their benefits but screw over the poor (no doubt that'll have a racial edge to it during the campaign).

And there are the fine print cuts to Medicare and SS as well.   

Hundreds of billions more for weapons and soldiers, tax cuts for the rich and businesses,  but there's no money for the poor and sick.   Pathetic.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27430 on: February 10, 2020, 01:22:32 PM »

Reducing or eliminating the Federal Government’s role in electricity transmission infrastructure ownership, thereby increasing the private sector’s role, and introducing more market-based incentives, including rates, for power sales from Federal dams would encourage a more efficient allocation of economic resources and mitigate risk to taxpayers.

Like that's a good idea.

And like this actually mitigates risk to the citizenry - a bigger problem than to the taxpayer!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #27431 on: February 10, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »

Looks like I need to start doing Preview before Posting ...

I'm a Warren fan.   Things are fluid.   If Biden falters and drops out, does Mayor Pete grab the lead while Sanders/Warren split the progressive vote?   Could Bloomberg swoop in and replace Biden.  Or does Warren crumble before Biden, allowing Sanders to soar against a divided moderate vote?  So the main questions,  does a moderate or progressive drop out first?  Can Bloomberg buy his way in to the convo?   Or will it stay bunched up with nobody dropping out?

Biden is counting on SC as his firewall to get him back in the game.  Not sure Warren has any such security.  She would be able to take NH if not for Sanders.  Her path seems unclear unless Sanders stumbles or has further health trouble.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27432 on: February 10, 2020, 01:42:41 PM »

In the final numbers, 29% of likely primary voters say they back Sanders, 22% back former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg, 11% support former Vice President Joe Biden, 10% support Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren and 7% back Minnesota Sen. Amy Klobuchar. The rest of the field falls at 5% or less.

Only about half of likely primary voters in New Hampshire say they have definitely decided for whom they will vote, meaning that despite the stability in the numbers throughout the six-day tracking period, there remains room for preferences to shift.

CNN

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #27433 on: February 10, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »

4th place would be bad news for Warren or Biden. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #27434 on: February 10, 2020, 02:19:47 PM »

AMY KLOBUCHAR SURGES INTO THIRD PLACE IN NEW HAMPSHIRE AFTER DEMOCRATIC PRIMARY DEBATE: POLLS

https://www.newsweek.com/amy-klobuchar-third-place-new-hampshire-poll-surge-abc-news-debate-1486472

Amy is now my 1st choice. She may be more electable than Pete to religious purists?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.
Pages: 1 ... 1827 1828 [1829] 1830 1831 ... 4288