Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1854 1855 [1856] 1857 1858 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583980 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #27825 on: February 21, 2020, 07:15:40 PM »

Josh,  thanks for the kind words,  and especially thanks for reminding me how median and average are so divergent in America.   

Japan offers one possible path to raise median net worth,  which is that they buy fewer consumer items per capita and thus sock more of their wages into long-term savings.  As Krug Man has noted,  high rates of personal saving often indicates a healthy economy.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27826 on: February 21, 2020, 07:29:14 PM »

Gene Autry owned the Angels baseball team and he owned the television station Channel 5.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_Autry

He showed the Angels baseball games on his own channel.

He also showed "THRILLERS" all night, and he showed all of the monster movies and great stuff.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KTLA

Gene Autry was a smart businessman.

And I bet Magic Johnson could own his own television station, no problem for him.

Salute,

Tony V.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #27827 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:56 PM »

I hope that all of you make a fortune, I wish you all the best of success, we all deserve it.

One of my best buddies, he is gone now, but he cooked steak and lobster for the homeless people in the shelters that he managed.

Life does not need to be so hard.

Salute,

Tony V.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27828 on: February 21, 2020, 09:19:19 PM »

Josh,  thanks for the kind words,  and especially thanks for reminding me how median and average are so divergent in America.   

Japan offers one possible path to raise median net worth,  which is that they buy fewer consumer items per capita and thus sock more of their wages into long-term savings.  As Krug Man has noted,  high rates of personal saving often indicates a healthy economy.
Uh, no.
But your Japan assessment  is what you get for reading the “ Krug Man”. LOL
The Nikkei Stock Average crashed in 1989 and today is 39% below its all-time high.

Worse. The Japan national pension fund can’t keep up with the country’s elderly population. So,
a typical couple would have to save at least $185,000—in addition to whatever they contributed to their pension over their lifetime—to sustain themselves after retiring.

This is not a sign of a healthy economy.

barton

« Reply #27829 on: February 21, 2020, 09:29:05 PM »

That was the point,  oh thickheaded one.   Things would have crunched harder were it not for the higher rate of savings.   Neither Krugman,  nor I,  say any economy is bulletproof,  just that,  whatever else goes on,  higher rates of personal saving is a buffer and also allows faster recovery.   And I said "often indicates, " not "always ensures. "

Thanks for parade wishes!   I had some hemorrhoid tissue last year that I thought would have made a great float,  if blown up to about fifty feet,  in the Macy's parade.  I can send you some pictures,  if you're interested. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #27830 on: February 21, 2020, 09:37:14 PM »

Most politicians are millionaires, given that having a million dollars in assets no longer makes you wealthy (this I know from personal experience).  For many millionaires, it is just a matter of having one house,  some savings,  and an IRA.   It's not 1952, when a millionaire was generally someone who could buy a yacht and a second mansion.   

Anyway,  being affluent is not a substantial argument for or against a politician's position on worker rights and advancement.   If someone has an actual point about their policy ideas,  then there would be an actual discussion.   Otherwise,  zzzzzzzzz

Having a million dollars in assets makes you wealthy.

"The median net worth of the average U.S. household is $97,300." Under 35, it's about $73.5 k.

That you have an IRA and a house sufficient to put your wealth in that category is great - but while it is not J. Paul Getty land, you are so far above the median as to make a claim that you are not wealthy absurd.

I'll grant you that "a household in the U.S. has an average net worth of $692,100, according to the most recent data from the Federal Reserve’s Survey of Consumer Finances," but that's the arithmetic mean, Barton, which is more than a tad skewed by the folks in the top 1%.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/whats-your-net-worth-and-how-do-you-compare-to-others-2018-09-24
Figures are from 2016

Used to be a saying a few years back about “rich and wealthy”

Shaw is rich. The guy who signs his checks is wealthy..
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27831 on: February 21, 2020, 10:00:01 PM »

That was the point,  oh thickheaded one.   Things would have crunched harder were it not for the higher rate of savings.
uh, no. Savings has done nothing for the Japanese Economy.
  Neither Krugman,  nor I,  say any economy is bulletproof,  just that,  whatever else goes on,  higher rates of personal saving is a buffer and also allows faster recovery.   And I said "often indicates, " not "always ensures. "
LOL
Savings has done nothing for the Japan Economy.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27832 on: February 21, 2020, 10:06:59 PM »

But Ward? Your attacking either of them is hilarious - the only reason that kind of duplicitous, hypocritical crap flies is that your party doesn't care if you are in bed with a racist crook and with the Russians.

Trump is no racist by any standard.
Nor is he in bed with the Russians.

https://mavenroundtable.io/theintellectualist/news/trump-says-warning-about-russian-interference-in-the-2020-election-is-a-hoax-a9G1sx61b0iufQh3WmKCOw?fbclid=IwAR2XuHGcK4aetWCeW4iixom5pRzDjmwe9e9OEdJ3U_RtOnFd7IEO8_Nv62Y

Trump remains in bed with the Russians.

Ward remains devoted to Trump's lies.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #27833 on: February 21, 2020, 10:30:37 PM »

That was the point,  oh thickheaded one.   Things would have crunched harder were it not for the higher rate of savings.
  Neither Krugman,  nor I,  say any economy is bulletproof,  just that,  whatever else goes on,  higher rates of personal saving is a buffer and also allows faster recovery.   And I said "often indicates, " not "always ensures. "
LOL

For your edification....

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0310/savings-are-a-blessing-in-a-slow-recovery.aspx

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27835 on: February 21, 2020, 10:48:34 PM »

https://www.axios.com/2020-election-elizabeth-warren-black-future-action-fund-babadf81-92fa-4c5d-b977-f5d5c3ad9861.html?fbclid=IwAR0L5-KGTShfsdUD_ilyBR8Gws42hS5Cns_UuwSE2wbPHJTKyMDwoyRLe9E

Black to the Future Action Fund, a think tank and political organizing group, was formed by Black Lives Matter co-founder Alicia Garza. This is their first endorsement of a presidential candidate, though they've endorsed down-ballot Democrats like Stacey Abrams and Lucy McBath.

What they're saying: Garza told Axios that the group likes Warren's "analysis of how power operates in this country" and have decided that she is the best vehicle to help shift power in the direction of our communities."

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #27836 on: February 21, 2020, 11:02:55 PM »

LOL

For your edification....

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0310/savings-are-a-blessing-in-a-slow-recovery.aspx
LOL
At least you had the good sense to abandon Japan as any role model for economic growth.
As for us. THE CBO reports the economy has grown faster than it predicted in2016 and a bonus has been lower borrowing costs for both the Government and consumers.
Makes you wonder how Krugman keeps his job. 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27837 on: February 21, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »

Usual lack of citation from the trumpophant on a skewed economic boast meant to hide the rolling disaster his favored polices have loosed on the disapproving majority in this country.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27838 on: February 21, 2020, 11:41:28 PM »

But Ward? Your attacking either of them is hilarious - the only reason that kind of duplicitous, hypocritical crap flies is that your party doesn't care if you are in bed with a racist crook and with the Russians.

Trump is no racist by any standard.
Nor is he in bed with the Russians.

https://news.yahoo.com/rohrabacher-confirms-he-offered-trump-pardon-to-assange-for-proof-russia-didnt-hack-dnc-email-131438007.html

Trump remains in bed with the Russians.

“White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham immediately denounced the claim about a pardon discussion with Assange as a “complete fabrication,” adding that the president “barely knows Dana “Rohrabacher”

Just like he "barely knows" Lev Parnas.

Ward remains devoted to Trump's lies.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27839 on: February 22, 2020, 12:34:23 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 1854 1855 [1856] 1857 1858 ... 4288