Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1914 1915 [1916] 1917 1918 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584598 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #28725 on: March 11, 2020, 11:38:13 AM »

Another approach is to get one last chance to put your progressive agenda to the American public.  Try to get Biden to commit to the left positions he's staked out during the campaign. That is, Bernie doesn't have to trash Biden.  Just make his own case, make a contrast with Biden's stances, and get Biden to recommit to the progressive stuff he endorsed already.

I hope this is how Bernie goes about it.  I'd like to see it.

That there is a possibility that he may not points to the reason why I could never count myself as a supporter of his.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #28726 on: March 11, 2020, 11:48:28 AM »

Just out the Donald intends to improve things by cutting taxes. Yes more trickle down. You want vaccines, you want improved health services, you want social programs, you want the federal government to take charge, forget about it.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28727 on: March 11, 2020, 11:55:41 AM »

I think this election may be as much about turnout, Needs - as it is swaying independents.  The independents Trump already grabbed have plenty of reason to stick with him - as the reasons they DID have come to fruition.  Grabbing more independents - gravy - and would be done through the debate season, I'd think.
The talk is how Biden is getting turnout that Hilary didnt - and also getting a higher male vote (see Michigan) - which is promising for your side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28728 on: March 11, 2020, 12:14:16 PM »

I think Biden's blasting (or mocking, either way) the media for having buried his campaign prematurely is dumb.

I don't think it has a patch on Trump's belittling the media - and unlike Trump, it has the merit of being true. Don't know if you are prepared to admit that.

I happen to agree that the less Joe is speaking to crowds the overall better he sounds, but as we learned, again with Trump, apparently the public cares far less about verbal gaffes, mixed up language, and confusion by its candidates and leaders than the media expects it to!

Then again, they also seem to care less about competence than I would have hoped. 61% of the voters in the last election felt that Trump was not competent to be president. 17% of those voted for him!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28729 on: March 11, 2020, 12:19:31 PM »

I think this election may be as much about turnout, Needs - as it is swaying independents.  The independents Trump already grabbed have plenty of reason to stick with him - as the reasons they DID have come to fruition.  Grabbing more independents - gravy - and would be done through the debate season, I'd think.
The talk is how Biden is getting turnout that Hilary didnt - and also getting a higher male vote (see Michigan) - which is promising for your side.

1.  Polling does not show independents sticking with Trump.  In head to heads against Biden (or Sanders) https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3657 or through impeachment when a majority of independents wanted him gone.

2.  I don't know what you think has come to fruition under Trump that independents approve of.  I know you won't answer that, as you consistently dodge the question on what Trump has accomplished.  But his signature accomplishment, the Trump Tax Cuts, are enormously unpopular.  And had he accomplished what he wanted on health care we wouldn't be having this conversation because he likely would have been impeached.  Which is why Republicans are trying to accomplish this via the courts, and making sure those decisions come down after the election.

3.  Trump camp knows their candidate will look weak in debates.  He did against Clinton, and his cognitive skills look to be in decline since.  Which is why, as I said, they have laid the groundwork to skip them.  My opinion, had Warren won, he doesn't debate her.  Against Biden he may, but its not 100%.  In any case, the contention that he gains followers during the debates is contrary to the historical record and...debatable.

4.  Yes, turnout helps Biden as what will be driving the higher turnout (as with midterm elections in 2018) will be the anti-Trump vote.  And yes obviously, Biden is expected to do better with working class voters than Clinton did.  This is why Trump fears that match-up the most.  And was making impeachable maneuvers to weaken him that a Republican Congress, to their shame, is doing their best to continue.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28730 on: March 11, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »

Then again, they also seem to care less about competence than I would have hoped. 61% of the voters in the last election felt that Trump was not competent to be president. 17% of those voted for him!

I would say there is a big difference between verbal gaffes from Biden and the reveals from Trump that not only speak to incompetence, but to malign intent.  See most recent presser the CDC.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #28731 on: March 11, 2020, 12:31:40 PM »

Life imitates Hollywood.

The God-damned plane has crashed into the Mountain!

Comment from unidentified Bernie Sanders aid as his candidate lost even more ground to Joe Biden.

Sanders lackluster effort these past few weeks while the democrat establishment has staged an all-out effort against his campaign leaves many wondering if Sanders’ partisans will turnout on Election Day.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #28732 on: March 11, 2020, 12:33:20 PM »

The independents Trump already grabbed have plenty of reason to stick with him - as the reasons they DID have come to fruition. 

2.  I don't know what you think has come to fruition under Trump that independents approve of.  I know you won't answer that, as you consistently dodge the question on what Trump has accomplished.

First off, there's that wall that Trump built, with Mexican money.
And that big infrastructure plan that created jobs and started rebuilding the aging country.  There's the deficit he tackled and reduced.  And that improved health care system he replaced Obamacare with.

Independents liked those promises and all were kept ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28733 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:55 PM »

1.  Polling does not show independents sticking with Trump.  In head to heads against Biden (or Sanders) https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=3657 or through impeachment when a majority of independents wanted him gone.

Really?

The biggest swing was among independents, who oppose impeachment now by 49 percent to 34 percent, a reversal from October when they supported impeachment by 48-39.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/21/trumps-impeachment-opposed-by-more-independents-poll/

Just saying things doesnt make em true, Needs.  But welcome back.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #28734 on: March 11, 2020, 12:35:38 PM »

The independents Trump already grabbed have plenty of reason to stick with him - as the reasons they DID have come to fruition. 

2.  I don't know what you think has come to fruition under Trump that independents approve of.  I know you won't answer that, as you consistently dodge the question on what Trump has accomplished.

First off, there's that wall that Trump built, with Mexican money.
And that big infrastructure plan that created jobs and started rebuilding the aging country.  There's the deficit he tackled and reduced.  And that improved health care system he replaced Obamacare with.

Independents liked those promises and all were kept ...
Red got a tax cut.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28735 on: March 11, 2020, 12:37:07 PM »

3.  Trump camp knows their candidate will look weak in debates.  He did against Clinton, and his cognitive skills look to be in decline since.  Which is why, as I said, they have laid the groundwork to skip them.  My opinion, had Warren won, he doesn't debate her.  Against Biden he may, but its not 100%. 

Absolutely ridiculous

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28736 on: March 11, 2020, 12:39:58 PM »

Really?

The biggest swing was among independents, who oppose impeachment now by 49 percent to 34 percent, a reversal from October when they supported impeachment by 48-39.

https://nypost.com/2019/11/21/trumps-impeachment-opposed-by-more-independents-poll/

Just saying things doesnt make em true, Needs.  But welcome back.

Three months later:

Though the numbers are largely split down party lines, the Fox News poll shows that 53 percent of independents believe Trump should be removed, compared to just 34 percent who want him to remain in office.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-news-poll-record-economy-ratings-as-half-say-senate-should-remove-trump

Cherry picking polling you like doesn't make em true, kiidcarter8. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28737 on: March 11, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »

3.  Trump camp knows their candidate will look weak in debates.  He did against Clinton, and his cognitive skills look to be in decline since.  Which is why, as I said, they have laid the groundwork to skip them.  My opinion, had Warren won, he doesn't debate her.  Against Biden he may, but its not 100%. 

Absolutely ridiculous

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/24/us/politics/trump-presidential-debate.html

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #28738 on: March 11, 2020, 12:47:39 PM »

Thanks for the link, Needs

Moreover, the bulk of voters credit Trump for the economy.  When asked to say who or what they think is most responsible for the current economy, without the aid of a list, the top answer is Trump and Republicans (42 percent).  Next, mentioned by far fewer, is former President Obama and Democrats (9 percent) and big business (7 percent).

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #28739 on: March 11, 2020, 12:50:00 PM »

Thanks for the link, Needs

Your welcome. I hope it was useful re: the topic you were misinformed on.
Pages: 1 ... 1914 1915 [1916] 1917 1918 ... 4288