Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2247 2248 [2249] 2250 2251 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010826 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33720 on: May 08, 2020, 02:16:54 PM »

Thank you,  Lime, Bo,  and Yank.   Though I'm uncertain now what my question was,  your answers were spot on.   Thank you Red for using the word "wordsmithing. "  It creates plausible doubts that you are really you.   

It is difficult for me to see how the FBI questions to Flynn about Russian involvement were outside the bounds of an investigation into Russian involvement.   If you are the FBI and you ask someone a question, in an interview, and they lie to you,  you haven't "created" their lie.   The one who lied is the liar.   Second tautology today!   

On Sweden:  Watch "Midsommar" - it explains everything. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33721 on: May 08, 2020, 02:32:13 PM »

Even after their misconduct the prosecution admitted it had no case for collusion. So Comey maneuvered to get a Special prosecutor whose parameters for finding crimes, ANY crimes, even made up ones. Hence the Flynn case among others, Paige, Manafort, Stone, etc.
in fact Mueller really was engaging in a coverup of Justice and FBI misconduct.
Pretty sleazy.

Tinfoil hat bullshit.
It.was also... what is the word I am searching for... a soundbite. Someone was criticizing another poster for that. I forget who.

I also wonder at the logistics of having Comey maneuver to have Rosenstein appoint Mueller two weeks after Comey was fired.
A parrot bit me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33722 on: May 08, 2020, 02:52:38 PM »

It is difficult for me to see how the FBI questions to Flynn about Russian involvement were outside the bounds of an investigation into Russian involvement.   
They weren’t.  They also bore no fruit in proving collusion as the Justice lawyers admitted in early 2017. 
So Comey set Flynn up to catch him in a lie. Even then the agents admitted they did not think Mr. Flynn was lying to them. But they kept the investigation open and Mueller went off the rails in finding a “ crime”. The Justice filing notes(which are online) argue that without a legitimate investigative purpose, whether Mr. Flynn was lying was immaterial. He should never have been prosecuted.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33723 on: May 08, 2020, 03:08:07 PM »

It is difficult for me to see how the FBI questions to Flynn about Russian involvement were outside the bounds of an investigation into Russian involvement.   
They weren’t.  They also bore no fruit in proving collusion as the Justice lawyers admitted in early 2017. 
So Comey set Flynn up to catch him in a lie. Even then the agents admitted they did not think Mr. Flynn was lying to them. But they kept the investigation open and Mueller went off the rails in finding a “ crime”. The Justice filing notes(which are online) argue that without a legitimate investigative purpose, whether Mr. Flynn was lying was immaterial. He should never have been prosecuted.

You can't even follow the thread in your own garbage.  You admit the questions weren't outside the bounds of the investigation, then quote the bs Barr filing when it said they served no "legitimate investigative purpose."

Which is it?  Can't be both.

Again, the Departments own IG found that Flynn was a legitimate target.  And of course he was. He was on the phone telling Russia not to worry about their attack on our elections, its all good, while the Obama Administration was actively looking at ways to punish Russia for their attack on our elections.  And he was doing so while being paid as an undeclared (ie secret) agent of Turkey.

He should never have been prosecuted?  Total garbage.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #33724 on: May 08, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »

Even after their misconduct the prosecution admitted it had no case for collusion. So Comey maneuvered to get a Special prosecutor whose parameters for finding crimes, ANY crimes, even made up ones. Hence the Flynn case among others, Paige, Manafort, Stone, etc.
in fact Mueller really was engaging in a coverup of Justice and FBI misconduct.
Pretty sleazy.

Tinfoil hat bullshit.
It.was also... what is the word I am searching for... a soundbite. Someone was criticizing another poster for that. I forget who.

I also wonder at the logistics of having Comey maneuver to have Rosenstein appoint Mueller two weeks after Comey was fired.

"soundbite"   (snort!)

Comey does have very long arms.   The long arms of the law!   

oilcan

« Reply #33725 on: May 08, 2020, 03:11:14 PM »

Paula Reid
(@PaulaReidCBS)
BREAKING: President Trump just said "Katie" is VP staffer who tested positive. Katie Miller is VP spox & wife of WH adviser Stephen Miller. Entire West Wing has now been directly or indirectly exposed to COVID-19.

May 8, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #33726 on: May 08, 2020, 03:13:17 PM »

I think you are still not fully informed on Sweden.  You think they had no "lockdown", no recommendations to their public at all.  Not the case.

Sweden also had 2000 citizens in Iran, about 50,000 in total abroad that had to return.

Not unlike the US in this respect.

And this was more than say Norway (which has a big oil/gas industry and might be involved in Iran).  How many returnees did Norway and Finland have?  Do some research.  Get us some comparison.  We'll be waiting ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #33727 on: May 08, 2020, 03:21:34 PM »

Honestly, I probably won't wait.   Not without the assistance of cryogenics, anyway.

Not good news from the west wing.   I'm thinking of all the recent photos in the WH where no one's wearing a mask.   Or maintaining six feet of space.   
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 03:25:15 PM by barton »

barton

« Reply #33728 on: May 08, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »

I'm hoping Redward, our constitutional scholar,  can explain how this is cool.

Days after the Oklahoma supreme court said voters do not have to get their mail-in ballot notarized during the Covid-19 pandemic, state Republicans quickly approved a law imposing new obstacles if someone wants to vote by mail, the Guardian’s Sam Levine reports.

The new measure still requires someone to get their ballot notarized, but says if the governor declares a state of emergency due to Covid-19 within 45 days of an election, a voter can provide a copy of their state ID.

Republicans, who control both chambers of the state legislature, passed the bill, saying it was necessary to prevent voter fraud, which is extremely rare.

Governor Kevin Stitt, a Republican, signed it into law Thursday evening.

The move immediately drew criticism at a time when states are scrambling to make it easier to vote by mail since there is risk in contracting Covid-19 if one votes in person at the polls.

Oklahoma’s next elections are on June 30. “This legislative attack is based on bogus claims of voter fraud, but it is abundantly clear that the real motivation is to make it harder for Oklahomans to exercise their power at the ballot box,” Ryan Kiesel, the executive director of the ACLU said in a statement.

Oklahoma is among nearly a dozen states that require a notary, witness or identification with an absentee ballot.

Those requirements could provide an extremely high barrier to Americans seeking to vote, since it will likely be difficult to track down a notary as businesses remain shut down.

Many voters may also lack a printer or copier to make a copy of their ID. Civil rights groups are suing Alabama, which requires either a notary, two witnesses and a copy of a voter ID with an absentee ballot, saying voters shouldn’t have to meet those requirements amid the Covid-19 pandemic...

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33729 on: May 08, 2020, 03:44:25 PM »

Quote from: NeedsAdjustments link=topic=55.msg123823#msg123823 I’mMoodate=1588964887

You can't even follow the thread in your own garbage.  You admit the questions weren't outside the bounds of the investigation, then quote the bs Barr filing when it said they served no "legitimate investigative purpose."

Which is it?  Can't be both.
The prosecutors had legitimate  reasons to talk to Flynn while pursuing “collusion”. ( even if they were dishonest in how they set it up)   And what happened. They found no collusion.   But the FBI kept the case open and found a “ lie”.
He was on the phone telling Russia not to worry about their attack on our elections, its all good, while the Obama Administration was actively looking at ways to punish Russia for their attack on our elections.  And he was doing so while being paid as an undeclared (ie secret) agent of Turkey.

And you accuse me of wearing a tin hat?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33730 on: May 08, 2020, 03:48:46 PM »

What constitutional issue are you raising?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33731 on: May 08, 2020, 04:10:29 PM »

The prosecutors had legitimate  reasons to talk to Flynn while pursuing “collusion”. ( even if they were dishonest in how they set it up)   And what happened. They found no collusion.   But the FBI kept the case open and found a “ lie”.

Such garbage.  I mean what does this even mean?  A witness can lie to the FBI but if no underlying crime is ever proven, those lies are not unlawful?  If you obstruct and get off due to the obstruction its all good?  You get how dumb that is?

Mueller said that Flynn gave valuable information to the investigation after he plead guilty and cooperated.  Yeah, they "kept the case open" because they were fucking investigating it.

And you accuse me of wearing a tin hat?

Facts:

Flynn called the Russian Ambassador on the day Obama announced sanctions against Russia because of their attack on our elections.
In the call with Kislyak, Flynn told him not to worry, that a Trump Administration would not be taking those sanctions further.
Flynn was the National Security Advisor to the President of the United States while keeping his paid agent status to Turkey a secret and (presumably) no one in the administration knew of that relationship.
While National Security Advisor Flynn attended top secret debriefings making this arrangement a national security issue.
REDSTATEWARD while no doubt screaming "emails!" throughout the 2016 campaign doesn't give a shit about the national security issue this relationship posed because he is a partisan asshole who cares more about his "team" winning than the security of the United States of America.

Facts.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #33732 on: May 08, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »

Given the differential access such restrictions (see my quote from The Guardian in previous post)  create for poor people (go buy a scanner right now,  single mom!) and the elderly with either mobility or technology issues or both,  let's consider the possibility that these state laws that are weighted against minority and Democrat voters are more aftershocks from the unfortunate decision of Shelby County v Holder.   I will quote Patrick Leahy on the matter of restoring the full Constitutional strength of the Voting Rights Act:

In the wake of Shelby County – which gutted Section 5 of the Voting Right Acts and consequently crippled the federal government’s ability to prevent discriminatory changes to state voting laws – states have unleashed this torrent of voter suppression schemes. Because of a single, misguided, 5 to 4 decision, the federal government can no longer effectively serve as a shield against disenfranchisement operations targeting minorities and the disadvantaged across the country. The proliferation of threats to the right to vote in the wake of Shelby County makes it unmistakably clear why we need the full protections of the Voting Rights Act. That is why I am introducing the Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2019 to restore Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, improve and modernize that landmark legislation, and provide the federal government with other critical tools to combat this full-fledged assault on the franchise.

What could you possibly object to regarding the advancement of access to voting for all citizens?   Hmm.   

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33733 on: May 08, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »

Given the differential access such restrictions (see my quote from The Guardian in previous post)  create for poor people (go buy a scanner right now,  single mom!) and the elderly with either mobility or technology issues or both,  let's consider the possibility that these state laws that are weighted against minority and Democrat voters are more aftershocks from the unfortunate decision of Shelby County v Holder.   I will quote Patrick Leahy on the matter of restoring the full Constitutional strength of the Voting Rights Act:

In the wake of Shelby County – which gutted Section 5 of the Voting Right Acts and consequently crippled the federal government’s ability to prevent discriminatory changes to state voting laws – states have unleashed this torrent of voter suppression schemes. Because of a single, misguided, 5 to 4 decision, the federal government can no longer effectively serve as a shield against disenfranchisement operations targeting minorities and the disadvantaged across the country. The proliferation of threats to the right to vote in the wake of Shelby County makes it unmistakably clear why we need the full protections of the Voting Rights Act. That is why I am introducing the Voting Rights Advancement Act of 2019 to restore Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act, improve and modernize that landmark legislation, and provide the federal government with other critical tools to combat this full-fledged assault on the franchise.

What could you possibly object to regarding the advancement of access to voting for all citizens?   Hmm.
I sense your frustration.
But your gripes are with Congress and the State legislatures, not the Constitution.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33734 on: May 08, 2020, 05:16:04 PM »

Paula Reid
(@PaulaReidCBS)
BREAKING: President Trump just said "Katie" is VP staffer who tested positive. Katie Miller is VP spox & wife of WH adviser Stephen Miller. Entire West Wing has now been directly or indirectly exposed to COVID-19.

May 8, 2020

Well alright - as long as you have it figured out

Pages: 1 ... 2247 2248 [2249] 2250 2251 ... 4288