Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998492 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #36900 on: June 06, 2020, 06:11:19 AM »

I’d vote The Biden Harris ticket, but I’d prefer to see Biden Warrren.

I think Liz Warren is great.
My favorite politician in my lifetime.

I'd worry she might get wasted in the null VP role.
And think she is very effective in the Senate or a top Cabinet post.
Also, I need to be convinced Dems wouldn't potentially lose a Senate seat.
(the fuckup in MA is what ruined the promise of O's presidency).

I'd much prefer a Warren-Biden ticket.
But that's sailed.

I just can't see Bernie folks deciding to stay home (and help Trump by doing so).

I've said all along the Biden has 3 very good options: a black female; a progressive (Warren) to unite the party policy-wise; or a midwesterner for electoral purposes (Amy K; the Tammy's, Whitmer).

My choice for Dem nominee went
1. Warren
2. Harris
3. Bernie

But there was a significant gap between all of them.
It wasn't a tight grouping.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36901 on: June 06, 2020, 06:17:45 AM »

I think the terrible job Trump has done with everything, but especially the Virus and the Protests makes it clear that Trump needs to be removed.  And puts an end to any pressure for Biden to select a progressive (ie Warren) to balance the ticket and bring far lefties into the fold. 

The anti-Trump feeling is so strong that the Dems are united behind Biden regardless.  This moment really frees up Biden to pick Kamala Harris (or another black woman).
Picking a white midwestern woman would feel like a letdown about now.
Of course, Biden will make the decision maybe two months from now, and things could look different.  But as of now, I'd say 85% chance it's Harris.

<mental forehead slap >
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #36902 on: June 06, 2020, 06:19:07 AM »

I think Liz Warren is great.
My favorite politician in my lifetime.

I'd worry she might get wasted in the null VP role.
And think she is very effective in the Senate or a top Cabinet post.
Also, I need to be convinced Dems wouldn't potentially lose a Senate seat.
(the fuckup in MA is what ruined the promise of O's presidency).

I'd much prefer a Warren-Biden ticket.
But that's sailed.

I just can't see Bernie folks deciding to stay home (and help Trump by doing so).

I've said all along the Biden has 3 very good options: a black female; a progressive (Warren) to unite the party policy-wise; or a midwesterner for electoral purposes (Amy K; the Tammy's, Whitmer).

My choice for Dem nominee went
1. Warren
2. Harris
3. Bernie

But there was a significant gap between all of them.
It wasn't a tight grouping.

Massachusetts will change the laws to prevent Baker from appointing a Republican. They've done it twice before.

Scott Brown won a special election because the Dems put up arguably the worst possible candidate.

I still don't expect him to choose Liz.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #36903 on: June 06, 2020, 06:19:35 AM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36904 on: June 06, 2020, 06:32:20 AM »

Warren brings the kids out, keeps your policy program top notch and gives you a bridge to the Berniacs.

Trump has vacated the center, center right, honest conservatives, and his office. Biden doesn’t need much help there and he’s getting a ton from the Lincoln Project and others on that front.

Harris as a prosecutor also opens some fronts to attack that otherwise would not be available. She’s also not as good off the cuff as Liz nor as good at ripping trump’s economic record.

Lord...

Black women drive the party.

Black women gave Clinton 94% of the vote

Black women beat Roy Moore in Alabama.

If there is a group that CONSISTENTLY delivers 85-90% of their vote don’t you think getting more of them to vote is a good investment?

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/12/08/attacks-doomed-kamala-harris-but-youd-be-wise-to-remember-the-name/

But to tell the truth the only thing to worry about is Barr trying to end run the election because people don’t stay in the streets in the midst of a pandemic if it’s politics as usual.

Trump and Trumpism is dead.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36905 on: June 06, 2020, 06:47:26 AM »

If there is a group that CONSISTENTLY delivers 85-90% of their vote don’t you think getting more of them to vote is a good investment?

Actually, no.  I am all for a black running mate, but to be just politically crass for a moment, using up your valuable VP points to shore up a voting base that is already solidly in your corner when you have tons of other vulnerabilities is a bad move.

Warren would address many of those key vulnerabilities (particularly progressive and young voters) while she is actually a popular pick with minority voters.  I've seen a few polls that show her as the preference among black voters (over Harris and Abrams) this is just the latest one:

https://morningconsult.com/2020/05/27/biden-warren-vice-president-poll/

As for bodiddley's contention that the VP spot would be a waste for her talents, I don't picture her sitting in the background.  She could take that position and transform it, particularly after 4 years of Trump, the roots of corruption, self-dealing and bad governance are going to run deep and it is going to take someone with energy and attention to details to rip them out.  Couldn't think of anyone better.

Attorney General would work for that somewhat, but the poison of Trump isn't limited to lawlessness.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #36906 on: June 06, 2020, 07:05:31 AM »

Actually, no.  I am all for a black running mate, but to be just politically crass for a moment, using up your valuable VP points to shore up a voting base that is already solidly in your corner when you have tons of other vulnerabilities is a bad move.

Warren would address many of those key vulnerabilities (particularly progressive and young voters) while she is actually a popular pick with minority voters.  I've seen a few polls that show her as the preference among black voters (over Harris and Abrams) this is just the latest one:

https://morningconsult.com/2020/05/27/biden-warren-vice-president-poll/

As for bodiddley's contention that the VP spot would be a waste for her talents, I don't picture her sitting in the background.  She could take that position and transform it, particularly after 4 years of Trump, the roots of corruption, self-dealing and bad governance are going to run deep and it is going to take someone with energy and attention to details to rip them out.  Couldn't think of anyone better.

Attorney General would work for that somewhat, but the poison of Trump isn't limited to lawlessness.

You are doing what conservatives say.

Taking the black vote for granted. It gives the rightwing to play there tune about blacks being on the “Democrat Plantation.”

Don’t over think this.

There are hundred of thousands of people in the streets screaming Black Lives Matter.

For God’s sake, READ THE ROOM.

What’s the first complaint when Democrats lose a national election?

Low black turnout.

Pay up.

Amy Klobuchar is from MN and there is a Democratic Governor who can appoint a replacement when she gets tapped to be AG.

I’d like to see Liz Warren as Senate Majority Leader. Chuck Schumer ain’t the guy for the next step but... Democrats.

I want THIS woman on the national stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcvcj_VuywA
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:21:54 AM by LarryBnDC »

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36907 on: June 06, 2020, 07:33:05 AM »

You are doing what conservatives say.

Taking the black vote for granted. It gives the rightwing to play there tune about blacks being on the “Democrat Plantation.”

What I did was address your contention that "investing" in an already loyal base is the best use of Biden's VP pick.  As I said, being just politically crass, I think that is incorrect in Biden's case.

Then, far from take it for granted, I provided evidence that the black vote is actually behind a Warren pick.  Maybe the only way to get it isn't to pick a black candidate?

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #36908 on: June 06, 2020, 07:35:08 AM »

I want THIS woman on the national stage:

I like Kamala Harris, a lot.  But the primary made it painfully obvious that she wasn't ready for the national stage.  Not yet.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36909 on: June 06, 2020, 07:40:09 AM »

I’m good with a black woman at the top of the ticket. Biden got his chit tonight. He’s officially the Dems’ guy in this fight.

This is not the season to put a prosecutor on the ticket with Biden having helped out on the crime bill. Biden will get targeted on this, but he won’t have to dodge if he’s already walking away. Much easier if he’s working with someone who has never helped a cop beat a guy, or similar, or worse. That is too much Putin candy for one campaign.

Had Abrams suceesfully submarined Kemp’s ratfucking of the Georgia election and were she in a position to step on to the stage from the governor’s mansion there, she’d be my clear favorite.

Val Demnings is very good, but there’s a little LEO in their somewhere, so I’m uncomfortable.

Michelle Lujan Grissom, governor of New Mexico was 2 behind Warren for chops and pull.

She’s still right behind Warren, but another Michelle has jumped the field, Michelle Obama.

She knows what the fuck is going on. She knows how to to talk to Biden, the World, and everyone in America with a living soul.

She’d put trump and pence in the trunk and do the shovel work herself without getting a hair mussed or a fleck of dirt on her shoe. She can carry Joe for 8 years, then run the next eight herself. It might be enough time for the country and the planet to start to heal.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36910 on: June 06, 2020, 07:49:28 AM »

http://www.pressherald.com/2020/06/05/our-view-to-president-trump-you-should-resign-now/

“ President Trump: We’re sorry that you decided to come to Maine, but since you are here, could you do us a favor? Resign.

You have never been a good president, but today your shortcomings are unleashing historic levels of suffering on the American people.”

The whole editorial should be read aloud in a perpetual cycle by everyone who happens to agree until the useless malignant creep buggers off.

Then we’ll have a much better opportunity to deal with the fact that “some of those who work forces are the same as burn crosses.”
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:52:45 AM by facilitatorn »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36911 on: June 06, 2020, 07:56:25 AM »

Trump doesnt have a handler who can handle his incompetence. The last one who could manage it is long dead of AIDS.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #36912 on: June 06, 2020, 08:03:36 AM »

I like Kamala Harris, a lot.  But the primary made it painfully obvious that she wasn't ready for the national stage.  Not yet.

I wouldn't say not ready for the national stage.
I thought she mostly did well.
Just not ready to be Prez.
That was my take, that she's a comer, but it's not her time yet.

The only Veep who truly wielded power or made an impact was war criminal extraordinaire Dick Cheney.

I remember when Gore's mission was to reinvent gov't and streamline the bureaucracy.   He got overshadowed by Hillary's role.

Usually the person in power doesn't want a #2 with too much sway, they feel it detracts from their leadership, and if you're POTUS you want to run the show.

Liz Warren as Senate Majority Leader working with Biden to unfuck the country.  That sounds pretty good to me.

Serious Question: What did Biden do as Vice for 8 years?
What were his issues?  his impact?
I couldn't tell you one thing without researching.
Maybe not living in the US for a long time, keeps me a bit removed from such detailed info.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36913 on: June 06, 2020, 08:04:53 AM »

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #36914 on: June 06, 2020, 08:22:49 AM »

Biden gets some props for shepherding and wrangling Obamacare into existence, perhaps shaping the sharp edges in it republicans have since used to emasculate themselves. He gets props for moving Obama on gay marriage which has seriously changed the world. He would also step up and occasionally smack the shit out of a cracker in a way that would have been undignified and well beneath the actual President. He’s a player who can both hedge and screen.

If Gore had married a hipper woman he’d have done much better on a national level, though he may never have broken through in Tennessee. The Clinton Administration, aside from being several multiverses better than the two preceding and the one following, was really a mixed bag across the board. Bosnia, Ireland, Seeding community colleges, and balancing the budget were all pretty big gets. Don’t ask don’t tell turned out to be the set that Biden got Obama to spike.

Michelle being on the ticket that beats him would give drumpf the kind of sting that would either break him or help him realize how blatantly impeachable he has been all along.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 08:27:35 AM by facilitatorn »
Pages: 1 ... 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 ... 4288