Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2485 2486 [2487] 2488 2489 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997958 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37290 on: June 08, 2020, 06:31:32 PM »

I'm worried about defunding - what will we do with all the bullies and borderline sociopaths who have nothing to do?   I mean,  there aren't that many vacancies at the DMV windows are there?   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37291 on: June 08, 2020, 06:37:20 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #37292 on: June 08, 2020, 06:53:41 PM »

Defund the Police?

democrats are struggling with this one.

What say you Nancy Pelosi?

That’s a local decision,” Pelosi said, noting that they would have “those debates at the local level.”

Oh.
How about Kamala Harris?

We need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety in America,” she said, noting that cities that direct “one-third of the budget to police” instead of “public schools, job training and job creation—come on. We have to be honest with this.”

LOL.
Jim Clyburn House democratic whip from South Carolina? he supports restructuring police departments to ensure resources are deployed to protect and serve all Americans equitably."

Thanks, Jim.

Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said that he did not support the movement and said that while he understands “the sentiment and the substance behind the slogan” of “defund the police,” he said, “it’s not a slogan I’ll use.”

Not much of a Spartacus moment.

Rep. Karen Bass, the leader of the influential Congressional Black Caucus, came out against slashing police budgets.” No, I don't believe that we should defund police departments.

Memo to all democrats outside the beltway:
You are on your own on this issue!

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37293 on: June 08, 2020, 06:54:41 PM »

Joe Biden is against Defunding the Police!
( according to a “ spokesman” for his campaign
A profile in courage it was not.)

"Defunding the Police!"

Explain what is meant by the term as it has been put forth in a variety of communities in a variety of ways. Just to parrot it without intending to seriously discuss its meaning is pure snark. Perhaps you might bring something else to the table.

Meanwhile, "Joe Biden does not support some calls to "defund the police," the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee's campaign said Monday.

Biden backs advocates' calls to increase spending on social programs separate from local police budgets, but he also wants more funding for police reforms such as body cameras and training on community policing approaches, campaign spokesman Andrew Bates said in a statement.

"Vice President Biden does not believe that police should be defunded," Bates said. "He hears and shares the deep grief and frustration of those calling out for change, and is driven to ensure that justice is done and that we put a stop to this terrible pain."
The campaign's comment came as President Donald Trump and his campaign sought to tie Biden to calls to "defund the police," which have emerged in recent days at protests over police brutality and the killing of George Floyd by a Minneapolis police officer."

So, that's just YOU straight up distorting what the Biden campaign actually put forth.

If you want to have an honest discussion, start by being honest. Otherwise, it's just your particular profile of distortion and dishonesty we will observe here.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37294 on: June 08, 2020, 07:12:18 PM »

Whats wrong with fixing and restructuring institutions paid for with tax dollars that need restructuring and fixing and made more responsive and accountable to their constituents?

Perhpas there are better approaches to public safety and police departments.

The sound bite "defunding police" on its face sounds like it could lead to chaos, so its probably not going to happen anytime soon or in an overly dramatic manner. 

So perhaps Dem strategists should think hard about feeding Repubs talking points to unecessarily scare the populace and defflect and distract from the real issues like police abuse of power.

Because as shown by Reichs-corporal Red the Repubs are already weaponizing it to scare (mostly) white people.

And lets not fool ourselves the Repubs could give a fuck about large city populations or their safety.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 07:19:57 PM by bankshot1 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37295 on: June 08, 2020, 07:20:07 PM »

This is a site that gets updated whenever there is a change and might be a good one to bookmark for those caring about immigration law in the US:

https://iso.mit.edu/immigration/imm_updates.shtml?fbclid=IwAR29fFekWozYy13IFx1d5Crabvr4WxfhdfXX6l2tyiXyj6XJ7p6-VrjUUPw
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37296 on: June 08, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »

Re-fund the police?

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37297 on: June 08, 2020, 07:35:58 PM »

I'm worried about defunding - what will we do with all the bullies and borderline sociopaths who have nothing to do?   I mean,  there aren't that many vacancies at the DMV windows are there?

They can go clean superfund sites near low income communities. Double the rehabilitation.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37298 on: June 08, 2020, 07:36:03 PM »

Asked and answered, Tucker Carlson:

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37299 on: June 08, 2020, 07:40:08 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/portland-oregon-police-chief-resigns-george-floyd-unrest

Latest from The Sewer

That is how most people refer to that domain due to the quality of its content.

Defund the Police!

I say Smith and Wesson Stock is about to go through the roof!

There has been a big run on cracker seeking missiles. I strongly recommend you stay in your bunker. I have every confidence you will comply as you’ve never ventured out of it before today.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37300 on: June 08, 2020, 07:40:43 PM »

Defund the Police!

I say Smith and Wesson Stock is about to go through the roof!

Who will protect us from these rampaging negroes?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #37301 on: June 08, 2020, 07:41:39 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37302 on: June 08, 2020, 07:42:03 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37303 on: June 08, 2020, 07:44:19 PM »

Defund the Police?

democrats are struggling with this one.

What say you Nancy Pelosi?

That’s a local decision,” Pelosi said, noting that they would have “those debates at the local level.”

Oh.
How about Kamala Harris?

We need to reimagine how we are achieving public safety in America,” she said, noting that cities that direct “one-third of the budget to police” instead of “public schools, job training and job creation—come on. We have to be honest with this.”

LOL.
Jim Clyburn House democratic whip from South Carolina? he supports restructuring police departments to ensure resources are deployed to protect and serve all Americans equitably."

Thanks, Jim.

Sen. Cory Booker, D-N.J., said that he did not support the movement and said that while he understands “the sentiment and the substance behind the slogan” of “defund the police,” he said, “it’s not a slogan I’ll use.”

Not much of a Spartacus moment.

Rep. Karen Bass, the leader of the influential Congressional Black Caucus, came out against slashing police budgets.” No, I don't believe that we should defund police departments.

Memo to all democrats outside the beltway:
You are on your own on this issue!

All politics is local.

The fact this argument is happening at all means everything you say is basically flop sweat.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37304 on: June 08, 2020, 07:47:27 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/08/us/politics/trump-mexico-deal-tariffs.html?fbclid=IwAR1ozgsNbsLTwyX2NbAj81cU4SpBq2gol52TGD8rlVhE8UIr8HdEmQYCHco

Mexico had agreed to take border actions months before Trump announced that the two countries finally had a tariff deal.

So surprised.

Speaking of surprises that contradict Trump:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/08/politics/bill-barr-donald-trump-white-house-bunker/index.html

Barr said Trump went to the bunker on the recommendation of the Secret Service. I can't wait to hear what the Secret Service says about that - and about the new miles long display panels for protesters' art that Trump had put around the White House grounds and streets.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 2485 2486 [2487] 2488 2489 ... 4288