Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2509 2510 [2511] 2512 2513 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998196 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37650 on: June 10, 2020, 10:06:44 AM »

Dude - Georgia voting system being a shitshow has little to do with Republicans

Maybe little, probably some, possibly lots.

Now that it is confirmed that Kemp cheated to win his election, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt going into November.  Its looking like Georgia may be a swing state (At least, its purple.  Whether or not its a deciding factor in the election is up in the air) so they need to get their shit together.

I hope the investigations into this are conducted in good faith, and lead to some fast reforms.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37651 on: June 10, 2020, 10:29:50 AM »

More incompetence than bias, Needs.

Investigate?

How about hire/pay better?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37652 on: June 10, 2020, 11:04:22 AM »

Investigate?

Understandable that COVID would cause some difficulties.  But this isn't the first time there have been problems when Kemp is involved.  As I said, giving him the benefit of the doubt here given the history is actually being willfully partisan.

And yes, there is going to be an investigation.  Georgia AG has called for one.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37653 on: June 10, 2020, 11:05:18 AM »

Thomas Lane was accepted to the police academy in January 2019, hired by the Minneapolis Police Department as a police cadet on February 19, 2019 and started as a police officer in December 2019.

So roughly half a year as a policeman.

As far as I can tell MPD has a three month probation period.  Which both would have completed and been full officers.

Yeah.  I guess Lane's lawyer is lying.

Not sure.  Just trying to ascertain the facts.  Maybe both are technically right, and one is just minimizing something that so that it seems exculpatory.

Here's what I see elsewhere:

Lane started as a police cadet in 2019 and was a rookie on the force, only on his fourth full-time shift, when on Memorial Day he was one of the first officers to respond to claims that Floyd, 46, had attempted to use a counterfeit $20 bill.

4th full time shift could mean 4th day after his probation period, that is 4th day as a full officer.  Though that doesn't say 4th day, but 4th FT shift.  Were their other shifts?  Wasm this his 4th shoft total, or 4th as a full officer, post-probation (which is what I assume, making it possible to reconcile the disparate info).

I assume this will be more clear later.
I still find it very hard to believe that an officer on his 4th day was paired with another on his 3rd day and yet they were given their own police SUV and were responding to calls as a pair without any supervision.  That seems negligent.

If Lane became a policeman in Dec 2019, I'm not sure why he would be on his 4th fulltime shift deep in May.  Something doesn't add up.  So I'm guessing there was a probationary period not being counted by his lawyer.

Yet Lane and Keung didn't do a bad job.  Without much trouble they got the suspect out of his vehicle, handcuffed and even in the police vehicle backseat before Chauvin pulled Floyd out.  Lane & Keung will use all that to show they were trying to do things right and follow procedure.  They were only thwarted by Chauvin's demented violence, which they unfortunately assisted. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37654 on: June 10, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »

Just got to say, the discussion started as one in which people look to confirm their own biases. It was not intended to be a comparison of media outlets. However, once I was asked to provide an example of lies in media that was not Fox, I answered the question

That was not the question.  The question was:

If you can find a major media source on the left that daily made a claim as outrageous as COVID being a hoax cooked up by Democrats, please post it.

And your response was Jason Blair.  LOL.  Proving my point.

And the original discussion was about how people seek out information that confirms their biases.  If that isn't a discussion where media plays a large role (and sure, throw Facebook into that) then I don't know what you think belongs in that discussion.

And I agreed.  They do.  The asymmetry lies in the fact that one side has built up massive media organizations that largely exist to tell lies to confirm those biases, and the other does not.  And that is pretty fucking asymmetrical.

I know what the original conversation was because I started it. You never quite picked it up, but went with the media bias conversation. You asked a question, I answered it, and now you'd like to mock a legitimate and verifiable answer, merely because it conflicts with your world view.

Kind of like what Tucker Carlson might do.

You want people to be fair and balanced? Start modeling the behavior, because from what I've read here to date, you don't seem to practice what you preach.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37655 on: June 10, 2020, 11:39:31 AM »

Investigate?

Understandable that COVID would cause some difficulties.  But this isn't the first time there have been problems when Kemp is involved.  As I said, giving him the benefit of the doubt here given the history is actually being willfully partisan.

And yes, there is going to be an investigation.  Georgia AG has called for one.

It was a primary.  What would be to gain?

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37656 on: June 10, 2020, 11:42:10 AM »

I know what the original conversation was because I started it. You never quite picked it up, but went with the media bias conversation.

Wow.  Your recall is pretty bad.  i guess we now understand why conversing with you is so difficult.  I started the conversation with a comment about how hyper partisanship in media is contributing to Trump's polling being better than it otherwise would be.  You responded with a "both sides do it!" argument that you can't back up. 

You asked a question, I answered it, and now you'd like to mock a legitimate and verifiable answer, merely because it conflicts with your world view.

Jayson Blair is not a legitimate counterpoint to FOX blasting out how COVID is a Democratic hoax on their airwaves every day in a discussion of partisanship in the media.  Sorry.  If you really need me to explain to you why that is, sorry, you are too far gone to be worth the time.

You want people to be fair and balanced? Start modeling the behavior, because from what I've read here to date, you don't seem to practice what you preach.

I in good faith asked you to come up with examples to back your argument.  Your response was laughably inadequate.  Sorry, it was.  Blair lied about his own biography and was accused of plagiarism (over fifteen years ago), neither of which have anything to do with partisanship in the media. You then compare my pointing that out to the tactics of a guy who regularly makes racist comments on his show, then ask me to model fair and balanced behavior...

Maybe you need to think a bit on this before responding.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #37657 on: June 10, 2020, 11:47:46 AM »

---19 states see rising coronavirus cases and Arizona is asking its hospitals to activate emergency plans---

This is for the forced phase one, wait until the protester numbers kick in a few days from now.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37658 on: June 10, 2020, 11:51:44 AM »

It was a primary.  What would be to gain?

If state officials are purposefully fucking with the voting infrastructure in areas that vote for Democrats, that would show up any time there is a vote, including primaries.

Maybe you have an innocent explanation for why it was mostly Black neighborhoods had missing and malfunctioning voting machines.  I'm sure you do.  Doesn't mean that the history does not point to this being worth investigating.

Glad there will be an investigation, and as I said, hope its a good one.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37659 on: June 10, 2020, 11:58:33 AM »

It should be said, I never asked people on an opinion forum to not have opinions.  I'm not unbiased.  I am very clearly anti-Trump.  I think he is an incurious doofus who is unfit and unprepared to be President of the United States, and who sees the position primarily as an opportunity to enrich himself and escape accountability for his crimes.  And I cite examples to back that opinion every time I post it.  And that is all that I ask others to do.  Right or left, back your opinions with facts. 

I do ask journalists and their larger media organizations to be unbiased in how they inform Americans on what is going on in the world.  I think most of the mainstream ones make that attempt in good faith.  There are some that do not in order to aid the political fortunes of Republicans.  Which was what this discussion was originally about.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37660 on: June 10, 2020, 11:59:33 AM »

Jayson Blair is not a legitimate counterpoint to FOX blasting out how COVID is a Democratic hoax on their airwaves every day ...

BONK!

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37661 on: June 10, 2020, 12:01:13 PM »

---19 states see rising coronavirus cases and Arizona is asking its hospitals to activate emergency plans---

This is for the forced phase one, wait until the protester numbers kick in a few days from now.

The number is actually SIX, with 19 decreasing

From MSNBC this morning.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37662 on: June 10, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »

As far as the USA we are at a time when we are going to push past "black communities" and "white communities" to one community, sir. 
Contemplate that.

Would be nice.
But with the levels of segregation, wealth inequality, racism prevalent, I find it hard to believe. 

Hell, today's struggle is mostly just to have the police kill and abuse fewer black folk.  Really as long as the communities remain separate and unequal there is little chance of any uniting.

I believe it can happen. And I think many people are ready for it to happen. I just think that more we Americans think of ourselves as a collective unit, not red and blue states, or white and black and brown and yellow communities, the further we go towards bettering our country and renewing our status as moral leaders globally.

I truly believe it is possible. But the will for it to happen has to emanate from each of us to all of us.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37663 on: June 10, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »

Another issue I have a lot of trouble with is that the whole American racial classification system is racist.  It's still based on the one-drop of black blood rule from slavery days.  I look at ex-Officer Alexander Keung and he looks white to me.  Perhaps mixed.  Not what I would consider a black man.   Actually he just looks American to me...

He has what appears to be an Asian name, though I also see it claimed as Swiss, though it seems that he was adopted along with 3 brothers and sisters.  Now maybe Keung self-identifies as black.  Though reportedly he grew up in a black area, so that would probably be prudent to fit in.

It really shouldn't matter if Keung was black, white, Asian or some combination.  But of course in America we categorize by race and lots of cultural baggage goes with that designation.

I think you're right about that. It sure would be nice if we just concentrated on one race---the human race.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37664 on: June 10, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »

I know what the original conversation was because I started it. You never quite picked it up, but went with the media bias conversation.

Wow.  Your recall is pretty bad.  i guess we now understand why conversing with you is so difficult.  I started the conversation with a comment about how hyper partisanship in media is contributing to Trump's polling being better than it otherwise would be.  You responded with a "both sides do it!" argument that you can't back up. 

You asked a question, I answered it, and now you'd like to mock a legitimate and verifiable answer, merely because it conflicts with your world view.

Jayson Blair is not a legitimate counterpoint to FOX blasting out how COVID is a Democratic hoax on their airwaves every day in a discussion of partisanship in the media.  Sorry.  If you really need me to explain to you why that is, sorry, you are too far gone to be worth the time.

I in good faith asked you to come up with examples to back your argument.  Your response was laughably inadequate.  Sorry, it was.  Blair lied about his own biography and was accused of plagiarism (over fifteen years ago), neither of which have anything to do with partisanship in the media. You then compare my pointing that out to the tactics of a guy who regularly makes racist comments on his show, then ask me to model fair and balanced behavior...

Maybe you need to think a bit on this before responding.

I think we call this rewriting history. Propagandists do that. I now fully understand how important is for you to creative a narrative that supports your innate bias towards anyone who does not automatically adhere to your strict views.

It's clear to see.

Consider this "conversation" over, as you can't seem to actually have one.

You prefer to lecture, pontificate, and obfustate.

Your pedantic nature is one that I will merely let go.

Do have a nice day!

:)
Pages: 1 ... 2509 2510 [2511] 2512 2513 ... 4288