Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2538 2539 [2540] 2541 2542 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1612144 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38085 on: June 12, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »

A genuine fear is emerging among many moderates. That Trump will use the rhetoric of the radical left with "defunding the police", "gun control",  "reparations", et alia to rouse enough votes to get reelected.

Pump the brakes. Get Biden and the House and Senate Dems elected first. Then enact your reforms.

It's a legitimate fear, but I am pretty sure that while Trump will try to do that, it won't fly long or hard enough to do what he wants and they fear.

This is especially true when he keeps doing things like doubling down on the forts' names and the Confederate statues and the like. He is pushing the military away from him, not just the moderates.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38086 on: June 12, 2020, 07:10:04 PM »

It has to be "any legal means necessary."

Slavery was legal.

Denying women the vote was legal.

Having children working in mines was legal.

Denying the right to strike remains legal in some places.

No, "any legal means necessary" as a standard is not viable so long as the oppressors have the ability to make any effective means of protest illegal.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38087 on: June 12, 2020, 07:11:25 PM »

Watched a movie the other day on Netflix;

Marshall | Netflix

Marshall. 201716+ 1h 58m Crime Movies. This biopic of Thurgood Marshall, the first black U.S. Supreme Court justice, centers on his pivotal work in a …

#####

Not surprisingly I'd never heard of him.
I have now. Very impressed with the man.

Want to advance the cause of Black people in America?
Simple.

Get more Black lawyers.
More Black Federal and State politicians.
More Black city officials, more Black mayors.
Black Governors.
More "Oprahs".
Fight the good fight, legally.  Burning down America is very ill-advised.

Alice Paul, Lucy Burns...when fighting for "rights and liberties, and the vote" for women/19 Amendment...
from the movie Iron Jawed Angels...    "we're citizens or we're chattel, you don't need a degree from Harvard to figure that out".

Addressing women factory workers:
"35 women burnt to death in a factory fire last week, where's your fire escape?"
"Laws are made by elected officials, nobody hears you.
A vote is a fire escape".

« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 07:14:28 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38088 on: June 12, 2020, 07:13:11 PM »

Marshall | Netflix

Marshall. 201716+ 1h 58m Crime Movies. This biopic of Thurgood Marshall, the first black U.S. Supreme Court justice, centers on his pivotal work in a …

#####

Simple.

Shut up.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38089 on: June 12, 2020, 07:16:07 PM »

Marshall | Netflix

#####

Simple.

Shut up.

Sorry, I was out of line.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38090 on: June 12, 2020, 07:23:41 PM »

Marshall | Netflix

#####

Simple.

Get more Black lawyers.
Black Governors.
More "Oprahs".

Alice Paul, Lucy Burns...when fighting for "rights and liberties, and the vote" for women/19 Amendment...
from the movie Iron Jawed Angels...    "we're citizens or we're chattel, you don't need a degree from Harvard to figure that out".

"35 women burnt to death in a factory fire last week, where's your fire escape?"

Simple.

A receptionist helped me avoid the biggest mistake in my life. I went over Touro Law to see about the enrollment process. I stopped by the front desk and asked directions to the office of admission.
She looked at me and said, “You do know this is a LAW school, yes?”

“Yeah? Coulda fooled me!”

Never set foot on that campus again.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38092 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:24 PM »

Marshall | Netflix

#####

Simple.

Get more Black lawyers.
Black Governors.
More "Oprahs".

Simple.

A receptionist helped me avoid the biggest mistake in my life. I went over Touro Law to see about the enrollment process. I stopped by the front desk and asked directions to the office of admission.
She looked at me and said, “You do know this is a LAW school, yes?”

“Yeah? Coulda fooled me!”

Never set foot on that campus again.

I apologise for my word 'simple'.
The rest I stand by.
Obviously it's not simple.
Never was, is not, and likely will not be.

Laws are indeed made by elected officials.
Thurgood Marshall brought about change, legally.
Go woke, go broke.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38094 on: June 12, 2020, 07:39:11 PM »

Laws are indeed made by elected officials.
Thurgood Marshall brought about change, legally.

(a) I don't know to which law you are referring, but (for example) Brown v Board of Education was decided by unelected officials.

(b) The change was... more limited in scope than you seem to understand. Children in Virginia saw their schools close for a year to resist desegregation. Many schools in America today remain segregated. And programs (whether Special Education or Gifted Education) remain (or have become) segregated.

Like I said, shut up. You are talking about stuff that you can only guess at from movies, which is no basis for decision-making.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38095 on: June 12, 2020, 07:43:11 PM »

It has to be "any legal means necessary."

Slavery was legal.

Denying women the vote was legal.

Having children working in mines was legal.

Denying the right to strike remains legal in some places.

No, "any legal means necessary" as a standard is not viable so long as the oppressors have the ability to make any effective means of protest illegal.

IMO appearing to be a violent, lawless, rabble is not viable either.
Go woke, go broke.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38096 on: June 12, 2020, 07:44:27 PM »

Townhall senior reporter Julio Rosas, who is on the ground in Seattle covering the city's police-free “Autonomous Zone,” thinks the mainstream media is downplaying the story, and that coverage would be more hostile if President Trump supporters had taken over parts of a city.

Ya think?

https://www.foxnews.com/media/julio-rosas-media-seattle-autonomous-zone-chaz

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38097 on: June 12, 2020, 07:48:55 PM »

Townhall senior reporter Julio Rosas, who is on the ground in Seattle covering the city's police-free “Autonomous Zone,” thinks the mainstream media is downplaying the story, and that coverage would be more hostile if President Trump supporters had taken over parts of a city.

Ya think?

While receiving better treatment from the police and the federal government.

https://www.google.com/search?q=michigan+anti-lockdown+protest&sxsrf=ALeKk03rGzlcP180-yxUPHx68kI1Je3s8A:1592005661238&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjBlKyfu_3pAhWURjABHaAUAdAQ_AUoAnoECAsQBA&biw=1280&bih=578

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38098 on: June 12, 2020, 08:10:52 PM »

The US, while seeing a weekly average of new deaths under 1,000, has moved into 7th spot for number of deaths per capita among countries with more than 1,000,000 in population (or more than 60 deaths, for that matter).

It will take 4 weeks for us to move to 6th, ahead of France. We may never catch the others, as they continue to increase their deaths/million rate, too. I sure hope we don't!

We're also similarly situated in cases/million, 7th among countries with more than a million cases. 19th in tests per million and climbing.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38099 on: June 12, 2020, 08:26:03 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2538 2539 [2540] 2541 2542 ... 4288