Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2741 2742 [2743] 2744 2745 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605854 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41130 on: July 03, 2020, 11:19:23 AM »

Anyway, my argument is that any GOP WH and Senate was going to screw us over and up, and Trump really only inflamed racism -- and there's a strong backlash now to that -- and the disastrous COVID response.  I have to figure a Pence or any other GOP would have done a poor job but still way better than Trump's hands-off and totally disorganized approach.  Except for those two issues, Trump basically governed as a standard GOPer.

I could not disagree with you much more strongly. While Trump could have done more damage than he did, his damage in the Mideast was well beyond what most GOP folks would have done. Ditto his undermining of the EPA. He also far more blatantly ignored feedback on the quality of judges he nominated, giving us a weaker judiciary than we may ever have had.

I think the devastation to our immigration and asylum processes is incalculable. Lives lost, families shattered.

Further, on the racism front, you are right vis-a-vis Black lives, but the rise of antisemitic actions are barely touched by the protests and the reforms have no impact there. The largely national cessation of civil rights actions by the federal government are more extreme than what we saw under GWB or would have with most of those who ran against Trump. Cruz, Rubio, and even Jeb Bush would have all been more reasonable and I am not suggesting that Cruz would have been reasonable!

I also think you underestimate the long term impact of Trump's railing about the "enemy of the people" and about voter/election fraud, not to mention on our international standing.

But yes, the COVID-19 debacle certainly looks like the worst of what he did, with ripples that will carry forward for decades. (May we be so fortunate as to see ripples for centuries.)

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41131 on: July 03, 2020, 11:20:29 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Detroit study says that hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better

A surprising result out of Detroit.

shhhhhhh...

Just because you would never post an article that ran counter to the narrative you've presented doesn't make everybody like you.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41132 on: July 03, 2020, 11:24:15 AM »

Josh it appears we're on the same page.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41133 on: July 03, 2020, 11:24:23 AM »

https://www.archpaper.com/2020/06/army-corps-of-engineers-floats-4-6-billion-flood-protection-plan-for-miami/

What this didn't mention that I noticed is that this is one of the fruits of a request that Marco Rubio made in discussing climate change issues - while Rubio totally misrepresented what the EPA report he relied on for data had to say in a USA Today OpEd, nonetheless, he granted that sea levels were rising in FL and causing problems and he also acknowledged that man has contributed to global warming and climate change, even as he tried to insist that "other factors" were major contributors.

So... a report on what to do for/about Miami.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41134 on: July 03, 2020, 11:24:54 AM »

Josh it appears we're on the same page.

That was my reaction on seeing your post, yes.

:-)

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41135 on: July 03, 2020, 11:38:22 AM »

More dim bulbs unclear on the concept of COVID-19 - and I mean both the folks running the camp and the folks sending kids to it.

It's crap like this that keeps the virus spreading so rapidly.

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Missouri-DHSS-41-campers-counselors-at-Kamp-Kanakuk-K-2-site-test-positive-for-COVID-19-571610571.html?fbclid=IwAR1pii4F4sKZE9gsqh0Li1tQX5uRIIAcm8Mwk6R5H0OJ04Q1OZwgUxZZO7I

"A communications director from the Missouri DHSS says 41 people, which includes campers and counselors, have tested positive.

"Campers come from 10 different states and were in two separate sessions. Some were tested at the K-2 camp site, while others were tested when they got home."

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41136 on: July 03, 2020, 11:38:33 AM »

Trump has accelerated what was taking place in Israel and Palestine.  But Israel politics has shifted so far to the right that the set of elections in the past year pitted Netanyahu against a coalition of generals who felt Bibi was too soft on Gaza/Hamas.  Really it'd be easy to change things and settle the Palestinian issue if the US would just step aside and stop providing Security Council veto cover for Israel.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41137 on: July 03, 2020, 11:41:52 AM »

W did roughly the same as Trump on dismissing traditional allies and weakening alliances.

I think most GOP leaders would have let McConnell run the judgeship process and the results would have been essentially the exact same.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41138 on: July 03, 2020, 11:45:02 AM »

I'm glad Bo's has figured out the final solution for the Middle-East.

Its EZ.

JFC

kiidcarter8

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #41140 on: July 03, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »

The research and test process that makes a good vaccine has nothing to do with how much a politician runs his mouth.   A year to 18 months would be a very good time frame for a new virus.   If some set of lucky breaks,   clever innovation,  and a stable CV genome allows an earlier vaccine,  it will be thanks to the international research community,  not the "president."   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41141 on: July 03, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »

I'm glad Bo's has figured out the final solution for the Middle-East.
Its EZ.
JFC

It is.
The US stops blocking UN Security Council resolutions.
If Israel doesn't abide by the UNSc resolutions and/or Euro mediation and policies, then Israel would get slapped with debilitating UN sanctions until they agreed to follow international law.  Israel is too small to withstand such economic pressure.  Europe and the UN could craft a two-state peace plan.  Israel never has to worry about that because the US protects it from world opinion with a Security Council veto.  Without such impunity, things would be awfully different.  The US has been the major impediment to ME peace for half a century or more.  At least Trump ended the farce of the US an honest broker there.

PS I think putting "final solution" in your post is a complete asshole move ...
But it is nice to see you have an open mind and don't just resort to ridicule and dismissiveness.  There's definitely some kiid in you.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 12:52:30 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41142 on: July 03, 2020, 12:52:03 PM »

To return to Trump, I think if we had a standard right wing GOP prez they would have had a more competent and stable administration, without all thew distractions and firings and so many scandals, and they would have been able to accomplish more GOP goals.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41143 on: July 03, 2020, 01:11:06 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/02/health/hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus-detroit-study/index.html

Detroit study says that hydroxychloroquine helped coronavirus patients survive better

A surprising result out of Detroit.

shhhhhhh...

And that college you went to, kid?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #41144 on: July 03, 2020, 01:11:41 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/charlie-gasparino-trump-campaign-hopeful-coronavirus-vaccine

Most of us have been expecting Trump to announce a vaccine about a week or so, maybe 2, before the election - close enough to give a bounce but not to far out as to give time for it to be disproven.
Pages: 1 ... 2741 2742 [2743] 2744 2745 ... 4288