Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2814 2815 [2816] 2817 2818 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610654 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42225 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:40 PM »

Defund the Police!

Since January 2020 to May 2020 in Democrat-controlled Louisville, Kentucky, nearly “75 percent of homicide victims were black.”
And in Mayor Bill de Blasio’s (D) New York City, every shooting victim in the month of July has been a minority.

Since January 2020 to July 2020 in Republican-controlled USA, of some 130,000 fatalities due to covid-19, nearly all were Americans, of every conceivable color.

Many of whom unfortunately died due to the total incompetence and indifference of Donald Trump.

Defund the President!

You, sir are the opposite of wisdom

Helluva a rebuttal.

I'm clearly disappointed my one-off of Red's distraction du jour went over your head. But my disappointment is tempered by the knowledge gained by years of observation, its damn near impossible to post much you do understand.

And your observation may or may not be true, but as there is little point in discussing it with Elba's village idiot, I will have to wear your derision as best as I can. 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42226 on: July 10, 2020, 09:01:50 PM »

“What a revoltin' development this is!"

https://medium.com/@indica/the-plague-states-of-america-53b20678a80e

Why would Americans want to travel anywhere atm.
Anyway, with the low wages being paid it's a wonder Americans have any spare cash to go anywhere.

"low wages" - not so much, for a substantial chunk of America. Americans are paying off credit card debt at a high rate at the moment.

Women get paid less than men. Blacks get paid less than whites. But your favorite group is mostly not complaining.

White men, ages 25 and over, have an unemployment rate of 9.6$, which drops to 8.3% among the 45-54 year olds and 8.7 for the 35-44 year olds. This compares to:

White women, ages 25 and over, have an unemployment rate of 11.6%, which drops to 10.9% among the 45-54 year olds and 10.2 for the 35-44 year olds.

Black men, ages 25 and over, have an unemployment rate of 14.4,% which rises to 14.8% among the 45-54 year olds and 11.3 for the 35-44 year olds.

*Last modified July 2.

And Black women, ages 25 and over, have an unemployment rate of 14%, which drops to 13.1% among the 45-54 year olds and 812.2for the 35-44 year olds.

Which means that about 86% of young Black people in America are employed. [even higher rate of employment for older Black people.]
Listening to the chatter on here I thought that employment rate would be more like 56%.

You suck at math and logic, both.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #42230 on: July 10, 2020, 09:07:51 PM »

What about the poor White folk in America who are living on food handouts, and have forever been treat like "trash"?
Surely they should be entitled to some of the reparation money.

Reparation for what?

Were their ancestors enslaved? Were they denied the right to vote? Is there a pattern of discrimination against them for their color or religion or nationality? What was taken from them by society and government?

Their jobs.
Reparation:
"the making of amends for a wrong one has done, by paying money to or otherwise helping those who have been wronged."

"living on food handouts"

Sounds like "otherwise helping," whether or not they were wronged.

Do you believe that everybody is entitled to a job?

We had record low unemployment not very long ago - you may remember Ward crowing about it. Did they have no jobs then? Why not?

Remember, by the way, that I support UBI.

I don't believe that your "poor white trash" merit reparations. I do believe that they should receive food and housing and healthcare.

Everyone is entitled to a job...and warm blankets.
Somewhere to live that has at least heating.
It's the responsibility of the federal govt.

Blankets, yes. Housing, with shelter against the elements (heat, for example) and plumbing, absolutely. Food, too.

Jobs? Nope. It's lovely if there is stuff for them to do, but there is no guarantee of employment. Education to prepare you to potentially hold a job, yes. Support if you cannot work, totally.

You do know that Trump is opposed to everything you are spouting here, don't you?

He's "concern trolling" you

con·cern trol·ling

the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42231 on: July 10, 2020, 09:10:09 PM »

Defund the Police!

Shootings are up 76 percent over where they were this time last year in Mayor Lori Lightfoot’s (D) Chicago.
NBC News reports not only the surge in shootings but also the fact that “nearly all the bloodshed concentrated in the city’s predominantly Black and brown communities on the South and West Sides.”

Since January 2020 to May 2020 in Democrat-controlled Louisville, Kentucky, nearly “75 percent of homicide victims were black.”
And in Mayor Bill de Blasio’s (D) New York City, every shooting victim in the month of July has been a minority.

And if they were not black, you would not be talking about it - nor do you care that they are dead, only that they serve as whipping boys for your diatribes.

COVID-19? Nah, don't want to talk about that! Corruption with the SBA payroll relief funds? Oops, change the topic.

The shootings are problematic. So are the police, for all that you don't wish to discuss that, either. But you don't care about solutions, just distraction.

Fortunes are made in the wake of revolutions*. corners are up for grabs and competition is fierce.
Nature abhors a vacuum and with big blue pulling back the crews are battling for dominance.

Folks act like there was never an Eliot Ness.

*Dont remember when I heard that gem...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #42232 on: July 10, 2020, 09:20:14 PM »

And the past 50 years of race discrimination hasn't been fair and has caused great harm too.

There's a lot of discrimination that you can't prove.  There's racial decisions made all the time.  I witnessed it in corporate software sales in companies I worked for.  White men become chosen/groomed for field sales positions (meeting face to face with decision makers) and got paid the most while white women did inside sales (Sales over the phone, renewing contracts already in place) which paid much less, asians got technical sales positions (giving pre-sales demos on behalf of the white salesmen. aka the techie guy) again lesser pay, all others got back-office positions.

Reparations is a slippery slope.   Who gets it, who gets left out?  Do all who are not white males get their share? 

I would rather see society move towards fairness for all. Equality for all. These are goalposts that don't move.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:21:48 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42233 on: July 10, 2020, 09:30:36 PM »

He's "concern trolling" you

con·cern trol·ling

the action or practice of disingenuously expressing concern about an issue in order to undermine or derail genuine discussion.

That's pretty much all he, Ward, and Kid ever do if they are expressing concern.

I know that.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42234 on: July 10, 2020, 09:37:06 PM »

I'm just talking Black people who were treated uniquely awful for a long long time in the USofA.

I do agree with that housing article about the need to change zoning laws, which could make a big difference.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42235 on: July 10, 2020, 09:42:00 PM »

Meanwhile

Bill Barr is setting the rule of law on fire...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42236 on: July 10, 2020, 10:07:25 PM »

The US hit 60+k cases in a day on Wednesday, a new high.

Today was 61 cases shy of 10,000 more - closer to 72,000 than 71.

The last time our 7 day moving average for daily deaths was this high was three weeks ago. Five consecutive days of rising has undone 15 days of falling.

So far.

As of today, we are averaging 220 more deaths per day than the IHME model predicts - the one that says 208 thousand dead by Nov. 1. 220 doesn't seem like much, but by 11/1, that would be an extra ~25,000 deaths.

And yesterday, we were averaging "only" 200 more per day. If the death rate follows the same curve that the new cases have followed, we'll be threatening our record number of daily deaths in less than a month, then blowing past it.

Kid, I am (we are) NOT cheering for the numbers to go up. We are expressing our alarm that our predictions, ignored by this president and too many governors and too many mayors and way too many ninnies, are proving to be true.

You complained because you thought we were fear-mongering.

You don't get it. I'm afraid. Not for me, but for the 10s and maybe 100s of thousands who may die because of our nation's carelessness and sloppiness and our leaders' refusal to act responsibly.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42237 on: July 10, 2020, 10:15:25 PM »

I'm just talking Black people who were treated uniquely awful for a long long time in the USofA.

I do agree with that housing article about the need to change zoning laws, which could make a big difference.
Like how?

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42238 on: July 10, 2020, 11:21:26 PM »

If I post this here, will it give it away?!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42239 on: July 11, 2020, 12:00:50 AM »

In addition to denying that white privilege is a thing, some folks - mostly conservatives - deny that male privilege is a thing.

This is one example of how it manifests:

Pages: 1 ... 2814 2815 [2816] 2817 2818 ... 4288