Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1595434 times)

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42405 on: July 12, 2020, 03:49:41 PM »

The best way to predict the future...is to create it - Abraham Lincoln
Go woke, go broke.

barton

« Reply #42406 on: July 12, 2020, 04:16:27 PM »

Uno:  "You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?"

BLM asserts something enshrined in the Constitution.   It's a political message the same way "we hold these truths to be self-evident... " is one.   The 10 Cs are a religious message and specific to one religion (though many of them are pretty good ethical guidelines and  you could do a lot worse), so they conflict with the Establishment clause,  as YG noted.   

Ginni Thomas calling a BLM  banner a Trojan horse is nonsense.   You'd think someone who shares a home with a Scotus  justice could come up with better talking points.   Then again,  it's Clarence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42407 on: July 12, 2020, 04:27:17 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.

The streets belong to the people, not just some people

I would hope you would allow for dissatisfaction from those you disagree with on this.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:30:44 PM by kiidcarter8 »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42408 on: July 12, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »

barton

« Reply #42409 on: July 12, 2020, 04:39:00 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.

The streets belong to the people, not just some people

I would hope you would allow for dissatisfaction from those you disagree with on this.

Why wouldn't I?  Be dissatisfied all you want,  dude.  I'm just not losing sleep over a sentiment that (per Pew Research) 67% of American adults support.   Majorities like that (and greater majorities in many of the cities where these banners and paint are appearing) tend to bring social change and public displays that reflect that.   More people are getting the Constitutional basis for protecting a vulnerable minority.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42410 on: July 12, 2020, 04:41:28 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/politics/fairfax-county-schools-superintendent-interview/index.html

So...Fairfax -

If kids are wearing a mask all day at school, they also need to socially distance (6-ft) the entire day?

Where does CDC say this?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42411 on: July 12, 2020, 04:42:50 PM »

Barton

Doesnt matter how many people nationally support 5th Avenue being painted

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42412 on: July 12, 2020, 04:43:38 PM »

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult. 

no idea what this is supposed to mean - other than sounding like anti-administration propaganda.

It's almost exactly what Trump tweeted:

“I disagree with @CDCgov on their very tough & expensive guidelines for opening schools,” the president tweeted early Wednesday. “While they want them open, they are asking schools to do very impractical things. I will be meeting with them!!!”

I just paraphrased what Trump said.  Trump's anti-Trump Admin propaganda, I guess.  Trump is once again ignoring his own admin's health expert's guidance.  Ripping those guidelines up and throwing them away.  Just like the reopening guidelines.

You still support this guy?
And think anything he does could possibly be right?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 04:49:56 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42413 on: July 12, 2020, 04:44:12 PM »

By the way -

Is the painting of 5th Avenue permanent?  How long?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42414 on: July 12, 2020, 04:51:12 PM »

Let us know the first time you actually buy any Goya products ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42415 on: July 12, 2020, 04:55:37 PM »

Dr. Deborah Birx, another member of the task force, admitted there isn’t enough data to draw definitive conclusions about coronavirus transmission among school-age kids, since very few are being tested for COVID-19.
“Our data is skewed to people with symptoms and then those over 18,” Birx said.

“The current state [of the virus spread] is really not good,” Fauci said Tuesday on Facebook Live. “We are still knee deep in the first wave” of Covid-19 infections, he added.

When asked later in the day about Fauci’s assessment of the current state of the pandemic, Trump replied, “I disagree with him.”

“I think we are in a good place,” the president said in an interview with the “Full Court Press” show. “We’ve done a good job. I think we are going to be in two, three, four weeks ... I think we are going to be in very good shape.”

We're already one week out from Trump's prediction . . .

Of course it's just the same false upbeat nonsense Trump has been pushing since February.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 05:04:19 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #42416 on: July 12, 2020, 05:02:06 PM »

New York Times: Trump considered selling Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria, former acting Homeland Security chief says

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/politics/trump-puerto-rico-hurricane-maria/index.html

Seriously nuts folks!
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42417 on: July 12, 2020, 05:05:14 PM »

Maybe trade PR to Denmark for Greenland ....
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42418 on: July 12, 2020, 05:10:41 PM »

Sorry. Couldn't read the piece. Paywall. Could you quote it here?

:A small, mostly white Virginia town put up a ‘Black Lives Matter’ banner. Ginni Thomas denounced it.
Patricia Sullivan
A banner in support of Black Lives Matter has been erected along Main Street in tiny Clifton, Va.
A banner in support of Black Lives Matter has been erected along Main Street in tiny Clifton, Va. (Salwan Georges/The Washington Post)
It was posted over the tiny Northern Virginia town’s Main Street, in a space mostly used to advertise community events, after residents proposed staging a protest like the ones that have swept the country since the death of George Floyd in the custody of Minneapolis police.

The gesture — which Mayor William R. Hollaway called “a first step” to beginning discussions of racial equity — drew mostly positive responses, according to the town clerk. But it prompted outrage from some residents of Fairfax County and nearby towns. Hollaway called the banner “the biggest controversy we’ve seen in many years.”

One critical email, which was shared with The Washington Post, was sent from the email account of Ginni Thomas, an outspoken conservative whose consulting company is based in Burke and who is married to Clarence Thomas, the only black justice on the U.S. Supreme Court.

Ginni Thomas, a conservative activist and consultant who is married to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas.
Ginni Thomas, a conservative activist and consultant who is married to Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas. (Susan Walsh/AP)
“BLM is a bit of a dangerous Trojan Horse and they are catching well-meaning people into dangerous posturing that can invite mob rule and property looting,” Ginni Thomas, who is white, wrote on June 24. “Let’s not be tricked into joining cause with radical extremists seeking to foment a cultural revolution because they hate America.”

The email echoes remarks by President Trump and conservative commentators, who have denounced protesters for racial justice as radical, violent and un-American.

Ginni Thomas did not respond to a request for comment Thursday. Her Facebook page is full of similar sentiments, quoting the same sources as in the email.

An email to the Town Council from Lin-Dai Kendall, a tea party Republican who once ran for Fairfax County School Board, said the sign appears to welcome “rioters who have vandalized entire zones in multiple American cities across the United States for the past three weeks.”

“You are affirming a misnomer that threatens to send us all into a cultural revolution pitting Marxists against freedom-loving Americans,” Kendall’s email said.

Critics also posted comments on Clifton’s Facebook page and anonymously mailed fliers to residents that try to tie the Black Lives Matter movement to international conspiracies.

In response to the uproar, the council set aside half of its regular meeting Tuesday night to hear feedback about the banner.

Nearly all of the 16 people who spoke at the meeting said they supported it. Several described their relief and thankfulness that the overwhelmingly white town of about 300 residents had taken an anti-racist stance.

“As an African American, I never would have guessed that this community would come together . . . to make such a clear message of welcome and openness,” said Mark Cherry.

Another speaker, Tony DiBari, posed a challenge to the assembled council members. “You guys already made the right decision; you put up the banner,” he said. “Now do you have the willingness, the wherewithal, the fight to stand behind the people of this community?”

Hollaway — who works as a lawyer in downtown Washington in addition to serving as mayor — said the council called an emergency session June 11 to discuss possible responses to the national reckoning on race that has been amplified by Floyd’s death.

How the Black Lives Matter movement went mainstream

He was acutely aware of the sizable protests sweeping downtown Washington. While generally peaceful, the protests early on included some property damage and looting, and Hollaway’s legal office “had all of its windows smashed out of it,” he said.

“We couldn’t go to work there. It was a volatile time,” the mayor said. He believed the Town Council needed to make a statement right away.

While some residents wanted to organize a demonstration in solidarity with those seeking racial justice, council members suggested the banner as an alternative, noting that Black Lives Matter is a movement that goes far beyond the advocacy organization with that name. The council said June 11 that it did not support the group’s goals of defunding police, decriminalizing prostitution and other “radical” aims.

“We took action because we believed it was urgent, and we had a crisis before us,” Hollaway said.

After the banner was stretched across Main Street, someone complained to the Virginia Department of Transportation. Town Council members said the state agency has never expressed concern about banners erected in that space for the past three or four decades, advertising pancake breakfasts and the like.

The council decided Tuesday night that it would not remove the welcome sign until another organization requests the space to advertise a civic event, most of which have been canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“We knew we had a 60-day maximum,” said Steve Effros, Clifton’s vice mayor. “What happens after that is, we may finally have a pancake breakfast.”

Correction: A previous version of this story misspelled the name of Clifton's mayor. It is William R. Hollaway.

Thanks for posting.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42419 on: July 12, 2020, 05:15:11 PM »

I bet China would pay the US top dollar for PR. They need to do something with their dollar horde. And beach property in the Caribbean with easy flight time to most East Coast cities for ICBM.  Of shit yeah, they're in.

The Russians would probably be interested too, and might even give Donald his approval for the Trump Moscow Towers if he threw in the US Naval base at Guantanemo.
Pages: 1 ... 2826 2827 [2828] 2829 2830 ... 4288