Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2874 2875 [2876] 2877 2878 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010071 times)

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #43125 on: July 16, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »

no one here presented a massively detailed approach to school re-openings.

yet negative comments abound

Clots. Cognitive and neurological complications. Life long conditions.

Any state meeting the CDC guidelines should open any school they can shelter in a completely outdoor setting (airplane hangars might be an option so long as they don’t recirculate air), with distancing and masking and multiple daily temp checks, along with at least weekly tests for all students and staff.

Reading lots of books, online learning, long term practical projects, putting time in at various relief efforts (trump’s disintegration of the economy has caused a huge boom in soup kitchens in nearly every community) would be a good curricular backbone for students where the safety criteria cannot be met.

It’s probably true that prolonged exposure to republican parents is likely to cause severe psychological trauma in youth and should be minimized where possible.

That’s the hinge of the plan, giving minimal precautions for in person schooling and alternatives to improve at home schooling where the minimal precautions cannot be met.

That’s what we should be riding out till a vaccine or 100 fold increase in testing and isolation.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #43126 on: July 16, 2020, 12:21:26 PM »

Because reopening schools, which most of us recognize are over-crowded almost by definition, in some areas where the virus is spreading like crazy, may represent a sub-optimal policy that could be improved upon.

Is this the only problem you have - thus areas of lower COVID concern it would be OK - in your mind -  to reopen?

Of course there should be an option to learn remotely - such that parents have a choice to be uber safe.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43127 on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:31 PM »

And kid as long as you are limiting yourself to your areas of expertise and knowledge, you probably shouldn't post in the knicks forum.

The forum you helped KILL - after I warned them about your presence.

Banks is great on the hoops forums.

Your butchery of both basketball and banter are among the least egregious of your sins, as profound and grotesque as those butcheries are.

BTW, trump killed the basketball forums by bungling the Covid response making it unsafe to play sports across the nation.

An imposter with really weird ideas about exercise who compulsively cheats at golf has killed games sports and athletics in the United States. It’s almost as impressive as him getting U.S. citizens banned from traveling to so many places or the number of jobs and families he’s managed to destroy in such a short time. 
« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 12:28:29 PM by facilitatorn »
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43129 on: July 16, 2020, 12:28:21 PM »

Oh and kid still waiting for your plans for school re-openings, particularly in the nation's hot spots, (FL, TX, AZ) you seemed to demand from others.

Why would you think I would offer a plan?  Not my area of expertise or knowledge - and unlike others here ...cough...BO....I dont put forth such.

When I see the plan i will comment.  For now I like the administration's PREFERENCE to get kids IN SCHOOL when at all possible.

DEMAND, not preference, backed by threats.

And not "whenever possible," but period.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #43130 on: July 16, 2020, 12:28:39 PM »

Because reopening schools, which most of us recognize are over-crowded almost by definition, in some areas where the virus is spreading like crazy, may represent a sub-optimal policy that could be improved upon.

Is this the only problem you have - thus areas of lower COVID concern it would be OK - in your mind -  to reopen?

Of course there should be an option to learn remotely - such that parents have a choice to be uber safe.

I would do risk assessments to determine where it might be safer to conduct classes in schools.

And have back-up plans if things went sideways quickly.

But first and foremost if people want to have semi-normal schools this year, (or a semi-normal economy) I would give serious thoughts, and I've already posted this, to shutting down the hot spots NOW. Contain and slow the virus for 4-6 weeks (whatever it takes) and hope schools could reopen maybe in mid-late September,

And if schools can re-open safely the chances the economy can reopen increases hugely.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #43131 on: July 16, 2020, 12:28:50 PM »

Unfortunately, Trump's push to reopen the economy was based mainly on political considerations, to get the economy going so he might be reelected.  It certainly wasn't based on science and has been a disaster.  Unfortunately many southern governors followed Trump's advice (btw, unbelievable that in some states Guvs have blocked local officials from mandating masks -- this went on in AZ and a few other states before, but just happened yesterday in GA).

And reopening schools is another political ploy intended to help Trump get reelected.  Trying to provide a veneer of normalcy and allowing more parents to get back to work, even thought ,the students, teachers and parents will all be at risks of contracting the CV virus due to the utter mismanagement and continued outbreaks and spread.  All they had to do was get that virus under control and work and schools could have reopened.  After 9 weeks of lockdown, I was back at my local gym playing hoops (one or two guys played with a mask on for a few weeks).

States should reopen when transmission is limited/contained.  And they have a credible plan of testing, contact tracing, etc to handle reopening.  Same with schools.  All of this isn't too complicated. though it seems to be for a country torn apart by the idea of wearing masks to prevent a respiratory virus.  Took until July 1st, 5 months into this epidemic, to get a consensus on mask wearing.  And still there is resistance,.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #43132 on: July 16, 2020, 12:30:51 PM »

I do feel for the kids from poorest families where education resources at home may be lacking,  where remote learning is harder to implement.   They are also on the sharpest horns of a dilemma,  because they may have parent(s) or caregiver relatives who are the most vulnerable to the virus,  and are the most endangered by a child coming home from school transmitting.   If there's any way funds can be allocated for them to have some form of low-contact but live learning,  like outdoor classes etc.  that maybe should be priority.   (versus kids like me,  who lived in houses full of books,  art,  recordings, educational toys and gadgets,  and so on... for whom missing the classroom experience isn't quite so big a loss)

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43133 on: July 16, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »

And kid as long as you are limiting yourself to your areas of expertise and knowledge, you probably shouldn't post in the knicks forum.

The forum you helped KILL - after I warned them about your presence.

Second most trafficked forum on the site. Looks pretty active.

News of its death seems premature, Kid.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43135 on: July 16, 2020, 12:36:17 PM »

barton

« Reply #43136 on: July 16, 2020, 12:38:26 PM »

Damn.   Beat me to it,  Josh.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #43137 on: July 16, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »

Biden should call on Trump to resign for all the damage he's caused.
Maybe wait until the week before the first debate ...
(though I'd be tempted to call the debates off)
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #43138 on: July 16, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »

Oh and kid still waiting for your plans for school re-openings, particularly in the nation's hot spots, (FL, TX, AZ) you seemed to demand from others.

Why would you think I would offer a plan?  Not my area of expertise or knowledge - and unlike others here ...cough...BO....I dont put forth such.

When I see the plan i will comment.  For now I like the administration's PREFERENCE to get kids IN SCHOOL when at all possible.

DEMAND, not preference, backed by threats.

And not "whenever possible," but period.

Says you.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #43139 on: July 16, 2020, 12:50:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 2874 2875 [2876] 2877 2878 ... 4288