Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2961 2962 [2963] 2964 2965 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009156 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44430 on: July 24, 2020, 01:28:04 PM »

Tom Cotton is a miserable human being... and that is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/07/23/sen-tom-cotton-introduces-bill-to-prevent-schools-from-teaching-1619-project/#268336c456f1

He is, but it's just a grandstanding gesture on his part.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44431 on: July 24, 2020, 01:30:51 PM »

Tom Cotton is a miserable human being... and that is giving him the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewsolender/2020/07/23/sen-tom-cotton-introduces-bill-to-prevent-schools-from-teaching-1619-project/#268336c456f1

He left the military to avoid a well earned fragging and found a job with much much lower standards that he still doesn’t live up to. Tom Cotton is the kind of burden our society doesn’t need.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44432 on: July 24, 2020, 01:35:19 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44433 on: July 24, 2020, 01:35:49 PM »

The WSJ Editorial Staff responds:

I saw it, thanks.  It is a more revealing letter than I think the WSJ Editorial Staff intended, in its clearly partisan mischaracterization of the WSJ staff's concerns, and the insults it levels at its own people.

All while doing nothing to address the concerns expressed, namely the lack of proper fact-checking, and a better separation between news and opinion.

The WSJ is no more or less partisan than its competitors, nor likely does it treat its employees drastically different than at NYT and WaPo or LAT.

It's the news BUSINESS, one must remember.

The problem, to paraphrase the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, is the WSJ Editorial page is entitled to its own opinion but not its own facts.

If you say so. But if you think they are alone with that circumstance, well...
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #44437 on: July 24, 2020, 01:44:25 PM »

Didn't see anyone here post about this, and apologies if someone did:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/us/charles-evers-brother-of-medgar-evers-dies/index.html

Was that because he supported Trump? https://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2020/07/22/video-charles-evers-discusses-civil-rights-black-lives-matter-movement-and-why-he-supported-president-trump/

You have to take the good with the bad, you know. It's only fair.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #44438 on: July 24, 2020, 01:46:18 PM »

The WSJ is no more or less partisan than its competitors

I know this is your shtick, UNO, but I'll just point out that this is provably false (I know of no other editorial dept that would use a derogatory term to describe Americans too poor to pay income tax) and the Editorial Board's response letter is part of that proof.

It was defensive, preening and leans into partisan bullshit like that line about "pro­gres­sive can­cel cul­ture" because its employees asked that they employ better fact checking in the section.

No more or less partisan than its competitors?

To quote kiidcarter8:  Bonk!!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44439 on: July 24, 2020, 01:54:28 PM »

When Red was on about the whiteness of Portland, he may have been referring to the klanness of Oregon generally and it’s effect on the composition and behavior of Portland cops who predominantly live outside the city they police. 

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/portland-dhs-federal-police-history.html

If you are white and support the klan, it may be easy to mistakenly conflate whites and klan members.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #44440 on: July 24, 2020, 01:56:49 PM »

I think it's good to ask yourself why you are giving money to Starbucks or Home Depot instead of a local merchant (if possible) or one more allied with your values.
On a national scale, why give our money to China or Saudi Arabia.

As for consumerism, a real problem is that kids are subjected to the marketing blizzard at a very young age, and it is very effective on them (to the annoyance of parents everywhere).  But when you grow up in such an environment, it becomes normalized and it can be hard to shake or look at critically.  One of the genius areas in America is marketing, making things sound impressive and desirable, and that you are worse off without whatever item they are touting.

One of my favorite examples, there's a German cereal called Chocolumpus with some generic cartoon animal on the packaging.  It looks like someone whipped that whole concept and ad campaign up in one afternoon on their own.   It's almost like admitting that's it's just cereal and not that important.  In the US, it's Count Chocula, or Frosted Flakes with Tony the Tiger, who has his own catchphrase and almost seems like an old friend by now.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #44441 on: July 24, 2020, 02:01:13 PM »

The WSJ is no more or less partisan than its competitors

I know this is your shtick, UNO, but I'll just point out that this is provably false (I know of no other editorial dept that would use a derogatory term to describe Americans too poor to pay income tax) and the Editorial Board's response letter is part of that proof.

It was defensive, preening and leans into partisan bullshit like that line about "pro­gres­sive can­cel cul­ture" because its employees asked that they employ better fact checking in the section.

No more or less partisan than its competitors?

To quote kiidcarter8:  Bonk!!

Yes. No more or less.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44442 on: July 24, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »

I saw it, thanks.  It is a more revealing letter than I think the WSJ Editorial Staff intended, in its clearly partisan mischaracterization of the WSJ staff's concerns, and the insults it levels at its own people.

All while doing nothing to address the concerns expressed, namely the lack of proper fact-checking, and a better separation between news and opinion.

The WSJ is no more or less partisan than its competitors, nor likely does it treat its employees drastically different than at NYT and WaPo or LAT.

The problem, to paraphrase the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, is the WSJ Editorial page is entitled to its own opinion but not its own facts.

The Wall Street Journal Editorial page is and has been as ridiculously partisan as it’s business and news division have been fact driven.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44443 on: July 24, 2020, 02:02:17 PM »

Do you (a) think everybody is equally culpable? (b) think that even if everybody is equally culpable, that when the staff at one objects, that an appropriate response is to say, "but what about them?!"

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44444 on: July 24, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »

Didn't see anyone here post about this, and apologies if someone did:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/us/charles-evers-brother-of-medgar-evers-dies/index.html

Was that because he supported Trump? https://www.natchezdemocrat.com/2020/07/22/video-charles-evers-discusses-civil-rights-black-lives-matter-movement-and-why-he-supported-president-trump/

You have to take the good with the bad, you know. It's only fair.

I had no idea who he supported nor that he died.

Thank you for the post.

And yes, it is nice that you provided good, now and then, to go with the bad.

;-)
Pages: 1 ... 2961 2962 [2963] 2964 2965 ... 4288