Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2977 2978 [2979] 2980 2981 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008888 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44670 on: July 25, 2020, 09:07:22 PM »

Really? Then in order to avoid looking like one of the definitions of cretin, "stupid", why don't you look to  another, "vulgar."
And?
How does Eric Bolling qualify to be called a cretin?

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #44671 on: July 25, 2020, 09:08:50 PM »

What did your research tell you, Red?
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #44672 on: July 25, 2020, 09:11:05 PM »

I think it's good to ask yourself why you are giving money to Starbucks or Home Depot instead of a local merchant (if possible) or one more allied with your values.
On a national scale, why give our money to China or Saudi Arabia.

As for consumerism, a real problem is that kids are subjected to the marketing blizzard at a very young age, and it is very effective on them (to the annoyance of parents everywhere).  But when you grow up in such an environment, it becomes normalized and it can be hard to shake or look at critically.  One of the genius areas in America is marketing, making things sound impressive and desirable, and that you are worse off without whatever item they are touting.

One of my favorite examples, there's a German cereal called Chocolumpus with some generic cartoon animal on the packaging.  It looks like someone whipped that whole concept and ad campaign up in one afternoon on their own.   It's almost like admitting that's it's just cereal and not that important.  In the US, it's Count Chocula, or Frosted Flakes with Tony the Tiger, who has his own catchphrase and almost seems like an old friend by now.

Product marketing isn't about creating a product and then convincing people they need it.  It's about discovering an unmet need in the market and meeting that need.  In the cereal case there is as an actual market need for "convenient breakfast food kids can prepare" for themselves while mom and dad are off to work or sleeping late on saturday mornings.  So it makes sense from a marketing perspective to target certain of their products (typically the high sugar-sweetened cereals you describe) to children themselves.  There are some of the earliest advertisements a child will have targeted at them.  There's nothing inherently nefarious about the marketing of it, but this is where a society ideally would want some regulation to limit the sugar/corn-syrup content in all cereals.  This is an issue where a "free market" will damage the health of the society if un-checked by regulation.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44673 on: July 25, 2020, 09:16:05 PM »

Because he's a cretin.
Really?
How so?
Do a little research.
I have.
You haven’t.
You don’t even know the meaning of cretin.

Hard to say whether or not it’s from a congenital thyroid condition, but Eric Bolling squarely meets every other criteria.

There are hours and hours of tape.

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44674 on: July 25, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »

I think it's good to ask yourself why you are giving money to Starbucks or Home Depot instead of a local merchant (if possible) or one more allied with your values.
On a national scale, why give our money to China or Saudi Arabia.

As for consumerism, a real problem is that kids are subjected to the marketing blizzard at a very young age, and it is very effective on them (to the annoyance of parents everywhere).  But when you grow up in such an environment, it becomes normalized and it can be hard to shake or look at critically.  One of the genius areas in America is marketing, making things sound impressive and desirable, and that you are worse off without whatever item they are touting.

One of my favorite examples, there's a German cereal called Chocolumpus with some generic cartoon animal on the packaging.  It looks like someone whipped that whole concept and ad campaign up in one afternoon on their own.   It's almost like admitting that's it's just cereal and not that important.  In the US, it's Count Chocula, or Frosted Flakes with Tony the Tiger, who has his own catchphrase and almost seems like an old friend by now.

Product marketing isn't about creating a product and then convincing people they need it.  It's about discovering an unmet need in the market and meeting that need.  In the cereal case there is as an actual market need for "convenient breakfast food kids can prepare" for themselves while mom and dad are off to work or sleeping late on saturday mornings.  So it makes sense from a marketing perspective to target certain of their products (typically the high sugar-sweetened cereals you describe) to children themselves.  There are some of the earliest advertisements a child will have targeted at them.  There's nothing inherently nefarious about the marketing of it, but this is where a society ideally would want some regulation to limit the sugar/corn-syrup content in all cereals.  This is an issue where a "free market" will damage the health of the society if un-checked by regulation.
Or, in a free society, parents will decide what sugar content of cereal is permissible by not buying the product or limiting the servings.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44675 on: July 25, 2020, 09:21:57 PM »

For the life of me I do not understand what political benefit Trump and his high-kommand see by sending kids to dens of sure infection and death, and inevitably closing schools before the elections, as covid teaches yet another deadly lesson to the hoplessly deplorable.

He's not

Its up to the governors

You didnt (dont) want a dictator, right?

Right?

Kiid, having lost the ability to rationalize the stupid shit trump does and tries to do, in a typically lazy republican fashion has moved on to simply denying any of it is happening.

We’ll have to add the rapid deterioration of Kiidcarter8 to trump’s destructive legacy.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44676 on: July 25, 2020, 09:27:13 PM »

That Bolling allegedly sent improper emails to three Fox women employees.
Bolling denied it and has an active defamation of character suit against one of the women. Fox News investigated and the Company and Bolling agreed “ amicably”
 ( according to the Huffington Post) to part ways.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #44677 on: July 25, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »

I'm sure he'll win that.  You're welcome to believe him. I don't.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 09:33:36 PM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #44678 on: July 25, 2020, 09:36:15 PM »

That Bolling allegedly sent improper emails to three Fox women employees.
Bolling denied it and has an active defamation of character suit against one of the women. Fox News investigated and the Company and Bolling agreed “ amicably”
 ( according to the Huffington Post) to part ways.

On top of that, he’s a cretin who spits poisonous bile and brays like an ass.

He’s a red state recidivist, except he stinks of Jersey.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #44679 on: July 25, 2020, 09:38:32 PM »

We've gone from Red saying I don't know what "cretin" means to his hanging his hat on "allegedly."  Progress?

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #44680 on: July 25, 2020, 09:38:38 PM »

But they are ALLOWED to be.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/social_issues/americans_say_blacks_more_racist_than_whites_hispanics_asians

Yeah maybe.  But what did you expect?   Not a surprise if they've internalized racism after being subjected to it all their lives.   
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44681 on: July 25, 2020, 09:53:56 PM »

I'm sure he'll win that.  You're welcome to believe him. I don't.
What a surprise. Fire, ready, aim.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44682 on: July 25, 2020, 09:55:06 PM »

We've gone from Red saying I don't know what "cretin" means to his hanging his hat on "allegedly."  Progress?
That’s two words you have trouble defining. 

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #44683 on: July 25, 2020, 09:56:48 PM »

Now you're being a cretin.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44684 on: July 25, 2020, 09:59:25 PM »

Now you're being a cretin.
LOL!
Pages: 1 ... 2977 2978 [2979] 2980 2981 ... 4288