Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3019 3020 [3021] 3022 3023 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007980 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #45300 on: July 30, 2020, 11:07:52 AM »

I think there's a nine percent chance of that.

barton

« Reply #45301 on: July 30, 2020, 11:10:13 AM »

For Bambi:  in the 2012 presidential race,  Cain had a plan to have all forms of taxation be at nine percent.   It was the centerpiece of his campaign.   

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45302 on: July 30, 2020, 11:11:59 AM »

Pray for RBG.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45303 on: July 30, 2020, 11:13:50 AM »

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's campaign said on Thursday it was expanding advertising into the battleground state of Ohio, highlighting his media offensive into states that President Donald Trump won in 2016.

The new ad marks Biden's first advertising push of the general election season into Ohio - where Trump beat Democrat Hillary Clinton handily in 2016 - and what the campaign said was the ninth battleground state in which it will be "up on the air with ads."

It will contrast Biden's "working-class upbringing" with the Trump administration's prioritization of "wealthy donors and the well-connected," the campaign said in a statement, and will run on broadcast and digital platforms in the Youngstown and Toledo markets through the Democratic convention in late August.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-opens-election-front-ohio-150034687.html
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45304 on: July 30, 2020, 11:15:12 AM »

Tulsa

Cain was among the highest-profile public figures in the United States to have died from COVID-19. A 74-year-old survivor of stage 4 colon cancer, Cain had been a business executive and the board chairman of a branch of Kansas City’s Federal Reserve Bank before moving into Republican politics and eventually becoming a presidential candidate.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/former-gop-presidential-candidate-herman-cain-dies-after-battle-with-coronavirus.html?__source=newsletterbreakingnews

Think Trump will go to HIS funeral?

It's a good question - but I doubt it. I don't think he gave a fuck about Herman Cain in life.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45305 on: July 30, 2020, 11:16:04 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/senate-gop-coronavirus-relief-bill-163059477.html

The Senate GOP coronavirus bill unveiled on Monday includes $1.75 billion for the creation of a new FBI building in Washington, DC.

Guess they'll be investigating the disease.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #45306 on: July 30, 2020, 11:16:28 AM »

𝑺𝒐 𝒊𝒕'𝒔 𝐒𝐀𝐅𝐄 𝐭𝐨 𝐨𝐩𝐞𝐧 𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐨𝐨𝐥𝐬.
𝑩𝑼𝑻 𝐓𝐎𝐎 𝐃𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐭𝐨 𝐡𝐨𝐥𝐝 𝐚𝐧 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧??

barton

« Reply #45307 on: July 30, 2020, 11:18:19 AM »

Trump's tweets on keeping low-income human filth out of nice clean suburbs (as Banks commented on here) is another illustration of a basic Trumpian quality:  he NEVER EVER evolves on any issue.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #45308 on: July 30, 2020, 11:18:47 AM »

Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden's campaign said on Thursday it was expanding advertising into the battleground state of Ohio, highlighting his media offensive into states that President Donald Trump won in 2016.

The new ad marks Biden's first advertising push of the general election season into Ohio - where Trump beat Democrat Hillary Clinton handily in 2016 - and what the campaign said was the ninth battleground state in which it will be "up on the air with ads."

It will contrast Biden's "working-class upbringing" with the Trump administration's prioritization of "wealthy donors and the well-connected," the campaign said in a statement, and will run on broadcast and digital platforms in the Youngstown and Toledo markets through the Democratic convention in late August.

https://news.yahoo.com/biden-opens-election-front-ohio-150034687.html

It was funny hearing Biden's reaction, his answer when asked about the Trump "police will respond within 5 days" ad.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45309 on: July 30, 2020, 11:21:13 AM »

2 days before the election my mother asked me who was going to win, and I hesitated a bit and said probably Hillary but it was going to be close.

Trump had enthusiasm.  It's always hard to win a 3rd straight term for a single party (though O avoided scandal and the economy was pretty decent).  Clinton was probably the most qualified candidate since Monroe, yet had been a GOP punching bag for decades.  The last minute FBI meddling was worrisome.  And a lot of folks weren't ready to vote for a female leader.

To add to that, Clinton failed to shore up her Midwest base, despite Trump saying that was his path to victory.  Instead doing last week rallies in Arizona.  Clinton's strength was always supposed to be her ground game, not campaigning, but it didn't pan out and Trump's use of twitter trumped whatever traditional knock on doors approach Clinton had.

In general, I'm surprised anyone would vote for a blowhard ignoramus such as Trump.  But he successfully demagogued a few issues: anti-immigration, anti-free trade, anti-war, Clinton corruption (lock her up .. for using an email server) and weaponized twitter quite well.

Also, GOP obstructionism ultimately paid off.  They limited what Obama could accomplish, slowed down economic growth under O, and motivated their base by stealing a Supreme Court seat.  If O was able to get more done, had the economy growing faster, and added a Lefty to the SCOTUS, there would have been more enthusiasm for the Dems and Hillary, especially among independents.

Lastly Trump got away with misrepresenting himself as a moderate in some areas, saying he'd get rid of O-care and replace it with better, wouldn't touch SS and Medicare, while tossing out a few other moderate bromides he never intended.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
BAD NEWS FOR COPS!!!
« Reply #45310 on: July 30, 2020, 11:21:48 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/business/dunkin-donut-closures/index.html

Dunkin' is permanently closing 8% of its United States locations, which amounts to roughly 800 restaurants.

The company announced the changes in its second quarter earnings, released Thursday. Dunkin' described the closures as "real estate portfolio rationalization" and said the affected locations are in "low-volume sales locations" that only represent 2% of its US sales as of 2019.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45311 on: July 30, 2020, 11:22:28 AM »

RIP Herman Cain.

COVID-19.

Which accusation are you going to make this time, Kid?

That we're partying? Or that we're making up the cause of death and it isn't really the virus that killed him?

Old and had underlying health issues.
Not to mention melanin.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #45312 on: July 30, 2020, 11:26:09 AM »

Where's the AG Barr, on this one?

A federal judge delayed the unsealing of a deposition of Jeffery Epstein's former girlfriend and alleged accomplice to allow her time to appeal its release.

US District Judge Loretta Preska denied Ghislaine Maxwell's request to block the release of depositions from a 2016 civil lawsuit Wednesday but delayed the unsealing until Monday so Maxwell could ask an appeals court to review the matter, according to court documents.
Maxwell, 58, was charged by federal prosecutors in early July for allegedly helping recruit, groom and ultimately sexually abuse minors as young as 14 as part of a years-long criminal enterprise with Epstein. She pleaded not guilty and was ordered jailed pending trial. She is also charged with two counts of perjury.
The deposition Maxwell's legal team is fighting to keep sealed is connected to a 2015 defamation case brought by Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who claimed Epstein sexually abused her while she was a minor and that Maxwell aided in the abuse.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/30/us/ghislaine-maxwell-jeffrey-epstein-deposition-delay/index.html

Maybe he'll just "wish her well".

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #45313 on: July 30, 2020, 11:28:57 AM »

HRC was not a good candidate. She was qualified, and she likely would have handled this virus differently than Trump
She had 5 major flaws as a candidate, in my view.

1) She stood up for her family as one should.  Unfortunately it was in public.

2)
She didn't know how to hit back, when she got hit, without it sounding like she was delivering someone else's lines. She was a great student and could learn her lines well, but she does not speak well extemporaneously, and she never sounded unrehearsed.

She was a lawyer not a politician.

3)
She came across to many as entitled to the job of POTUS, a certain "who else but me?" That was a turn-off to many. The fact that she didn't go to Wisconsin, underscores the perception of entitlement.

I never understood this critique.
I think it mostly came down to people felt she wasn't that likable and a bit of a scold.

4)
She appeared to take Bernie Sanders's criticism personally.... She didn't know how to solve discord within her own party, and that was a problem for getting turnout, especially in states that were in play.

The Sanders crew spited themselves, were often misogynistic and needed to make an effort too.  Really I'd put more blame on them.

5)
And lastly, she was a she. No matter how far you think you've come, America, you still don't trust a woman to get the job done.

I think that's the crux.

I'd add 6. she seemed like the Old Guard as she was in politics a long time.  And maybe the W fiasco soured people a bit on dynastic family rule.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 11:38:35 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #45314 on: July 30, 2020, 11:30:40 AM »

Pray for RBG.

The docs revised her bile stent
So keeps writing strong dissent
She does her best to right wrongs
And keeps her bile where it belongs

Sometimes called notorious