Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3070 3071 [3072] 3073 3074 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1606459 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46065 on: August 04, 2020, 03:03:22 PM »

but his understanding of both the Constitution and what constitutes justice?

Red would get my nomination.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46066 on: August 04, 2020, 03:03:42 PM »

Though to be honest Biden could find a more liberal justice than Obama.  O would be a great pick if the GOP controls the Senate, but if the Dems have the run of Gov't, I'd go further left.

What issues do you think Obama would not come down on the "left" side of?!

I totally agree that he was not the most liberal president in the world. Knew it before he got elected - he was 90% exactly who he had said he would be.

But his understanding of both the Constitution and what constitutes justice?

I would be thrilled to see him on the bench.

Obàma lacks credentials for that post

Don't belittle the many that are legitimately in the running after years of service and having built superior resumes.

Get the fuck out of here. This is just stupid.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46067 on: August 04, 2020, 03:04:49 PM »

What would be lovely is if sometime early in the Biden presidency, perhaps just after the 100 day honeymoon, RBG announces that she is retiring and Biden nominates Obama.  It would be an extra bounce for Biden, put a 2nd black on SCOTUS, and symbolically compensate for the seat stolen from Obama.  It would also be a great move by RBG outlasting Trump.  Though to be honest Biden could find a more liberal justice than Obama.  O would be a great pick if the GOP controls the Senate, but if the Dems have the run of Gov't, I'd go further left.

Katie Porter & Cory Booker are my two Supreme Court picks.

Katie Porter at Treasury.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #46068 on: August 04, 2020, 03:06:04 PM »

If Biden wins, but the Democrats don't take the Senate, I think he should nominate Garland.  Let's see how the Republicans handle it then. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46069 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:07 PM »

OMG, this is too freaking funny.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/04/politics/donald-trump-mail-in-voting-florida/index.html

In apparent reversal, Trump encourages Floridians to vote by mail

"Whether you call it Vote by Mail or Absentee Voting, in Florida the election system is Safe and Secure, Tried and True. Florida's Voting system has been cleaned up (we defeated Democrats attempts at change), so in Florida I encourage all to request a Ballot & Vote by Mail! #MAGA," he tweeted.

Someone finally told him how many GOP voters in Florida do so by mail...

Gives away the game.

Mail-in ballots are a threat to our elections because they are vulnerable to election interference...except in Florida.  Florida is great.  Has nothing to do with the fact that Seniors in Florida vote by mail, and are more likely to go for Republicans, and if they were discouraged to vote by mail it would be handing the most important swing state in the election to Biden.  Nah, nothing to do with that at all.

Don't ask them why Florida mail-in ballots are uniquely invulnerable to foreign influence.  And whatever that is, certainly don't do it in other states!
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46070 on: August 04, 2020, 03:15:25 PM »

Blech.  Garland was a moderate designed to get voted in by the GOP senate.
Can do much better.

It's not that Obama wouldn't be good or on the left, it's that there are other folks who are further left and less centrist.  Obama often has moderate instincts.  I always thought the University of Chicago ruined him, when he was forced to debate within a very conservative framework.

As for qualifications, Obama was a constitutional law professor.  A senator.  And President for 8 years.  So he knows the other two branches of gov't extremely well from the inside.  Has considered and dealt with most high level legal issues.  Knows most of the justices and has appointed a few of them.  He's also smart and articulate.  So he's eminently qualified. 
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #46071 on: August 04, 2020, 03:18:23 PM »

LOL at a Trump cultist arguing about how important it is that judges being placed in lifetime appointments be qualified.

If they didn't have hypocritical arguments they wouldn't have arguments.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46072 on: August 04, 2020, 03:20:09 PM »

Hopefully we'll be getting a landslide.

But as it stands now, Biden, if Michigan and Pennsy fall his way, still needs 2 more Electron Volts (intentional silliness by Bo) to reach 270.

Which means Biden would still need one of AZ, FLA, OH, WI, NC, GA.
So there's still a pathway for Trump.
he'd again have to run the swing states.
But none of those states have been particularly easy for Dems to crack.

FLA seems the most likely to go Blue.
But as the Isley Bros put it, there's still work to do.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46073 on: August 04, 2020, 03:22:37 PM »

What would be lovely is if sometime early in the Biden presidency, perhaps just after the 100 day honeymoon, RBG announces that she is retiring and Biden nominates Obama.  It would be an extra bounce for Biden, put a 2nd black on SCOTUS, and symbolically compensate for the seat stolen from Obama.  It would also be a great move by RBG outlasting Trump.  Though to be honest Biden could find a more liberal justice than Obama.  O would be a great pick if the GOP controls the Senate, but if the Dems have the run of Gov't, I'd go further left.

Or filling the remainder of Harris's term.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46074 on: August 04, 2020, 03:28:56 PM »

Blech.  Garland was a moderate designed to get voted in by the GOP senate.
Can do much better.

It's not that Obama wouldn't be good or on the left, it's that there are other folks who are further left and less centrist.  Obama often has moderate instincts.  I always thought the University of Chicago ruined him, when he was forced to debate within a very conservative framework.

As for qualifications, Obama was a constitutional law professor.  A senator.  And President for 8 years.  So he knows the other two branches of gov't extremely well from the inside.  Has considered and dealt with most high level legal issues.  Knows most of the justices and has appointed a few of them.  He's also smart and articulate.  So he's eminently qualified.

Jesus.

Obama was a moderate because he had to be!

Jesus Christ, he’s a black man in America, dig?

Remember the blowback whenever he spoke a black man’s truth?

“The police acted stupidly...”

“If I had a son he’d look like Trayvon...”

Don’t you know you’re own country?

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46075 on: August 04, 2020, 03:29:03 PM »

Liz at Treasury, Katie writing opinions for the next 60 or 70 years.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46076 on: August 04, 2020, 03:33:45 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/04/trump-biden-bag-tricks-giuliani-391081

This article is too nice. Trump doesn’t equate to a birthday magician at a sweet sixteen. Magicians can actually do tricks. Trump is a drugged addled deformed clown at a sweet sixteen, a role he’s been rehearsing for all his life.

What assholes hired this clown? Make sure those fucks get stuck with all the damages.

“Keep marching”.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46077 on: August 04, 2020, 03:38:07 PM »

Hopefully we'll be getting a landslide.

But as it stands now, Biden, if Michigan and Pennsy fall his way, still needs 2 more Electron Volts (intentional silliness by Bo) to reach 270.

Which means Biden would still need one of AZ, FLA, OH, WI, NC, GA.
So there's still a pathway for Trump.
he'd again have to run the swing states.
But none of those states have been particularly easy for Dems to crack.

FLA seems the most likely to go Blue.
But as the Isley Bros put it, there's still work to do.

None of these states were in the middle of an Administration inflicted pandemic with the GOP telling everyone they’re  on their own.

Nothing about politics is the same since March.

If you prepare to fight the last election chances are you lose the next.

Democrats always rerun the last election.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46078 on: August 04, 2020, 03:39:41 PM »

Liz at Treasury, Katie writing opinions for the next 60 or 70 years.

Elizabeth Warren as Senate Majority Leader.

Expand the Federal Judiciary and SCOTUS.

Lyndon Johnson

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #46079 on: August 04, 2020, 03:43:12 PM »

NBA...National Anthem played, the players all took a knee, except Meyers Leonard...he stood tall, straight and true, hand on heart, no disrespecting the US National Anthem for him.

Give him a bravery medal.

Where were you when Jonathan Isaac stood as all other knelt?   Why do you ignore black and praise white for the same act?
Mr Isaac ain't kneeling for a while. Got snyht6.

Because that's the one that was detailed on my radio.

Tune out your radio station.  It's clearly slanted.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 04:49:28 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 3070 3071 [3072] 3073 3074 ... 4288