Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3141 3142 [3143] 3144 3145 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584747 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47130 on: August 14, 2020, 11:37:15 AM »

And here it is:

USPS warns Pennsylvania mail-in ballots may not be delivered in time to be counted

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/511975-usps-warns-pennsylvania-mail-in-ballots-may-not-be-delivered-in-time-to

REDSTATEWARD:  States should be free to determine their own election process.  Unless the federal government is screwing with that process in order to elect a Republican.  Then its all good.

Even Kevin McCarthy is now pushing back against Trumpian efforts to throttle USPS, and favoring full funding.    And this guy is a Trump catamite. 

barton

« Reply #47131 on: August 14, 2020, 11:41:43 AM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/13/phony-kamala-is-just-another-predictable-trump-slur/

Former George W. Bush aide Ari Fleischer claimed Harris “is just not that historically exciting to African Americans.” Republican booster Nick Adams took to Twitter to question whether Harris herself could be considered African American since her mother is Indian and her father is Jamaican. Republicans have shifted from trying to determine who is authentically American to determining who is authentically Black.

It won’t work, and here’s why: Even Black voters who may have scrutinized the California senator’s brand of Blackness during the primary season have little stomach for such trivialities when they are so focused on unseating the incumbent. More importantly, any attempt to question a single aspect of Harris’s pedigree fails to see the bigger picture.

And it is a very big tableau: Mixed-race candidate, immigrant heritage, grandparents who spoke a language other than English, raised by single mom, a Brahman heritage from India, child of busing, HBCU graduate, blended family, sorority sister, stepmom, state law school, bicoastal, White husband, brown skin...   

That is quite a grab bag of diversity. It deviates wildly from the president’s white, picket-fence fantasy of America. And, most importantly, it creates quite a few portals for voters to peer through and see themselves in the multifaceted aspects of her life. Someone who is neither a minority nor a college graduate might relate to being raised by a single mother. Someone who is from a homogeneous country in Europe or Latin America or Asia might relate to grandparents who spoke with a different mother tongue. Someone who decided not to have children might find kinship in a woman who did not birth babies herself but loves that her family calls her “Momala.”

And it is also quite something that a woman with this array of “otherness” would be considered the safe candidate....   

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47132 on: August 14, 2020, 01:14:21 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/08/13/phony-kamala-is-just-another-predictable-trump-slur/

Former George W. Bush aide Ari Fleischer claimed Harris “is just not that historically exciting to African Americans.” Republican booster Nick Adams took to Twitter to question whether Harris herself could be considered African American since her mother is Indian and her father is Jamaican. Republicans have shifted from trying to determine who is authentically American to determining who is authentically Black.

It's hilarious, even as it is emblematic of how sick they are.

And how sick we, as a country, are.

Oh, they carefully avoided "Is she Black?" sticking to an easier (they thought) target.

She's a PoC.

They are PoS.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47133 on: August 14, 2020, 01:20:45 PM »

It's hilarious, even as it is emblematic of how sick they are.

And how sick we, as a country, are.

Oh, they carefully avoided "Is she Black?" sticking to an easier (they thought) target.

She's a PoC.

They are PoS.

They are PoS that are losing bigly, bitter frightened PoS.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47134 on: August 14, 2020, 01:26:41 PM »

https://cnb.cx/3iBIEWX?fbclid=IwAR0DAwYeGOnpeiJOCgWdwvRjEGYaHckVQSOCK1xE8Pllnzat-iMwKpLJPes

The Senate adjourns through Labor Day.

Nice work if you can get it.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47135 on: August 14, 2020, 01:54:34 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-14-20-intl/h_88b2c21371ce51e44994c3f44f7fdea2

No results on vaccine trials until after election day.

Maybe they're sending them through the mail.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47136 on: August 14, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/politics/homeland-security-cuccinelli-wolf-gao/index.html

The candidate of "Law and  Order" made invalid appointments of Wolf and Cuccinelli, says the GAO.

So surprised,

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47140 on: August 14, 2020, 03:57:42 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/opinions/gop-condemn-birther-conspiracy-nonsense-harris-heye/index.html

Douglas Heye is the ex-deputy chief of staff to former House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, a GOP strategist and a CNN political commentator. Follow him on Twitter @dougheye. The opinions expressed in this commentary are his own. View more opinion on CNN.

(CNN)Here we go again.

As news of Kamala Harris' selection to be the Democratic vice president broke, Democrats were warning that racist and sexist attacks on Harris would be coming. As a Republican who saw how Democrats often stayed silent when Sarah Palin was caricatured as a "Caribou Barbie" doll, and sees how Democrats seem to call every Republican policy or criticism some kind of microaggression or outright racism, I was prepared to roll my eyes.
Except, they were not wrong.

First came the Newsweek opinion piece "Some Questions for Kamala Harris About Eligibility," which made its way through the pro-Trump echo chamber, including a Trump campaign aide, up to -- inevitably -- the President himself. At Thursday's news conference, the President gave another variation on his "many people are saying" theme. "But that's a very serious... you're saying that, they're saying that she doesn't qualify because she wasn't born in this country," the President incorrectly said.

I did not expect that the Oakland-born Harris would be subject to a reprise of the "birther" attacks used to falsely question Barack Obama's legitimacy. But having had a front row seat to watch what my party has devolved into over the past decade, maybe I should not have been surprised.

At a prominent meeting of Republican officials in the South in 2011, a Barack Obama impersonator was hired -- to tell "black" jokes and walk out to the crowd playing Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A." The audience loved it. Mark Meadows, who is now the White House chief of staff, was heard on video saying we should "send Obama back to Kenya" in 2012.

And in the basement of the Capitol, at the House Republican Conference, I watched as one Republican member, Louie Gohmert, joked at an "open mic" to his colleagues, "Kenya hear me?"

Yes, there were groans -- there usually are when Gohmert addresses his colleagues -- but not universally. And while serving as the communications director for the Republican National Committee and its first African American chairman, I had to deal with an otherwise well-meaning staffer who posted a sarcastic joke on Twitter -- a place where sarcasm does not work -- about our President being Muslim in 2010.

Instead of pushing back on the story, I decided at least one Republican needed to come clean on this nonsense, so I made the following statement: "The RNC has never spoken about the President's Christianity because it is both crystal clear and a non-issue," the statement read. I still remember typing that statement out, typing the word "religion," then replacing it with "Christianity" to make the point finer.

The statement brought me a lot of praise from colleagues of both parties and from journalists. Sam Stein, then at HuffPost, called it "perhaps the fullest distancing yet of any Republican entity from the Obama-is-a-Muslim rumors."
But did it put a dent in any of this? Sadly, no. And the worst was yet to come.

All of those anecdotes have a common thread. For a Panamanian-born John McCain, the son of a Mexican-born father Mitt Romney and the Canadian-born Ted Cruz -- no problem. But for the first Black President, and now for the first Black nominee for vice president, the signal is clear: they're not "one of us." They don't belong here. It's been a time-tested refrain, one my first political boss, Jesse Helms, used successfully. But those days should be long gone.

The GOP is racist. Not all of its individual members are, except that by their silence they endorse the racism. By your denial, you endorse racism. By your attempts to make it seem okay, you engage in that racism.

It's not just Democrats saying it. It's the honest members of your own party saying it.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47141 on: August 14, 2020, 04:02:35 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/14/entertainment/marge-simpson-jenna-ellis-kamala-harris/index.html

Marge Simpson responds to Jenna Ellis' assertion that Kamala Harris sounds like Marge Simpson.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47142 on: August 14, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

Sen. Elizabeth Warren Demands ‘Corruption' Probe After Report of Amazon Options Purchase by Postal Service Chief Louis DeJoy

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #47143 on: August 14, 2020, 04:45:59 PM »

Why?

Because they must be stopped from cancelling everything just because they don't like them...and they want to change society into their version of it.
First They Came...
...then they came for me.
They've already come for me...trying to cancel me...White, heterosexual, (Christian or not) male ...me.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #47144 on: August 14, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »

Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 3141 3142 [3143] 3144 3145 ... 4288