Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3297 3298 [3299] 3300 3301 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1861689 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #49470 on: September 05, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »

Black lives movement relates to descendants of slaves and their problems with acceptance and equality and not immigrants from failed cultures with a big chip on their shoulders.

Founding member of BLM? Did you write the mission statement? If so, put that up for us, luee.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49471 on: September 05, 2020, 02:03:56 PM »

WASHINGTON — A former senior FBI agent at the center of the investigations into Hillary Clinton’s email server and the Trump campaign’s ties to Russia defends the handling of the inquiries and declares President Donald Trump a national security threat in a new memoir, while admitting that the bureau made mistakes that upended the 2016 presidential election.

The former agent, Peter Strzok, who was removed from the special counsel’s team and later fired over disparaging texts he sent about Trump, has mostly kept silent as the president and his supporters have vilified him.

But Strzok’s new book, “Compromised,” a copy of which was obtained by The New York Times before its publication Tuesday, provides a detailed account of navigating the two politically toxic investigations and a forceful apologia of the bureau’s acts. Strzok also reveals details about the FBI’s internal debate over investigating the president himself, writing that the question arose early in the Trump presidency and suggesting that agents were eyeing others around Trump. Strzok was himself at first opposed to investigating the president.

But in a scathing appraisal, Strzok concludes that Trump is hopelessly corrupt and a national security threat. The investigations that Strzok oversaw showed the president’s “willingness to accept political assistance from an opponent like Russia — and, it follows, his willingness to subvert everything America stands for.”

Now, that guy is a real Patriot!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49472 on: September 05, 2020, 02:09:26 PM »

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49473 on: September 05, 2020, 02:13:06 PM »

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/supreme-court-congress-aca-cares-act-ruling.html

This makes sense to me, but I have run it past my favorite former government lawyer and member of the SCOTUS bar to get an opinion from somebody actually trained to analyze such things.

It’s an interesting argument. It’s probably worth trying, but I’m not sure I would be persuaded. One could argue that the law is on the books right now so they have no choice but to operate underneath it.

The counter to that was:
I guess if I were making the argument, I would say "and if Congress had wanted to make sure this holds even if Obamacare is overturned, it could, would, and should have said so. They didn't because they want it to do so."

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49474 on: September 05, 2020, 02:14:12 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49476 on: September 05, 2020, 02:38:43 PM »

The vast majority of the thousands of Black Lives Matter protests this summer have been peaceful, with more than 93% involving no serious harm to people or damage to property, according to a new report tracking political violence in the United States.

But the US government has taken a “heavy-handed approach” to the demonstrations, with authorities using force “more often than not” when they are present, the report found.

And there has been a troubling trend of violence and armed intimidation by individual actors, including dozens of car-ramming attacks targeting demonstrators across the country.

The new data on protests and the US government’s response comes from the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data project (Acled), an organization that has long tracked political violence and unrest in regions around the world, together with Princeton University’s Bridging Divides Initiative.

Data assembled by Acled has been viewed as a reliable source of information on the death toll in Yemen, civilians killed by governments in Africa and political violence against women, among other conflicts. The organization launched a new “US crisis monitor” project this year, concerned that the US is “at heightened risk of political violence and instability going into the 2020 general election”.

The results of the study present a stark contrast to claims made by the Trump administration, and widely circulated by Fox News and other rightwing media outlets...

Well, of course. Those groups always provide a stark contrast to reality.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #49477 on: September 05, 2020, 02:43:56 PM »

Neither Edison nor Latimer invented a light bulb.   Most likely Warren de la Rue,  around 1840, made the first light that was a glowing filament inside an evacuated bulb.   

Both Edison and Latimer later advanced the concept towards something commercially viable.   It was Latimer whose modifications to a carbon filament made a light that was practical to mass produce and was affordable. 

Joseph Swan is who I would see as doing the lion's share of the groundwork,  from 1850 - 1878, on developing the filament based bulb.
Revisionist Fact-based history based on misinterpreting a google search years of studying the history of technology.   

FIFY

I can't help noticing you don't actually provide evidence to contest my facts.   

Trolls gotta troll.
That would be you. The history of the light bulb is easily researched. You and Biden distort it   I guess, for political gotchas.
Laughable,  but wholly predictable.

And yet, as always, you provide nothing to support your position, Ward.

I'm not even disagreeing with you - I am pointing out that if it were that easy, you would provide EVIDENCE. You don't. Support your argument or shut up. (My evidence is in the post to which I am responding in which you talk but have no references.)
My original response  was clear.

The history of the light bulb is easily researched.

Sorry if you are confused.

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #49478 on: September 05, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »

Neither Edison nor Latimer invented a light bulb.   Most likely Warren de la Rue,  around 1840, made the first light that was a glowing filament inside an evacuated bulb.   

Both Edison and Latimer later advanced the concept towards something commercially viable.   It was Latimer whose modifications to a carbon filament made a light that was practical to mass produce and was affordable. 

Joseph Swan is who I would see as doing the lion's share of the groundwork,  from 1850 - 1878, on developing the filament based bulb.
Revisionist Fact-based history based on misinterpreting a google search years of studying the history of technology.   

FIFY

I can't help noticing you don't actually provide evidence to contest my facts.   

Trolls gotta troll.
That would be you. The history of the light bulb is easily researched. You and Biden distort it   I guess, for political gotchas.
Laughable,  but wholly predictable.

And yet, as always, you provide nothing to support your position, Ward.

I'm not even disagreeing with you - I am pointing out that if it were that easy, you would provide EVIDENCE. You don't. Support your argument or shut up. (My evidence is in the post to which I am responding in which you talk but have no references.)
My original response  was clear.

The history of the light bulb is easily researched.

Sorry if you are confused.

Your original response was clear.

You made a claim and an accusation.

You chose to provide ZERO data to support your position.

You chose to do so again here.

No confusion at all.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #49479 on: September 05, 2020, 03:37:18 PM »

...[He]patented his first invention in 1869: an electric vote recorder that eliminated the need for roll call by instantly tallying votes. It worked so well that no legislative body wanted it, because it left no time for lobbying amid the yeas and nays.

That failure cured Edison of any interest in invention for invention’s sake: from then on, he cultivated a taste for the practical and the profitable. Although legislators did not want their votes counted faster, everyone else wanted everything else to move as quickly as possible. Financial companies, for instance, wanted their stock information immediately, and communication companies wanted to speed up their telegram service. Edison’s first lucrative products were a stock-ticker device and a quadruplex telegraph, capable of sending four messages at once. Armed with those inventions, he found financial support for his telegraphy research, and used money from Western Union to buy an abandoned building in New Jersey to serve as a workshop...

Unlike his onetime employee and sometime rival Nikola Tesla, Edison insisted that answers came not from his mind but from his laboratory. “I never had an idea in my life,” he once said. “My so-called inventions already existed in the environment—I took them out. I’ve created nothing. Nobody does. There’s no such thing as an idea being brain-born; everything comes from the outside.”

In that conviction, Edison was, perhaps, ahead of his time. Three decades after Edison died, the sociologist Robert K. Merton put forward a theory concerning simultaneous invention, or what he called multiple discoveries: think of Newton and Leibniz coming up with calculus independently but concurrently; or Charles Darwin and Alfred Russel Wallace thinking their way to natural selection at nearly the same time; or inventors in Spain, Italy, and Britain sorting out steam engines within a few decades of one another. In Merton’s terms, “multiples” are more common than “singletons,” which is to say that discovery and invention are rarely the product of only one person. The problems of the age attract the problem solvers of the age, all of whom work more or less within the same constraints and avail themselves of the same existing theories and technologies.

Merton provides a useful context for Edison, who, as he himself knew, was never inventing ex nihilo; rather, he was nipping at the heels of other inventors while trying to stay ahead of the ones at his. It may be satisfying to talk of Alexander Graham Bell inventing the telephone, but Elisha Gray filed a patent for one on the same day, and Edison improved on both of their designs.

That's how the entire concept of "invention" really works. Consider the "invention" of baseball.

Reflecting on the appeal of history in Jane Austen's Northanger Abbey, heroine Catherine Morland comments, "I often think it odd that it should be so dull, for a great deal of it must be invention." Indeed. And in no field of American endeavor is invention more rampant than in baseball, whose whole history is a lie from beginning to end, from its creation myth to its rosy models of commerce, community, and fair play. The game's epic feats and revered figures, its pieties about racial harmony and bleacher democracy, its artful blurring of sport and business — all of it is bunk, tossed up with a wink and a nudge. Yet we love both the game and the flimflam because they are both so . . . American. Baseball has been blessed in equal measure by Lincoln and by Barnum.

Miss Austen's novel, written in 1798, but published posthumously twenty years later, is today well known in baseball-history circles not for the passage above but for this one:

Mrs. Morland was a very good woman, and wished to see her children everything they ought to be; but her time was so much occupied in lying-in and teaching the little ones, that her elder daughters were inevitably left to shift for themselves; and it was not very wonderful that Catherine, who had nothing heroic about her, should prefer cricket, base ball, riding on horseback, and running about the country at the age of fourteen, to books—or at least books of information. . . .

Yet before April 1937, when Robert W. Henderson of the New York Public Library called public attention to this Austen reference to baseball, and to an even earlier woodcut of the game in John Newbery's A Little Pretty Pocket-Book (1744), few Americans knew that English boys and girls had played a game called baseball, whatever its rules may have been. Magnanimously, we had granted the Brits their primacy in cricket; some American cosmopolites might go so far as to acknowledge a playing-fields link between their national game and ours — perhaps, as the early sportswriter Henry Chadwick claimed, through rounders — but baseball, well, that was our game.

A special commission constituted by sporting-goods magnate Albert Goodwill Spalding affirmed in 1908, after nearly three years' purported study of the game's true origin, that baseball was assuredly American for it had been created from the fertile brain of twenty-year old Abner Doubleday in Cooperstown, New York, in 1839. Critics of the commission's methods and conclusions soon made an alternative case for the genius of Alexander Cartwright and the Knickerbocker Base Ball Club, founded in New York in 1845. Weary after decades of America's jingoistic rodomontade, the British gallantly departed the field, never having comprehended what the whole fuss was about ("it's just rounders, you know").

So, the "history" of any general improvement in the quality of life is likely its own particular "invention".

« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 03:41:05 PM by UNO »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #49480 on: September 05, 2020, 04:11:47 PM »

‘Nuff said.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49481 on: September 05, 2020, 04:48:27 PM »

‘Nuff said.

Your original response was clearly wrong. Your decision to get all pig faced about it was clearly expected and in character.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49482 on: September 05, 2020, 05:09:28 PM »

"The media are simply the PR wing for the Biden campaign at this point," Ben Shapiro reacted.

heh

Sadly - yes.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/biden-press-conference-shamefully-embarrassing-questions-reporters

Ben Shapiro?

Dude clowned himself just a couple of weeks ago... and his wife convinced him her DAP is normal:

https://www.funnyordie.com/2020/8/13/21366714/ben-shapiros-reaction-to-wap-is-straight-up-embarrassing-twitter

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49483 on: September 05, 2020, 05:13:42 PM »

‘Nuff said.

Your original response was clearly wrong. Your decision to get all pig faced about it was clearly expected and in character.
But it keeps him from having to acknowledge "loser sucker" dead soldiers so it meets his purpose.
Please. Accept the mystery.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #49484 on: September 05, 2020, 05:20:12 PM »

I wasn't agreeing with Biden at all,  as could be easily understood by reading my post.

The light bulb as we know it today was not invented by any one person.   

Still awaiting evidence that rebuts what I originally posted.   Which means I'm done with this topic.

I believe Biden’s point was black kids in school most likely have never heard of Latimer.

The backlash against Joe’s ham handed statement is steeped in the same racist reaction the GOP had to the Pulitzer Prize Winning ‘1619 Project’ and the anti-bias training in the federal agencies being ended by Trump
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 3297 3298 [3299] 3300 3301 ... 4288