Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3446 3447 [3448] 3449 3450 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997264 times)

oilcan

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51705 on: September 30, 2020, 12:14:01 PM »

Banks was saying something about craven GOP Senators will be all pretending they didn't hear Trump's comment on "stand by" -- how about pretending it was just a verbal glitch...

From WaPo morning report....

Sen. Tim Scott (S.C.), the only Black Republican in the Senate, said Wednesday that Trump should “correct” his comments in response to a debate question about whether he would condemn self-described white supremacists.

Scott spoke to reporters on Capitol Hill a day after Trump, in response to a question from debate moderator Chris Wallace, refused to condemn self-proclaimed white supremacists.

Asked whether he found Trump’s comments concerning, Scott said, “I think he misspoke in response to Chris Wallace’s comment. He was asking Chris what he wanted to say. I think he misspoke. I think he should correct it.”

"Correct it."  bwahahahahaha! 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51706 on: September 30, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2020/9/30/america-is-cracking-up-the-first-presidential-debate-proved-it/

They are celebrating our demise in other lands. Thank Trump.

But this is a good point:

An effervescent CNN personality assembled a group of socially-distanced, undecided voters from that notoriously fickle swing-state, Ohio. The gaggle of “I’m still on the fence” gnomes were treated with cloying deference and respect that they should never be afforded by anyone, at any time, for any reason.

As I wrote in an Al Jazeera opinion column earlier this month, if you are an “undecided” voter in the face of Trump’s soul-and-synapse-shattering, nearly four-year-long cavalcade of craziness, perjury, and criminality then, my goodness, you have either been in a self-induced coma or some form of witness-protection programme.

At the time of this writing, Trump has been in office more than 32,000 hours. The effervescent CNN host did not bother to ask the “undecided” gnomes why a one-and-half hour “debate” would help them make up their irresponsible minds when the previous 32,000 hours or more had not done the trick.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #51707 on: September 30, 2020, 12:38:28 PM »

Banks was saying something about craven GOP Senators will be all pretending they didn't hear Trump's comment on "stand by" -- how about pretending it was just a verbal glitch...

From WaPo morning report....

Sen. Tim Scott (S.C.), the only Black Republican in the Senate, said Wednesday that Trump should “correct” his comments in response to a debate question about whether he would condemn self-described white supremacists.

Scott spoke to reporters on Capitol Hill a day after Trump, in response to a question from debate moderator Chris Wallace, refused to condemn self-proclaimed white supremacists.

Asked whether he found Trump’s comments concerning, Scott said, “I think he misspoke in response to Chris Wallace’s comment. He was asking Chris what he wanted to say. I think he misspoke. I think he should correct it.”

"Correct it."  bwahahahahaha!

Yeah, Trump "mispoke" for 90 minutes.

To borrow a cliche from Trump, "He is what he is"

and what Trump is, is a corrupt racist psychopath monster who will destroy this country.

As for his cowardly enablers, one has to wonder if self-preservation (as evidenced by most polls) will spark the, "the fucking monster is out of control response" and they will actually find their balls and stand-up and fight the evil that is Trump.

The Republican cowardice in the face of this clear threat to our country is more than depressing and one wonders how even with a Biden-Blue Tsunami that sweeps the corrupt R-party out of office, if we can recover as a nation.

barton

« Reply #51708 on: September 30, 2020, 12:48:26 PM »

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2020/9/30/america-is-cracking-up-the-first-presidential-debate-proved-it/

I have wondered about the fence straddlers for a long time.  That writer puts it well.  It's funny, there was a time when fence-straddling was a somewhat honorable pastime and could even signal an open mind that respected careful deliberation and fact-sifting.  But yes, in the past four years, it would seem more indicative of being in a coma or trapped in a dungeon somewhere. 

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51709 on: September 30, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

Longtime Republican pollster Frank Luntz, who held a session with a small group of voters during the debate, told CNBC on Wednesday he and the participants came away feeling embarrassed, and he believes the battle would make the group less likely to vote.
Not voting is the point. Trump's people know that the more people who vote, the less likely he is to win. He knows that yesterday's shitshow is unlikely to affect his voters, but coupled with his attacks on the process of voting (while encouraging his people to use the system he labels fraudulent) and his negative campaigning may dissuade enough people from voting or persuade enough people that the system is broken to allow him to poach enough states to win. It worked for him in 2016: with the active assistance of Russia and the fortuitous assistance of Comey he.managed to pull off just enough votes to win despite the popular vote loss.
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51710 on: September 30, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »

I think this was mentioned here once already, but I'm going to point to it again because it needs to be done.

Last night when asked specifically to denounce White Supremacy, a violent movement that has killed and committed acts of terror in the name of maintaining a racial hierarchy in this country, the man elected to be President of the United States instead told those people to "Stand By" and await orders.

Yes.  That really happened. 

And no, Trump's supporters on this forum can not run from the fact that being pro-Trump is being pro racism.  Its out in the open now.  Denouncing the guy who you've spent four years defending (because Taxcuts) or staying silent are your only options right now.

"He misspoke. It was obvious what he meant," that they should stand down and back off. That was an example of the post-debate "explanation" offered by his family and staff.

And of course Ward and Kid can run from it.

What part of "lie, deny, and obfuscate" do you think has ceased being in operation here?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51712 on: September 30, 2020, 01:17:37 PM »

One more fact check:

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51713 on: September 30, 2020, 01:37:09 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51714 on: September 30, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »

AG Cameron claimed there was no body cam footage from the officers who conducted the raid.

This has now been proven false.

He wants a week to redact names, etc., from individuals testifying.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51715 on: September 30, 2020, 01:51:54 PM »

It's still garbage, but it is entertaining garbage, now.

https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/elections/election_2020/white_house_watch_sep30

In which Biden went from 1% down a couple weeks ago to 1% up a week ago to 8% up in the new report from Rasmussen.

This was done prior to last night's "debate."

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51717 on: September 30, 2020, 03:28:41 PM »

A former federal prosecutor during the Watergate investigation, which uncovered criminal activity that led to former President Richard Nixon's resignation, said the bombshell New York Times report on President Donald Trump's taxes suggests that he could ultimately face time behind bars along with his daughter, senior White House adviser Ivanka Trump.

"No question about it," Nick Akerman told CNN's Erin Burnett in a Monday interview. "And his daughter could go to jail, too. Tax evasion is a five-year felony. It's a pretty serious crime, and the more money that's stolen, the longer you go to jail."

Akerman, who investigated Nixon's taxes during the Watergate probe, said The Times report revealed that he was a "rookie amateur" compared to Trump.

A former federal prosecutor during the Watergate investigation, which uncovered criminal activity that led to former President Richard Nixon's resignation, said the bombshell New York Times report on President Donald Trump's taxes suggests that he could ultimately face time behind bars along with his daughter, senior White House adviser Ivanka Trump.

"No question about it," Nick Akerman told CNN's Erin Burnett in a Monday interview. "And his daughter could go to jail, too. Tax evasion is a five-year felony. It's a pretty serious crime, and the more money that's stolen, the longer you go to jail."

Akerman, who investigated Nixon's taxes during the Watergate probe, said The Times report revealed that he was a "rookie amateur" compared to Trump.

Related video: Watergate prosecutor predicts Trump will be ‘toast’

"What Nixon did was essentially backdate one deed for a gift of papers to the U.S. government. He basically created a phony deed," said Akerman, whose investigation prompted the political precedent of every major-party presidential candidate publicizing his or her tax returns — until Trump.

The Times report, he said, laid out "a whole series of activities that could qualify as tax fraud — not tax avoidance." While the headline read, "Trump Tax Avoidance," Akerman said there is "a key difference" when it comes to fraud — a more serious crime.

Tax avoidance means trying to get the most deductions legally permissible under the tax code.

"Tax fraud is lying about what your income was," Akerman said. "Lying about what your deductions are."

Akerman said the report suggested multiple instances of fraud — the "most glaring" example being an allegation involving consultant fees that Trump appears to have paid to Ivanka, but which he later wrote off as a tax deduction.

Ivanka's 2017 financial disclosures show she received a $747,622 payment from a consulting company called "TTT Consulting," which she apparently co-owned with other family members. That figure matches the exact amount that her father wrote off as tax deductions for consulting fees on two Trump Organization hotel projects from the same year.

The arrangement, Akerman said, raises questions about a possible effort on the president's part to reduce his business' tax liability by not compensating family members directly. Because Ivanka was already an employee of the Trump Organization, he said, he could think of "no legitimate reason" as to why her father would have paid her in such a manner.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/no-former-watergate-prosecutor-predicts-090002089.html
Vote him out, and lock him (and her) up!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 03:30:37 PM by josh »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51718 on: September 30, 2020, 03:29:16 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/30/politics/presidential-debates-format-changes/index.html

The Presidential Debate Commission says they will make changes to 'ensure a more orderly discussion.'

"The Commission on Presidential Debates sponsors televised debates for the benefit of the American electorate. Last night's debate made clear that additional structure should be added to the format of the remaining debates to ensure a more orderly discussion of the issues," a statement from the CPD reads.

The CPD did not specify what changes were being considered or would be adopted, but said it would be "carefully considering the changes that it will adopt and will announce those measures shortly."

Both campaigns must agree to any changes.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/30/politics/donald-trump-joe-biden-debate-2020-cpd/index.html

Why changing the debate rules can't possibly solve the real problem

The statement is the CPD saying, Hey we know there's a problem and we are going to fix it!

Spoiler alert: They won't.

Because the problem wasn't, really, the rules of the first debate. It was President Donald Trump -- and his utter refusal to follow the rules his campaign had previously agreed on or, if we are being honest, any rules at all.
The problem is that Trump doesn't care about the rules -- or whether they were carefully negotiated by his campaign. He does whatever the hell he wants. He thinks he is entitled to that -- that he is special. That the rules, quite literally, don't apply to him.

So what we had on Tuesday night was two people -- former Vice President Joe Biden and Wallace -- attempting to play by the agreed-upon rules and one, in Trump, who purposely flouted those rules at every moment he could.

Think of it this way: You are playing tennis. You are following the rules. The umpire is following the rules. But your opponent refuses to keep score, pronounces that he has won every point, takes out some scissors and cuts down the net and then runs and punches you in the gut.

Is the solution the next time that you play him to a) make sure there are more rules and b) make sure he knows the rules?

OF COURSE NOT.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51719 on: September 30, 2020, 03:34:27 PM »

They can cut the mic, after a warning.

Moderator: "Mr. President, the Vice President has the floor. If you interrupt him again, I'll will be forced to cut your mic--"

T-RUMP: "Well, tell him not to..."

CLICK!

Not a difficult thing to do.

Pages: 1 ... 3446 3447 [3448] 3449 3450 ... 4288