Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4080 4081 [4082] 4083 4084 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1879083 times)

kidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #61215 on: December 28, 2020, 04:34:16 PM »

Pataki, a three-term governor, told Asman he would reopen indoor dining at 25% capacity, open schools, and not raise taxes. He also slammed the current leadership for reversing “the criminal justice policies that I put in place that made New York the safest big state in America.”

“You have to put violent criminals behind bars,” he said. “You have to stand behind the police. You cannot allow mentally ill homeless to run the streets. These are policies that we had in place, which is why some people come to New York, particularly young people. They reversed them all with tragic consequences. It hasn’t taken long for them to lose the ground that we made, but we can gain it back.”

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/pataki-new-york-andrew-cuomo-lockdown/2020/12/28/id/1003355/?oRef=vuukle
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #61216 on: December 28, 2020, 04:36:36 PM »

- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61217 on: December 28, 2020, 04:44:16 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/28/health/novavax-covid-vaccine-trial-phase-3/index.html

A 5th US vaccine enters 3rd trial phase.

If I were they, I'd have made sure they had the two new strains included.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61218 on: December 28, 2020, 04:49:23 PM »

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/300-weekly-unemployment-checks-officially-approved-for-10-weeks-as-stimulus-bill-becomes-law/

The stimulus bill has left limbo and is in the realm of reality -- but the benefits will now last for 10 weeks instead of 11.

The stimulus package benefits, according to the language in the bill, were meant to kick in Dec. 26, the day before Trump approved the legislation. His delay in signing the bill means it will take a few days for government agencies and states to organize, shrinking the bonus unemployment benefit window from 11 weeks to 10, at a loss of $300 per job seeker.

The first date for the bill to go into effect, Dec. 26, has come and gone. The checks are authorized to last until March 14, 2021. This extension also has an overflow period that lasts until April 5, 2021, which means a person who finds themselves unemployed in early 2021 would receive an additional three weeks of aid.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61219 on: December 28, 2020, 04:55:29 PM »

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/300-weekly-unemployment-checks-officially-approved-for-10-weeks-as-stimulus-bill-becomes-law/

The stimulus bill has left limbo and is in the realm of reality -- but the benefits will now last for 10 weeks instead of 11.

The stimulus package benefits, according to the language in the bill, were meant to kick in Dec. 26, the day before Trump approved the legislation. His delay in signing the bill means it will take a few days for government agencies and states to organize, shrinking the bonus unemployment benefit window from 11 weeks to 10, at a loss of $300 per job seeker.

The first date for the bill to go into effect, Dec. 26, has come and gone. The checks are authorized to last until March 14, 2021. This extension also has an overflow period that lasts until April 5, 2021, which means a person who finds themselves unemployed in early 2021 would receive an additional three weeks of aid.
Again, no eligible worker missed a regular unemployment compensation check .

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61220 on: December 28, 2020, 04:58:09 PM »

Of course not you intellectually dishonest ass. It is the people who lost eligibility when the CARES act expired who lost benefits.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61221 on: December 28, 2020, 05:18:56 PM »

Of course not you intellectually dishonest ass. It is the people who lost eligibility when the CARES act expired who lost benefits.
No one who qualified for  unemployment benefits lost them.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61222 on: December 28, 2020, 05:30:01 PM »

Yes, he was and is an intellectually dishonest ass.

No doubt he will claim that the folks who lost them didn't deserve them, but who gives a fuck what he thinks?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61223 on: December 28, 2020, 05:33:27 PM »

Yes, he was and is an intellectually dishonest ass.

No doubt he will claim that the folks who lost them didn't deserve them, but who gives a fuck what he thinks?
You only discredit yourself with such a stupid response.
You are clueless to argue  this point since you don’t even grasp the laws of unemployment compensation.
What is even more telling is you never read what YOU posted previously.
LOL!

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #61224 on: December 28, 2020, 05:43:13 PM »

I saw on television where a lady bought a house in Italy and then she made a television show about remodeling the home, etc. I could buy a vineyard and winery in Italy and make a television show out of it, and I could open a night club in Rome, etc, I could put the music students on television (I want the music students from The Saint Louis College of Music to jam at my club, and I want for the music students to use my club as a hang out), and I could open an office at Cinecitta to make "The Count of Monte Cristo." There is a lot of stuff that I could do, and we could film it all for one of the television stations, maybe A&E or something.

Here is a vineyard and winery for sale in Tuscany, making Chianti wine, with the option of buying more land to make more wine. I want to own a vineyard and winery in Tuscany, and this is the type of thing I would be interested in doing.

https://youtu.be/rFrfAV_F2es

It would take a lot of workers to run and maintain such a venture, but I can get workers from the Philippines. The Filipinos love Italy. I could hire Filipinos to help me.

I could film the whole process and show it on a television channel. Then I can use the money from the show to help to buy the real estate and to open the night club etc. Plus, the audience from the television show would eagerly be awaiting "The Count of Monte Cristo."

Just a few thoughts.

Salute,

Tony V.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61225 on: December 28, 2020, 05:48:31 PM »

Has the roadkill question been settled yet?   Eat or leave it to rot?  I've got a possum simmering on top of the radiator,  which should be medium rare by the time I pull into the driveway.   Should I remove it and toss it out on the prairie for an apex predator instead?

If you've eaten Chinese food, there's a good chance you've eaten some roadkill. And some alleykill, too. But what the hell is in McDonald's french fries?

Meanwhile, in the world of roadkill, look what these clowns are trying to serve up!

From the WSJ:
When Nevada Democrats gathered on Dec. 14 to cast Electoral College votes for Joe Biden, the winner of the state’s presidential election, Shawn Meehan and his fellow Silver State Republicans held their own meeting and voted for President Trump.

Mr. Meehan was among pro-Trump electors to cast symbolic ballots for the president in at least seven states he lost, hoping Congress will accept their votes—and not those cast by electors for Mr. Biden—on Jan. 6, when it officially counts the Electoral College votes.

“Trump won, and we have a duty to cast our votes,” said Mr. Meehan, 54 years old, a retired veteran of the U.S. Air Force. “We’re preserving our right while there’s ongoing litigation.”

Election-law scholars and historians say the effort is political theater and the votes hold no legal weight because they weren’t certified by state officials. Alexander Keyssar, professor of history and social policy at the Harvard Kennedy School, compared the GOP meetings to playing dress up.

“The slate might appear to be valid, but it isn’t being put forth by any governmental or legislative body,” said Mr. Keyssar, who has written books about the Electoral College...

...Several Republican members of Congress have signaled they will support the 11th-hour attempt to undercut Mr. Biden’s victory at Congress’s Jan. 6 joint session, which Vice President Mike Pence oversees. Members of Congress can raise objections to one or more slates of electors. If one representative and one senator object together, both chambers deliberate separately and vote on whether to accept it. The process could happen multiple times until Congress ascertains Mr. Biden has won at least 270 electoral votes, the threshold needed to win.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61226 on: December 28, 2020, 05:56:37 PM »

I hate censorship. Especially the seriously wrong-headed kind like this:

A sustained effort is under way to deny children access to literature. Under the slogan #DisruptTexts, critical-theory ideologues, schoolteachers and Twitter agitators are purging and propagandizing against classic texts—everything from Homer to F. Scott Fitzgerald to Dr. Seuss.

Their ethos holds that children shouldn’t have to read stories written in anything other than the present-day vernacular—especially those “in which racism, sexism, ableism, anti-Semitism, and other forms of hate are the norm,” as young-adult novelist Padma Venkatraman writes in School Library Journal. No author is valuable enough to spare, Ms. Venkatraman instructs: “Absolving Shakespeare of responsibility by mentioning that he lived at a time when hate-ridden sentiments prevailed, risks sending a subliminal message that academic excellence outweighs hateful rhetoric.”

The subtle complexities of literature are being reduced to the crude clanking of “intersectional” power struggles. Thus Seattle English teacher Evin Shinn tweeted in 2018 that he’d “rather die” than teach “The Scarlet Letter,” unless Nathaniel Hawthorne’s novel is used to “fight against misogyny and slut-shaming.”

Outsiders got a glimpse of the intensity of the #DisruptTexts campaign recently when self-described “antiracist teacher” Lorena Germán complained that many classics were written more than 70 years ago: “Think of US society before then & the values that shaped this nation afterwards. THAT is what is in those books.”

Jessica Cluess, an author of young-adult fiction, shot back: “If you think Hawthorne was on the side of the judgmental Puritans . . . then you are an absolute idiot and should not have the title of educator in your twitter bio.”

An online horde descended, accused Ms. Cluess of racism and “violence,” and demanded that Penguin Random House cancel her contract. The publisher hasn’t complied, perhaps because Ms. Cluess tweeted a ritual self-denunciation: “I take full responsibility for my unprovoked anger toward Lorena Germán. . . . I am committed to learning more about Ms. Germán’s important work with #DisruptTexts. . . . I will strive to do better.” That didn’t stop Ms. Cluess’s literary agent, Brooks Sherman, from denouncing her “racist and unacceptable” opinions and terminating their professional relationship.

The demands for censorship appear to be getting results. “Be like Odysseus and embrace the long haul to liberation (and then take the Odyssey out of your curriculum because it’s trash),” tweeted Shea Martin in June. “Hahaha,” replied Heather Levine, an English teacher at Lawrence (Mass.) High School. “Very proud to say we got the Odyssey removed from the curriculum this year!” When I contacted Ms. Levine to confirm this, she replied that she found the inquiry “invasive.” The English Department chairman of Lawrence Public Schools, Richard Gorham, didn’t respond to emails.

“It’s a tragedy that this anti-intellectual movement of canceling the classics is gaining traction among educators and the mainstream publishing industry,” says science-fiction writer Jon Del Arroz, one of the rare industry voices to defend Ms. Cluess. “Erasing the history of great works only limits the ability of children to become literate.”

He’s right. If there is harm in classic literature, it comes from not teaching it. Students excused from reading foundational texts may imagine themselves lucky to get away with YA novels instead—that’s what the #DisruptTexts people want—but compared with their better-educated peers they will suffer a poverty of language and cultural reference. Worse, they won’t even know it.

Mrs. Gurdon writes the Wall Street Journal’s Children’s Books column.

The left is not right on this one.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61227 on: December 28, 2020, 06:35:54 PM »

We got the stronger chicks

https://www.newsmax.com/politics/stefanik-pelosi-speaker-house/2020/12/28/id/1003356/?oRef=vuukle

They look that way compared to your dudes who are all spineless bitches.

Red counts the pocket change from any guy he sucks off as unemployment benefits. That hasn’t been cut off for him because he has such a pretty mouth. He doesn’t see a problem in trumps fuckups because his street walking revenue is his chief barometer for the health of the economy.

Red is basically Larry Kudlow with saggier tits.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61228 on: December 28, 2020, 06:41:59 PM »

I saw on television where a lady bought a house in Italy and then she made a television show about remodeling the home, etc. I could buy a vineyard and winery in Italy and make a television show out of it, and I could open a night club in Rome, etc, I could put the music students on television (I want the music students from The Saint Louis College of Music to jam at my club, and I want for the music students to use my club as a hang out), and I could open an office at Cinecitta to make "The Count of Monte Cristo." There is a lot of stuff that I could do, and we could film it all for one of the television stations, maybe A&E or something.

Here is a vineyard and winery for sale in Tuscany, making Chianti wine, with the option of buying more land to make more wine. I want to own a vineyard and winery in Tuscany, and this is the type of thing I would be interested in doing.

https://youtu.be/rFrfAV_F2es

It would take a lot of workers to run and maintain such a venture, but I can get workers from the Philippines. The Filipinos love Italy. I could hire Filipinos to help me.

I could film the whole process and show it on a television channel. Then I can use the money from the show to help to buy the real estate and to open the night club etc. Plus, the audience from the television show would eagerly be awaiting "The Count of Monte Cristo."

Just a few thoughts.

Salute,

Tony V.
Under the.Tuscan Sun. But I suspect Diane Lane is more cinematically photogenic than you are.
"Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality your abundance at the present time should supply their needs, so that their abundance may also supply your needs, that there may be equality."

2 Corinthians 8:13-14

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61229 on: December 28, 2020, 06:42:55 PM »

The House has passed the $2000 with a greater than 2/3rds vote.

They are voting now on the override of the President's veto - 83 86 89 GOP Representatives have already voted for the override, which looks like it will easily pass its required 2/3rds, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 4080 4081 [4082] 4083 4084 ... 4288