Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4145 4146 [4147] 4148 4149 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1867908 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #62190 on: January 08, 2021, 11:30:45 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump/index.html

Ted Cruz said something truly remarkable -- like, truly -- in an interview with a Houston TV station on Thursday.

"The President's language and rhetoric often goes too far," the Texas senator said straight-facedly. "I think, yesterday in particular, the President's language and rhetoric crossed the line and it was reckless. I disagree with it, and I have disagreed with the President's language and rhetoric for the last four years."

Yup! You read that right. The Texas Republican senator, who not only has stood by Trump through thick and thin over the past few years but also was one of a handful of senators who voted to object to the Electoral College results following a riot at the US Capitol on Wednesday, actually uttered these words, "I disagree with it, and I have disagreed with the President's language and rhetoric for the last four years."

It would be sort of funny -- in a get-a-load-of-this-guy way -- if it wasn't so incredibly disingenuous.

Cruz has spent the last four years sucking up to Trump in any way he can think of.
Cruz volunteered to be the lead lawyer in the ridiculousness attempt by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton to throw out votes in other states if the case was heard by the Supreme Court. (The court rejected the case out-of-hand.)

Cruz ran point on the Senate impeachment trial to ensure Trump was acquitted. As The Washington Post's Mike DeBonis wrote in January 2020 of the Texas Republican:
"Working inside the Senate and out, Cruz played a unique role in securing President Trump's swift acquittal at the third-ever presidential impeachment trial — simultaneously serving as legal strategist, jury consultant, messaging guru, broadcast surrogate and, unexpectedly, a breakout podcasting star."

"God bless Texas, and God bless President Donald Trump," Cruz said at a massive October 2018 rally attended by Trump, who was lending a hand to the Texas senator in his surprisingly competitive race against former Rep. Beto O'Rourke. (Cruz won.)
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #62192 on: January 08, 2021, 11:33:17 AM »

Here's a good analysis of how Wednesday riot was put together.

https://www.npr.org/sections/congress-electoral-college-tally-live-updates/2021/01/07/954671745/on-far-right-websites-plans-to-storm-capitol-were-made-in-plain-sight

As one expert observed,  the choice to stay home by counterprotestor groups may have meant that the Trump mob didn't have those groups to unleash their violence on in street battles,  so when Trump told them to head for the Capitol "the levee broke... "

JOSH -- I pm'd you yesterday.  Are we cool?   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62193 on: January 08, 2021, 11:42:58 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/ted-cruz-donald-trump/index.html

Ted Cruz said something truly remarkable -- like, truly -- in an interview with a Houston TV station on Thursday.

"The President's language and rhetoric often goes too far," the Texas senator said straight-facedly. "I think, yesterday in particular, the President's language and rhetoric crossed the line and it was reckless. I disagree with it, and I have disagreed with the President's language and rhetoric for the last four years."

Yup! You read that right. The Texas Republican senator, who not only has stood by Trump through thick and thin over the past few years but also was one of a handful of senators who voted to object to the Electoral College results following a riot at the US Capitol on Wednesday, actually uttered these words, "I disagree with it, and I have disagreed with the President's language and rhetoric for the last four years."

It would be sort of funny -- in a get-a-load-of-this-guy way -- if it wasn't so incredibly disingenuous.

Cruz has spent the last four years sucking up to Trump in any way he can think of.
Cruz volunteered to be the lead lawyer in the ridiculousness attempt by Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton to throw out votes in other states if the case was heard by the Supreme Court. (The court rejected the case out-of-hand.)

Cruz ran point on the Senate impeachment trial to ensure Trump was acquitted. As The Washington Post's Mike DeBonis wrote in January 2020 of the Texas Republican:
"Working inside the Senate and out, Cruz played a unique role in securing President Trump's swift acquittal at the third-ever presidential impeachment trial — simultaneously serving as legal strategist, jury consultant, messaging guru, broadcast surrogate and, unexpectedly, a breakout podcasting star."

"God bless Texas, and God bless President Donald Trump," Cruz said at a massive October 2018 rally attended by Trump, who was lending a hand to the Texas senator in his surprisingly competitive race against former Rep. Beto O'Rourke. (Cruz won.)
I am sure Turd Cruz's butt ugly wife and Kennedy killing dad are happy to see him take a stand against Trump's rhetoric. At least, for as long as it is politically expedient for him to do so.
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Did Trump aid and abet murder?
« Reply #62194 on: January 08, 2021, 11:54:40 AM »

From USA Today:
– The death of U.S. Capitol Police Brian Sicknick is being investigated as a homicide by federal and local authorities – a development that raises the stakes of the investigation into possible crimes committed during the violent security breach at the Capitol on Jan. 6.

Sicknick was injured while "physically engaging with protesters" who swarmed the Capitol building, Capitol Police said. He collapsed after returning to his office and was taken to a hospital, where he died Thursday night.

The Metropolitan Police Department's homicide branch, the Capitol Police and the Justice Department are investigating Sicknick's death. Any criminal charges related to Sicknick's death will be federal because the events leading up to it happened on federal property, an official with knowledge of the matter said.

Sicknick joined Capitol Police in July 2008 and was part of the department's First Responder's Unit at the time of his death.

"The entire USCP Department expresses its deepest sympathies to Officer Sicknick’s family and friends on their loss, and mourns the loss of a friend and colleague," the agency said in a statement."

Five people, including Sicknick, died, several officers were injured and dozens were arrested after a swarm of pro-Trump rioters descended on the Capitol. The chaos prompted an hours-long lockdown and disrupted what should've been a largely ceremonial counting of state-certified Electoral College votes.

'Unfathomable': Capitol Police security breakdown prompts chief's resignation

During a call with reporters this week, the top federal prosecutor in Washington, D.C. did not rule out the possibility that actions by President Donald Trump, who encouraged his supporters to go to the Capitol as he continued to falsely claim that the election had been stolen from him, will also be under scrutiny.

LOCK HIM UP!!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62195 on: January 08, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »

Folks have asked, vis-a-vis the vaccinations, what Biden would do differently.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/08/politics/biden-vaccine-strategy/index.html

Note though that this depends on the manufacturing happening fast enough to have 2nd doses available 3 weeks after and right now our manufacturing doesn't seem to be matching the promised production speed that would be needed.

OliveOil

• You were such a super lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62196 on: January 08, 2021, 12:01:08 PM »

Why sleep at home when you can sleep in Congress?

OliveOil

• You were such a super lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62197 on: January 08, 2021, 12:06:21 PM »

I am sure Turd Cruz's butt ugly wife and Kennedy killing dad are happy to see him take a stand against Trump's rhetoric. At least, for as long as it is politically expedient for him to do so.

I recall when he was a primary contender,  and several Washington insiders were sharing that he was the most loathed man in the Senate.   He seems to be that now too familiar combo of all ambition and no brain no decency.
Why sleep at home when you can sleep in Congress?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #62198 on: January 08, 2021, 12:20:00 PM »

I recall when he was a primary contender,  and several Washington insiders were sharing that he was the most loathed man in the Senate.   He seems to be that now too familiar combo of all ambition and no brain no decency.

He has brains and lots of them. That's part of the problem.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #62199 on: January 08, 2021, 12:33:45 PM »

"I like Ted Cruz more than most people. And I hate Ted Cruz."

- Al Franken

- William of Baskerville

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #62200 on: January 08, 2021, 12:38:59 PM »

In other news, Josh Hawley has declared that the cancellation of his book contract by Simon and Schuster was a violation of his First Amendment rights. Looks like Yale Law's reputation is over vastly inflated.

- William of Baskerville

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62201 on: January 08, 2021, 01:01:25 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2021/1/8/2007147/-Two-days-later-that-spontaneous-and-unpredictable-event-seems-exactly-like-a-long-planned-coup

Along with clipping and chipping each and every perpetrator, we have to remove their platforms and permanently monitor all their future communication.

Republicans are building a nazi confederate base for themselves which puts the party squarely in the realm of a terror group. Hunt them like a terror network and give the top crackers the bin Laden  & Breonna Taylor treatment.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #62204 on: January 08, 2021, 01:48:26 PM »

"Here's the thing you have to understand about Ted Cruz, I like Ted Cruz more than most of my other colleagues like Ted Cruz. And I hate Ted Cruz."

Al Franken
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 4145 4146 [4147] 4148 4149 ... 4288