Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583650 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2018, 11:21:21 PM »

Hello Itz ME!

China in South America.]https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/28/world/americas/china-latin-america.html]China in South America.

Obviously this is not a Trump administration based base. The Chinese have been working with certain expectations for years.

But it does illustrate the idea that the US not building trade zones up and down the hemisphere is perhaps the tipping point for the end of the American Influence Era.

Stupid.

(Oh, wait So Josh isn't evvie anymore but is the mod with mod type powers now?)

I am not Evvie any more.

I am not Evvie any less.

The obsession with who is who remains entertaining and silly.

My "mod type powers" are what they were before the prior crash, which is to say that I can edit and delete individual posts, but I cannot warn or delete members, including spammers.

I can create new fora, to a limited extent, and close fora.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

barton

« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2018, 12:27:47 AM »

I miss Evvie and it's ambiguous sexuality, cute habit of calling everyone "Mister, " and the amusing references to an aunt.   And,  of course,  the Josh-like smorgasbord of informative links.   Nothing wrong with a repurposed sock.

I would suggest close the unused forums,  which will just attract spammers.   I mean,  do we really need a separate forum for pets or Latin American writers or theater?  Maybe keep three book forums,  say,,  fiction,  nonfiction and creative writing. 

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 01, 2018, 01:07:03 AM »

I miss Evvie and it's ambiguous sexuality, cute habit of calling everyone "Mister, " and the amusing references to an aunt.   And,  of course,  the Josh-like smorgasbord of informative links.   Nothing wrong with a repurposed sock.

I would suggest close the unused forums,  which will just attract spammers.   I mean,  do we really need a separate forum for pets or Latin American writers or theater?  Maybe keep three book forums,  say,,  fiction,  nonfiction and creative writing.
You axe Meander Where You May and teddy will roll over in her grave, and I do not think she is actually dead.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 01, 2018, 01:38:54 AM »

Ye old 'bambu' is now 'bambu-wisdom'.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 04:01:52 AM by bambu-wisdom »

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 01, 2018, 07:40:44 AM »

Ye old 'bambu' is now 'bambu-wisdom'.

Akin to the term "military intelligence".

I love a good oxymoron. Other morons, not so much.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-guns/u-s-judge-halts-3-d-printed-gun-blueprints-hours-before-planned-release-idUSKBN1KL1SZ

Whew.   Was amused at gun groups logic that the ban was unnecessary because the plastic guns are unreliable.  Begs the question - if so,  then how does the ban hurt their interests?   Wouldn't this strike a blow for quality control they could applaud?   

barton

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2018, 09:42:49 AM »

You axe Meander Where You May and teddy will roll over in her grave, and I do not think she is actually dead.

If the archives are restored,  then yes,  keep all the old book threads.   But it appears those are gone and we just have empty threads.   I wondered if all that data was really gone.   In any case Meander is a good category.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2018, 10:10:34 AM »

To begin with, 80 percent of the children who have crossed over since 2014 are not with parents but are unaccompanied. Only 20 percent come with parents.

LOL. How do these dimwits think this statistic disproves the Trump Administration policy of separating children from parents legally requesting refugee status, and their failure to fully comply with court ordered reunification?

Why do you think they are saying it does?

The title of the piece of garbage you linked to, for a start; "Government data shows the entire "family separation" crisis was built of lies."

And then how it uses that very statistic and others to argue that "the illegals are self-separating from their kids" before shifting to argue that the kids who are left here after being separated will become future gang members.

Illuminating stuff kidcarter8.  Reposting it (twice) saying far more about your deplorable views than shedding any light on the family separation issue.

They lay out the numbers fairly clearly.  Leaves plenty of room for parents separated from their children and having legit angst about it.  Just doesnt describe as high a percentage of the cases as the left would have you believe

"The left" made no claims about percentages from 2014-2016.

Regardless - they paint a picture that every border case is a lost kid situation.  It's a small percentage - and its being done by current law.

Do you expect the border patrol to decide case by case which parent/kid combinations get to enter and stay, no questions asked?  To let everyone in?  What, exactly?

Again - dont throw stones without proper answers.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »

Was amused at gun groups logic that the ban was unnecessary because the plastic guns are unreliable.

Right, and of course we wouldn't expect any improvement in the designs or the technology used to print them at any point in the future.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Itz ME!

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2018, 10:33:47 AM »

You may have seen Cohen give the Pedophile test to Roy Moore. If you haven't,

Here It'z Is]http://www.ebaumsworld.com/videos/sacha-baron-cohen-trolls-roy-moore-with-a-fake-pedophile-detector/85726985/]Here It'z Is

Funny. and well played.

But to me the laugh out loud part is where Roy Moore is agreeing that the history of Alabama is Freedom and equality for all peoples. That is just too funny!

But it does show that the systemic racism is at a level that is subdural. It is like a cotton seed that is deep deep in the soul of the south. They don't even know that it is there.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »

Regardless - they paint a picture that every border case is a lost kid situation. 

No, they didn't. They painted the picture that over 3,000 kids were unwillingly separated from their parents, which is number provided them by the administration.

Do you expect the border patrol to decide case by case which parent/kid combinations get to enter and stay, no questions asked?  To let everyone in?  What, exactly?

They could, I don't know, do what they did before the Trump Administration instituted a zero tolerance policy this spring that they knew full well would result in kids being taken from their parents.  But for Trump the cruelty is the point.  They saw the separation policy as a deterrent. 

That you would argue that they had no choice makes clear that you either aren't following the story, or that you have no interest in discussing this in good faith. 

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2018, 11:12:50 AM »

Off topic, but I drove to the grocery store last night to buy a gallon of milk and got all the way to the checkout when I realized I forgot my ID. So embarrassing.

Needs, they easily could also have tracked the kids and parents through the system, so that it would be easy to reunite families. But they did not do that, because they had no real intention of reuniting them.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2018, 11:17:04 AM »

You need an ID card to buy milk now? 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2018, 11:38:26 AM »

I once got carded for spiked egg-nog, but that was a long time ago.

In other news it seems the Boy King is on the twitter machine again ranting for the 'Bama munchkin AG to end the rigged witch hunt.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2018, 11:58:03 AM »

In other news it seems the Boy King is on the twitter machine again ranting for the 'Bama munchkin AG to end the rigged witch hunt.

Trump’s way of saying he’s tired of pretending to be president and is ready for someone to come along and arrest him now. He’s hoping for a cell mate who uses him roughly like Roy Cohn used to.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 4288