Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1597139 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #390 on: August 09, 2018, 05:19:36 PM »

---Iran crowds reportedly chant 'death to the dictator!' as US sanctions increase economic unrest---

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2018/08/07/iran-crowds-reportedly-chant-death-to-dictator-as-us-sanctions-increase-economic-unrest.html

Now this is truly wonderful news. Like Reagan saying tear down that wall. Stop exporting terrorism and keeping your people locked up in a medieval shithole, Mr. Ayatollah.
Do you realize, Luee, that if the Iranian government were to somehow fall your chum, the always wonderful Assad, is finished too?

Too late for ISIS, so sad for the youths of Islam who left their homes to build a new caliphate, rape females of all species, and kill infidels in novel and horrible ways as written in the book?
?
luee's posts often read like they came from Mad Libs - Hate Edition.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

barton

« Reply #391 on: August 09, 2018, 05:26:48 PM »

Mad Libs,  Hate edition....hehe.   

If Laura Ingraham-Cracker had been living when my ancestors immigrated, she would have viewed them as revolting filth ruining the country.  She needs to spend some time in a country that succeeds in keeping all immigrants out...North Korea perhaps.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:14 PM »

Ah yes...massive, uncapped, illegal and legal 'open borders' immigration...a certain recipe for destroying America as it is today.
Anyone who thinks it isn't needs to have a look around at the rest of the 'Christian West' world.
...slowly being turned into places that don't resemble what they once did.

Many people in America seem to be cheering for the end of the White race, the end of a White-majority America..now, and for America to become 'Mexico'/'Sth America'/'Asia'/'Middle East'/'Africa' instead.
"White privilege" must end they scream.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 09, 2018, 06:50:13 PM »

America as it is today is destroying America as it is today thanks to the policies of white Majority groups now in a shrinking minority.

Bambu-Koolaid, please only suggest ways to fuck up your own country and life. No one else needs your advice or values your opinion
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 09, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »

So NEEDS' point is that because immigration CREATED the country, en masse' immigration should always be accepted - with no real limits whatsoever.

There is, of course, a huge valley between no limits whatsoever, and the position articulated in my post which is current policy plus a reasonable path to citizenship, plus citizen status for DACA recipients.  That is, as I said, the policy that according to polling is supported by a majority in this country.  The policy supported by yourself and the President and toxic asshats like Ingraham is to further reduce legal immigration.  You think this will solve some deep problem facing the country, but you can't say what that is.  Really the problem is yours.  You don't like brown people.

Yes, I am proud to disagree.  But please - no, NEEDS - dont assign every word from the mouths of Ms Ingraham and others to me.

I didn't assign "every word" from Ingraham's mouth to you.  I assigned one very specific quote, which I took the trouble of transcribing into my post.  A few days ago you posted that Trump was "saving the nation" by reducing the number of green cards granted, and putting forward proposals to make it even harder for legal immigrants to be citizens.  That is a position that is indistinguishable from the one Ingraham articulated in that quote.

-->
Cant save the nation - but can help while he is POTUS:

https://twitter.com/marianaatencio/status/1026788730651242496
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:06:42 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 09, 2018, 07:12:35 PM »

It is of course just wrong.  The idea that immigration runs counter to the idea of America is breathtakingly ignorant of the very history of this country.

While this may be true, I do think it's important to add that for a very long time large amounts of Americans have been more in favor immigration as an idea, rather than a policy.

The idea of "America" is what we are talking about.  And whatever the attitudes of some people at any one time, however widespread, policy has on balance supported that idea.

For those in the FOX bubble, "America" is wherever they and theirs reside and can harbor white nationalist ideals without their being challenged by daily interactions with brown folk.  Nothing about that is American, in fact it isn't a definition of any country's idea at all.  Any Right-wing white nationalist could make that same argument, in any country they happen to be from. 
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 09, 2018, 07:21:50 PM »

Support of that "idea" has never been that widespread except for small durations of time. And anti-immigrant Americans have historically been on both ends of the so-called political spectrum. It's possible to call Kid a racist fool and acknowledge this fact at the same time.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 09, 2018, 07:26:58 PM »

So NEEDS' point is that because immigration CREATED the country, en masse' immigration should always be accepted - with no real limits whatsoever.

There is, of course, a huge valley between no limits whatsoever, and the position articulated in my post which is current policy plus a reasonable path to citizenship, plus citizen status for DACA recipients.  That is, as I said, the policy that according to polling is supported by a majority in this country. 

First off - "the majority of the country" tally doesnt matter on issues - the current controlling party gets to dictate.

If we all voted on everything the nation would be more of a mess

As for your description of your current stance - happy to hear you recommend the Guatemalans, Mexicans, etc trying to illegally enter our nation at the souithern border be turned away -

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 09, 2018, 07:27:53 PM »

Maybe White nationalists in America look at Africa, India, China/Asia, Middle East, Mexico and Sth America...today...and don't want their country to end up like these places.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 09, 2018, 07:29:03 PM »

Support of that "idea" has never been that widespread except for small durations of time. And anti-immigrant Americans have historically been on both ends of the so-called political spectrum. It's possible to call Kid a racist fool and acknowledge this fact at the same time.

Acknowledge a “fact” that is so vaguely defined and in reality easily disputed?

Support for that “idea” has never been widespread...except now?  When (for the third time) Americans support DACA and a path to citizenship?

America may no longer distinguish itself from other advanced countries on policy, but that “idea” and the culture of this country is unique in its acceptance and integration of immigrants. I think that’s a “fact” and don’t think I need to also argue that there has never been widespread racism, or xenophobia in the US to say it.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 09, 2018, 07:32:17 PM »

My initial statement was that American's idea of embracing immigrants has long been more of an idea than a practice. That's it.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 09, 2018, 07:37:50 PM »

There is, of course, a huge valley between no limits whatsoever, and the position articulated in my post which is current policy plus a reasonable path to citizenship, plus citizen status for DACA recipients.  That is, as I said, the policy that according to polling is supported by a majority in this country. 

First off - "the majority of the country" tally doesnt matter on issues - the current controlling party gets to dictate.

If we all voted on everything the nation would be more of a mess

My point is that a majority of Americans disagree with Ingraham and your idea of what “America” is. I don’t expect that to give you pause.

And current immigration policy is being dictated by a handful of hard righters in the House, a senate leader who won’t bring DACA for a vote because it would pass and he wants to hold it hostage, and a President who lost the election by 3 million votes.  No we don’t vote on everything. But when we do vote, it should matter.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 09, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »

My initial statement was that American's idea of embracing immigrants has long been more of an idea than a practice. That's it.

And my response is that it’s unsupported and vague cynicism that really isn’t relevant to the conversation, even if that were true.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 09, 2018, 07:49:11 PM »

Historical research will show my statement to be neither cynical
nor inaccurate. But no need to pursue the matter further.

It kills me that Kid and Bambu focus on the issue of crossing the border "illegally" as a sin that renders all meaningful discussion on the matter impossible. I suggest both of our leading bigots look up the difference between crimes that are mala prohibita and those that are mala in se.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 09, 2018, 07:53:57 PM »

If it is such a terrible country why are peoples of other countries swarming to enter? We are no longer an agrarian, mining society as in the 19th to mid 20th centuries. The US needs illegal immigrants like Puerto Rico needs more hurricanes.

---ISRAEL-SYRIA BORDER –  Syria’s official news agency says the government is deploying ground troops preparing to launch an attack against ISIS forces in Suwayda Province in the southeastern portion of the country.

According to local media reports, ISIS has been eradicated from most parts of southern Syria and is operating from a small sliver of territory. Earlier this week, the Syrian military launched air strikes targeting remaining ISIS forces.

Last month, ISIS in what appears to be an act of desperation, killed more than 200 civilians and abducted more than two dozen mostly women and children from Suwayda. The attack is considered the deadliest in the predominantly government held province. Most of the victims are Druze, a minority group of about 700,000.---
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 4288