Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1585062 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3270 on: September 25, 2018, 07:02:28 PM »

What is the FBI supposed to investigate?

An alleged sexual assault.

Have you not heard?  It’s been kind of in the news a lot lately.

I take his point,  though.   If Red means,  how can one find evidence of an encounter that happened 36  years ago and where no one sought medical treatment or otherwise made any report?   Especially when details seem conflicting.  TbH,  that's why I find the Renate thing more telling, it's on paper and we know the exact source.   Not that Ms Ford should not seek justice,  but it's hard for me to see how it gets beyond the word of a possible drunk and the word of someone who claimed to have one beer.   Truth finding requires more than people just asserting their alcohol levels 36.years ago and not able to remember key details like location.
The larger point though is the FBI is not charged with investigating alleged crimes that do not involve federal laws.  The “ Renate Thing” has been public knowledge for the same period of time and yet never showed up in any of the previous 6 FBI background checks done for Kavanaugh.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: September 25, 2018, 07:03:04 PM »

'Trump laughed at at the UN'

LOL

See any of those laughing bozos actually doing anything to stop China, Russia, Iran, Nth Korea etc?
And stop China from trading the USA into poverty.

"Buy American...buy you and your kids a job"!

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: September 25, 2018, 07:14:45 PM »

News Item —Wall Street Journal

By Harriet Torry
Updated Sept. 25, 2018 6:53 p.m. ET
Consumer confidence hit an 18-year high in September, a positive indicator for spending going into the holiday shopping season, as robust job growth and a strong economic outlook bolstered Americans’ expectations for the future.

The Conference Board, a private research group, said Tuesday its index of consumer confidence rose to 138.4, up from 134.7 in August—the highest level since September 2000, which represented the late stages of the 1990s technology boom. An index reading of 100 represents how households saw the economy in 1985.

The report came on the heels of a separate University of Michigan survey that said sentiment jumped in early September to the second-highest level since 2004—behind only the reading in March of this year.

Economists have voiced concerns about trade and tariffs as risks to economic growth over the next 12 months. For consumers, however, the issue isn’t registering.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: September 25, 2018, 07:19:43 PM »

I take his point,  though.   If Red means,  how can one find evidence of an encounter that happened 36  years ago and where no one sought medical treatment or otherwise made any report?   Especially when details seem conflicting.  TbH,  that's why I find the Renate thing more telling, it's on paper and we know the exact source.   Not that Ms Ford should not seek justice,  but it's hard for me to see how it gets beyond the word of a possible drunk and the word of someone who claimed to have one beer.   Truth finding requires more than people just asserting their alcohol levels 36.years ago and not able to remember key details like location.
The larger point though is the FBI is not charged with investigating alleged crimes that do not involve federal laws.  The “ Renate Thing” has been public knowledge for the same period of time and yet never showed up in any of the previous 6 FBI background checks done for Kavanaugh.
They would not be investigating a crime, they would be conducting a back ground check on a SCOTUS nominee, which the FBI does routinely. I realize you are being purposefully obtuse.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 07:33:02 PM by whiskeypriest »
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3274 on: September 25, 2018, 07:27:05 PM »

An extension of the standard background check for nominees to include relevant information recently brought to light.

This is a job interview, not a court of law.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: September 25, 2018, 07:35:10 PM »

Red's not being obtuse. He's trying to mislead and distract.

The real issue to Red is to get BK his front-row SC seat. 

Whether BK's a belligerent drunk, a liar, and a sexual predator, seems secondary to the majority party and has taken a back seat to what should be the search for truth.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:08:59 PM by bankshot1 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3276 on: September 25, 2018, 07:35:53 PM »

They would not be investigating a crime, they would be conducting a back ground check on a SCOTUS nominee, which the FBI does routinely. I realize you are being purposefully obtuse.
There is no crime to investigate. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: September 25, 2018, 07:42:52 PM »

An extension of the standard background check for nominees to include relevant information recently brought to light.

LOL
This is not a job interview no matter how many times Vox says it is.
This is a Constitional procedure to fill a vacancy in a Branch of our Government with specific Constitutional rules to follow. The bottom line is the investigative role in the procedure falls to the Senate.  Certainly not to the FBI unless you are ignorant of the principle of separation of powers.

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3278 on: September 25, 2018, 07:48:57 PM »

Well, no, but no crime for.the FBI to investigate. WHICH IS IRRELEVANT SINCE THEY WOULD BE CONDUCTING A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION NOT A CRIMINAL ONE.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3279 on: September 25, 2018, 07:53:47 PM »

Well, no, but no crime for.the FBI to investigate. WHICH IS IRRELEVANT SINCE THEY WOULD BE CONDUCTING A BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION NOT A CRIMINAL ONE.
Thanks. The fact you had to yell does not change your irrational opinion.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3280 on: September 25, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »

It is not a criminal investigation it is a background check. You have no idea what was unearthed in the previous six background checks as the Senate is withholding massive amounts of information and the only thing you know is what the GOP Senate says.

As far as the “Renate Thing” I understand she found out about this along with the rest of us, (no, I did not look up anything to link to) and she rescinded her signature from the letter of support they had. Imagine finding out all these years later what the entire Prep community thought of you. What your FRIENDS had said about her all those years ago?

Yeah, what a bunch of swells.

Masters of the Universe.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:24:10 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3281 on: September 25, 2018, 08:22:41 PM »

LOL
This is a Constitional procedure to fill a vacancy in a Branch of our Government with specific Constitutional rules to follow. The bottom line is the investigative role in the procedure falls to the Senate.  Certainly not to the FBI unless you are ignorant of the principle of separation of powers.

Then why do you keep touting six previous background checks?

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: September 25, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »

LOL

LOL.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #3283 on: September 25, 2018, 08:31:51 PM »

LOL

LOL.

Thank you! Thank you! Don’t forget it is all about love! Remember that. Im here all week so please remember to tip your veal and enjoy your servers!

SFX: Wild applause.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: September 25, 2018, 08:42:45 PM »

LOL

LOL.

Thank you! Thank you! Don’t forget it is all about love! Remember that. Im here all week so please remember to tip your veal and enjoy your servers!

SFX: Wild applause.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2018/09/25/doh-democrat-joe-biden-explains-irrelevance-of-fbi-investigations-within-scotus-nomination-process/

Good ‘ Ole Joe.
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 4288