Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994720 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #5100 on: October 29, 2018, 02:20:11 PM »

In 2010 Republicans were marching in the streets with AR-15s at their shoulder to protest Americans getting healthcare, but kidcarter8 is really concerned that anger at Trump is getting the best of Democrats...

Truly LOL.
In 2010 the democrats were walking the figurative plank of a healthcare plan that was built on lies. They have yet to recover.

Built on lies...so it hasn't added Millions to the healthcare rolls in part by covering Americans with preexisting conditions?  And surely, if it was all lies the ACA would be unpopular, yes?  Instead of its repeal going down after poling in the low 30s?

Politically, Democrats have recovered.  Their running on the ACA while Republicans run away from their attempts to repeal it are pretty obvious indication of that.
But Obama gave an incomplete description of the law's grandfather clause! Makes the whole thing a house of cards!

When all he can do is dig up 8 year old talking points to go up against a law that has done exactly what it was supposed to and has survived almost two years (and counting) of a concerted GOP effort to sabotage it, he makes my point for me.

But REDSTATEWARD's attempt to hijack the discussion is working, so I'm going to steer it back...Whatever you think of the ACA, the GOP response to that law was ANGER(!) Marching with rifles, shouting at town halls, elected Republicans perched on balconies shouting and waving signs, followed by what will surpass a decade of lawsuits designed to kneecap it.

Anger and fear is such an effective motivator for conservatives that the GOP was looking for its next boogeyman to rile up the base for the mid-terms.  Enter the CARAVAN(!)
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #5101 on: October 29, 2018, 02:27:04 PM »

Sorry to curse, but these fucking people are the worst.  Jews killed in a horrid anti-semitic attack and here is a white Christian who can't help make the attack about her, chalking it up to "Anti-religiosity"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/29/politics/kellyanne-conway-anti-religiosity-fox-news/index.html

It wasn't anti-religious. It was Anti-semitic, you...
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5102 on: October 29, 2018, 02:28:49 PM »

In 2010 Republicans were marching in the streets with AR-15s at their shoulder to protest Americans getting healthcare, but kidcarter8 is really concerned that anger at Trump is getting the best of Democrats...

Truly LOL.
In 2010 the democrats were walking the figurative plank of a healthcare plan that was built on lies. They have yet to recover.

And now the GOP after casting nearly a hundred votes over the last nine years to repeal Obamacare “by root and branch” now say they are for protecting Obamacare and for FORCING insurance companies to cover preexisting conditions when their names are on a law suit specifically aimed at stripping those very protections out of the ACA.

I told many of you during the debate once people get a program like social security or Medicare they are loath to give it back and woe to the politicians who try take such programs away.

“They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #5103 on: October 29, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »

Sorry to curse, but these fucking people are the worst.  Jews killed in a horrid anti-semitic attack and here is a white Christian who can't help make the attack about her, chalking it up to "Anti-religiosity"

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/29/politics/kellyanne-conway-anti-religiosity-fox-news/index.html

The Trump enablers don’t care about anything except using Trump to fleece the nation. Trump doesn’t care about anyth8ng except Trump.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: October 29, 2018, 02:38:58 PM »

Bambu, you think that you have it hard as a white, Christian man, just imagine how hard it would be to be Jewish. Here is a post that Paul Stanley of KISS put on Facebook four hours ago...

-------

Paul Stanley
4 hrs ·
I grew up in a household in which my mother as a young girl fled Berlin with her parents to escape the Holocaust that loomed. They later fled Amsterdam for the same reason and with effort, luck and I believe the grace of God, came to America to pursue the dream this country offered. My dad is a first generation American Jew whose parents emigrated from Poland. My early remembrances as a child were of my parents friends with numbers tattooed on their arms who bore witness to atrocities that 6 million others would never be able to speak of. Mothers, fathers, children and infants all tortured and systematically murdered for their proud heritage and choice of worship. Shockingly, I have met holocaust deniers over the years who either find the magnitude of persecution of Jews over centuries incomprehensible or would rather because of some twisted agenda choose to minimize or rationalize it. Say what you will but now is a time for us all to put aside divisive, hate filled rhetoric on all sides and realize that we will all reap what we all sow. My heart goes out to all the innocent victims of not only this slaughter in Pittsburgh but of all hate filled crimes against the innocent everywhere. We are now in a frightening and dangerous time for society. But there is always hope in realization. We all have power. We created this. We must end it. All of us.

---------------------

When I was a kid, KISS was my favorite band, and all of these years later I still love them, and I respect them.

Paul is Jewish, and Gene is Jewish too, he was born in Israel. I am not sure about Ace and Peter.

KISS rose to the very top of the music business, and once they hit the top they stayed there. They are still selling out arenas around the world.

I agree with Paul, we have it within us to create a better world where no one is persecuted in the USA because of religion, or race, or anything.

We have equality in our laws, we need to practice equality in our lives.

We have the Civil Rights Act of 1964 which guarantees equal opportunity for employment, and we have the Civil Rights Act of 1968 which guarantees equal opportunity on housing. So we already have that covered. People need to know that they have rights, and people need to stand up and fight for the rights which people already have. And for instance, when they ask for your race on a job application, you do not have to fill that out, it violates the Civil Rights Act of 1964. The same with housing, you do not need to list your race on a housing application, as it violates the Civil Rights Act of 1968. And of course from the very beginning we declared that all men are created equal in our Declaration of Independence.

People need to stand up and fight for the rights that we already have. And we need to treat people equally in law as well as in practice.

And "stop and frisk" by police officers is unconstitutional, and police searching your car for no reason is unconstitutional, and cops checking your identification to see if you are a legal citizen is unconstitutional, etc. We need to stand up and fight for the rights that we already have. You cannot stop someone because they speak Spanish and have brown skin, and check them for papers, which they are doing on the Greyhound buses, they are not allowed to do that, just like with a limousine, they cannot board the bus without a warrant. We need equality in law and in practice.

I support equality for women, and for all people, and we already have that, we just need to stand up and fight for what we already have. And we must treat each other equally in law and in practice, so let it be written, so let it be done.

And I support equal pay for equal work, we need to make that happen.

Like Paul said, we have the power.

Salute,

Tony V.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5105 on: October 29, 2018, 03:44:07 PM »

Tony,

I refuse to allow myself to be hated, persecuted and discriminated against in society today without objection, protest and fight-back because of what the Nazis did decades ago.

Some tenants destroy the properties owners are forced to rent to them. Filth, vandalism etc, I've seen owners on my tv crying as they survey the damage caused to their lovely properties by the tenants.
An owner should have rights too...the right to deny rental to anyone they don't approve of.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 03:45:55 PM by bambu-wisdom »

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5106 on: October 29, 2018, 03:47:46 PM »

Tony,

I refuse to allow myself to be hated, persecuted and discriminated against in society today without objection, protest and fight-back because of what the Nazis did decades ago.

Some tenants destroy the properties owners are forced to rent to them. Filth, vandalism etc, I've seen owners on my tv crying as they survey the damage caused to their lovely properties by the tenants.
An owner should have rights too...the right to deny rental to anyone they don't approve of.
No one hates you. Th3y laugh at you and they pity you. Not hate.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: October 29, 2018, 03:55:17 PM »

Gallup has the sad orange groper back down to 40% approve to 54% disapprove. At this rate, with his continued strong performance, he should be right around 35% to 60% by Election Day. It’s time to redouble the pushto take the Senate.

Republican leadership needs a serious look from a Democratic ethics committee so they can be reminded what their jobs actually are on their way to being removed.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: October 29, 2018, 03:59:11 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/angela-merkel-the-wests-most-enduring-leader-has-run-out-of-time/ar-BBP3paE?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Part of the reason for Merkel’s decline is continuing disquiet over her refugee policy – the moment in 2015 where she changed the rules and took in a million asylum seekers.

#####

Trump will be finished too if he lets in the asylum-seekers/economic immigrants [call them what you will] in the caravan from Central America.

barton

« Reply #5109 on: October 29, 2018, 04:05:24 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kellyanne-conway-apos-husband-george-181308183.html

Strange bedfellows.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: October 29, 2018, 04:09:41 PM »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/el-salvador-migrants-join-usbound-caravan/news-story/f9d57b4f7c69b1dcc59a5055de82ef6d

Migrants break fence, stream into Mexico

Thousands of migrants, most of them Hondurans, have poured across the border into Mexican territory after breaking through the metal fence separating Guatemala and Mexico amid clashes with police.

Guatemalan riot police fired tear gas at the migrants who, in desperation to continue their northward trek toward the US border, responded by hurling stones and sticks.

"Let's go to Mexico," shouted the migrants in the group as they headed for the Mexican customs office, where a heavy police presence initially prevented them from crossing the bridge or the river separating the two countries.

Meanwhile, this second caravan of about 1500 people is moving through Guatemala in several groups.

Finally, in a caravan apparently organised via the social networks, some 150 Salvadorans, including women and children, on Sunday began heading northwards toward the US looking for better living conditions, just like the other groups.

#####

Well there you go.
Interesting times ahead...tear gas and metal fences don't stop them.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 04:12:17 PM by bambu-wisdom »

barton

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: October 29, 2018, 04:12:26 PM »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/breaking-news/el-salvador-migrants-join-usbound-caravan/news-story/f9d57b4f7c69b1dcc59a5055de82ef6d

Migrants break fence, stream into Mexico

Thousands of migrants, most of them Hondurans, have poured across the border into Mexican territory after breaking through the metal fence separating Guatemala and Mexico amid clashes with police.

Guatemalan riot police fired tear gas at the migrants who, in desperation to continue their northward trek toward the US border, responded by hurling stones and sticks.

"Let's go to Mexico," shouted the migrants in the group as they headed for the Mexican customs office, where a heavy police presence initially prevented them from crossing the bridge or the river separating the two countries.

Meanwhile, this second caravan of about 1500 people is moving through Guatemala in several groups.

Finally, in a caravan apparently organised via the social networks, some 150 Salvadorans, including women and children, on Sunday began heading northwards toward the US looking for better living conditions, just like the other groups.

#####

Well there you go.
Interesting times ahead...tear gas doesn't stop them.
They're mutants!!!!! Head for the nearest Australian basement!!!!!!!
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5113 on: October 29, 2018, 04:19:29 PM »

I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: October 29, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/world/trump-a-purveyor-of-hate-speech-and-not-welcome-in-pittsburgh-says-synagogue-leader/ar-BBP4Opk?li=AAgfIYZ&OCID=AVRES000

Trump a 'purveyor of hate speech' and not welcome in Pittsburgh, says synagogue leader

The comments followed an open letter signed by a coalition of local Jewish leaders and published by the Pittsburgh chapter of Bend The Arc, a progressive advocacy group, that also called for the president to avoid the city.

“President Trump, you are not welcome in Pittsburgh until you fully denounce white nationalism,” the letter states.

#####

Oh dear.
Pages: 1 ... 339 340 [341] 342 343 ... 4288