Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1702278 times)

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #13335 on: May 02, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »

https://en-volve.com/2019/05/01/watch-lindsey-graham-squashes-mazie-hironos-slanderous-rant-against-ag-barr/
Yeah, that whirling sound is John McCain spinning in his grave. To save his ass from being primaried Graham has sold that worthless excuse for his political soul to a huckster con man for pennies on the dollar.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13336 on: May 02, 2019, 12:29:11 PM »

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/05/02/so-what-if-barr-wont-testify-today-weve-already-seen-all-we-need-to-see/

Yes, agreed

The report is public, after all.

Good to see them generating so much cash from its sale

heh

The FACT the AG lied to Congress is just not a big deal, huh?

Gotcha tactics - its all you guys have.....

Sad what has happened to your party.

Gotcha tactics...

The Attorney General lied, saying that he was unaware of the nature of any objections from Mueller's team to his "summary" letter when he had in his possession for over a week a letter that outlined what those objections were.

He was covering up the cover-up, trying to keep that letter, and Mueller's view of how the DOJ had painted his conclusions, a secret.

That isn't a "gotcha" its fundamental to how Congress moves forward with its evaluation of the possible crimes outlined in the Mueller Report.

And fundamental to understanding Barr's fitness for overseeing the 14 ongoing criminal referrals that came out of that report.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:33:45 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13337 on: May 02, 2019, 12:32:26 PM »

WASHINGTON—U.S. workers’ efficiency improved during the past year at the best pace in nearly a decade, laying groundwork for stronger wage growth and continued economic expansion.

Wall Street Journal bullshit.  There is no natural connection between productivity and wage growth. Worker productivity has been on the rise for decades, accompanied by a slowing of wage growth that had been unprecedented before 1980.

Should wages be anchored to productivity?  Absolutely.  But funny how when proposals are made to try to do that, the WSJ is against them.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13338 on: May 02, 2019, 12:36:24 PM »

The lies -

"Barr will make sure they do not release the report"

"Barr will not alllow much of the report to be seen"

In fact it WAS released - and about 92% is available.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13339 on: May 02, 2019, 12:37:34 PM »

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2019/05/02/so-what-if-barr-wont-testify-today-weve-already-seen-all-we-need-to-see/

Yes, agreed

heh

What was the lie?

Only a few years after the "Tarmac Episode" Conservatives are suddenly ok with the politicization of the attorney general, and his acting like the President's personal lawyer.

Huh.  Wonder what changed.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13340 on: May 02, 2019, 12:39:40 PM »

The lies -

"Barr will make sure they do not release the report"

"Barr will not alllow much of the report to be seen"

Where any of the commentators who made those declarations (the few who may not be made of straw) in a position to know this as fact and testifying in front of Congress at the time they said this?

(I'm skipping over the explanation to kiidcarter8 of what a "lie" is...)

barton

« Reply #13341 on: May 02, 2019, 12:41:44 PM »

Kid, I'm not claiming to be a legal expert, but I don't think pointing out perjury on the part of the AG of the US is really what's meant by a "gotcha tactic." 

Try to keep this in mind, however strongly you hold a belief about something:  when high officials in the federal government lie, they are lying to you.  Lying, even if it's from a partisan source you have some allegiance to, is still lying.  Seriously, ask yourself how you feel when people in your everyday life lie to you.  Do you like it?  Do they seem like they are good friends to you when they attempt to deceive you?  Do you continue to feel trust for them and keep the same estimation of their opinions? 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13342 on: May 02, 2019, 12:43:32 PM »

Try to keep this in mind, however strongly you hold a belief about something:  when high officials in the federal government lie, they are lying to you.  Lying, even if it's from a partisan source you have some allegiance to, is still lying.  Seriously, ask yourself how you feel when people in your everyday life lie to you.  Do you like it?  Do they seem like they are good friends to you when they attempt to deceive you?  Do you continue to feel trust for them and keep the same estimation of their opinions?

I think we've established that, by definition, Trumpists don't care about being lied to. When its in the service of Trump.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 12:47:35 PM by NeedsAdjustments »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13343 on: May 02, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »

Very very small potatoes

But rock on.

oilcan

« Reply #13344 on: May 02, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »

Funny we didn't hear any complaints from Kid when House Republicans chose to hold AG Eric Holder in contempt, in 2012, for failing to turn over internal Justice Department documents.  I don't think the Carter lad uttered "gotcha tactics" even once.  Or then described the GOP at that time as "sad."  If he did, and I missed it (being only an occasional lurker in those times), then pardon my ill-informed observation. 

This all underscores for me something I read in a psychological study about beliefs.  There's an effect where, when you strongly challenge someone's belief with contrary evidence, they actually cling to that belief more strongly.  The recent phenomenon of "the more lies Trump is caught in, the more his base clings to him," might be an example of this. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #13345 on: May 02, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »

It's very easy for you to just say, "well, you defend Trump on everything"

Not so easy to show what the big deal is with these hearings.

Barr was unflappable yesterday - and for today said, Screw you guys, you got a day out of me with your circus - I have work to do.

The report is out.

We move on, thankfully.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #13346 on: May 02, 2019, 01:16:44 PM »

Barr was unflappable yesterday - and for today said, Screw you guys, you got a day out of me with your circus - I have work to do.

The report is out.

We move on, thankfully.
Who's "we"?
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #13347 on: May 02, 2019, 01:19:04 PM »

Yes, agreed

heh

Gotcha tactics...

The Attorney General lied, saying that he was unaware of the nature of any objections from Mueller's team to his "summary" letter when he had in his possession for over a week a letter that outlined what those objections were.
You can't be serious.  Barr asked Mueller to review his summary and he refused. Further,r Barr testified that Mueller had no objections to the facts  in the summary, found none inaccurate, which Barr added was also confirmed by Mueller on a phone call.
The problem, again, for the dems is that they have no evidence of any lie by Barr, the same evidence of Collusioin-as in NONE.

The Washington Post survey just found support for impeachment of Trump is at 37%( it was 49% in August). Ditto in the numbers for Independents- 36% against 49% in August.  The Post's poll numbers reflect others by CNN and NPR.
Ludicrous calls by dems for Barr to resign over yesterday's Senate testimony only reflect their disappointment with the Mueller Report.  I imagine Trump is wishing that impeachment talk continues.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 01:21:15 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #13348 on: May 02, 2019, 01:19:53 PM »

Four years ago a single meeting between Lynch and Bill Clinton on an airport tarmac was made such a "big deal" by Republicans that she recused herself from the case, and Republicans were still questioning her about it three years later.

I think it should be obvious why the AG acting as the President's personal lawyer when there is credible evidence that the President has committed crimes is a very big deal.  To a Trumpist, though, naturally that message isn't going to get through.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #13349 on: May 02, 2019, 01:24:54 PM »

Yes, agreed

heh

Gotcha tactics...

You can't be serious.  Barr asked Mueller to review his summary and he refused. Further,r Barr testified that Mueller had no objections to the facts  in the summary, found none inaccurate, which Barr added was also confirmed by Mueller on a phone call.
The problem, again, for the dems is that they have no evidence of any lie by Barr, the same evidence of Collusioin-as in NONE.

The Washington Post survey just found support for impeachment of Trump is at 37%( it was 49% in August). Ditto in the numbers for Independents- 36% against 49% in August.  The Post's poll numbers reflect others by CNN and NPR.
Ludicrous calls by dems for Barr to resign over yesterday's Senate testimony only reflect their disappointment with the Mueller Report.  I imagine Trump is wishing that impeachment talk continues.
Ludicrous!!!!
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 888 889 [890] 891 892 ... 4288