Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584014 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15405 on: June 20, 2019, 09:26:09 AM »

My intellect says Yang.

My practical brain says Warren.

My heart says Booker.  (the affordable housing issue is near to my heart)  Or Harris.

My glands say Gabbard.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15406 on: June 20, 2019, 09:46:42 AM »

It really is mostly about electability.

Always true.  But now we need to come up with a new term: "nominability?".  If this was prior to 1972, the Democratic nomination would be sewn up already.  It would be Biden.  Now, who the hell knows.   
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15407 on: June 20, 2019, 10:13:30 AM »

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:34:17 AM by kiidcarter8 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15408 on: June 20, 2019, 10:25:55 AM »

Always true.  But now we need to come up with a new term: "nominability?".  If this was prior to 1972, the Democratic nomination would be sewn up already.  It would be Biden.  Now, who the hell knows.   
The latest Fox News Poll might shed some light.
Democrats were asked " do you supports a candidate who is Steady and Reliable
or one that
Offers Bold New Programs?
75 % of the democrats  chose Steady and Reliable.
On another question 75% of democrats said they wanted a candidate who will Unite Americans.
not one who would Rail against right wing extremists (25%]
Those numbers could more than offset the bluster of the posters on ubiquitous social media outlets(Elba included).

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 10:28:34 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #15409 on: June 20, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »

My intellect says Yang.

My practical brain says Warren.

My heart says Booker.  (the affordable housing issue is near to my heart)  Or Harris.

My glands say Gabbard.

I think the West Wing scenario could be in play

Dark horse (Santos).....

Perhaps Castro.

Of course Trump is no Arnie Vinick (he'd keep the brief case and use it)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15410 on: June 20, 2019, 11:27:49 AM »

Besides being a Democrat and not Trump, what's the case for Biden? 

All I can come up with is that he was Obama's buddy and isn't as radical as many of the other Dems running.  Is it solely electability (more or less name recognition, at this point)?

But what is the affirmative case for Biden and what he would do?

I do think he has an ability to sell Democratic priorities in a way that doesn't scare off the wealthy class (see recent largely misinterpreted comments to wealthy donors...he was saying taxing money they couldn't otherwise spend on anything will not effect their lifestyle.  Thats what was meant by "nothing will change.")  or scare off working class voters on cultural issues (if only because its coming from an old white guy.)

Saw a poll recently that showed Warren the clear favorite if "electability" was taken out of consideration.  Obviously, after what happened to Hillary and when four more years of Trump would be a disaster for the country, nominating another woman is unfortunately a concern.

Electability?

Yo! Ever hear of a guy named Barack Obama who never got the majority of the white vote?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #15411 on: June 20, 2019, 11:31:40 AM »

Don't see any dark horses in this race.  I do see Castro as someone with positive messaging and crowd-pleasing policy ideas like universal preschool, who could get spotlighted now and then as Iowa's caucus approaches, but I just don't think he'll get a groundswell.  I think we already know who the frontrunners are, and soon there will be attrition as those who were just out to get some name recog for future Senate or governor races or other Party appointments drop out.  Biden I don't take seriously - he's got a filter-less piehole like Trump, and though that would make for some amusing theatrics in the general race, I have to wonder if Americans are a little weary of filter-less pieholes.  The media, of course, love filter-less pieholes.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:02:52 PM by Barton »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15412 on: June 20, 2019, 11:44:44 AM »

I sincerely hope July 4 goes well... but history has shown a different outcome when a holiday is hijacked for partisan purposes.

https://ghostsofdc.org/2019/04/20/its-420-somewhere/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15414 on: June 20, 2019, 03:56:52 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15415 on: June 20, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15417 on: June 20, 2019, 04:05:20 PM »

https://twitter.com/aedwardslevy/status/1141768741203718146?s=21

“President” Trump said in the most recent Time interview that he thinks he doesn’t need to appeal outside of his base, the 40% that support his reelect, to win in 2020.  Outside of that being I think an extremely problematic position for a sitting President to take (“I don’t need to concern myself with 60% of the country I govern”) I’m also pretty sure this is false, born of his living in a bubble of his own internal polling.

Trump’s base almost surely no longer consists of the rust belt working class people who are blue on social spending but red on social issues, as after promising not to cut spending on social welfare programs and raise taxes on the wealthy, as “President” he has done the opposite.  Even if you voted for him because Immigration is your top concern, what has he done to actually address this signature issue of his outside of shutting down the government so that he can fail to build a wall?

In 2016 he got to 46% by tricking some Americans into thinking he wasn’t a typical Republican.  Aside from proving that yes he is completely unqualified and ill-suited for the job, he’s also shown that particular part of his sales pitch to be a lie.  And without that broadening of his base of support, depending on rabid Trumpist turnout to get elected won’t (I think) do it for him.

Even if we know kiidcarter8 will be there for him, with bells on.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15418 on: June 20, 2019, 04:19:08 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15419 on: June 20, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »

https://wjla.com/news/local/supreme-court-rules-bladensburg-peace-cross-stand-public-land

The Cross can stand, 7-2.
Atheists not faring well this SCOTUS term.

Constitutionalists not faring well on that issue with this SCOTUS ever. The argument that it's an old monument, so we no longer care if it promotes a religion, is pretty specious, IMO, but the ruling was not a surprise.
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 4288