Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1604776 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15615 on: June 23, 2019, 04:59:14 PM »

What's sad is that Pigday never tries making a calm argument for reparations as perpetuating victimhood - I saw some guy make such an argument on the PBS Newshour a couple days ago.  I wasn't persuaded by said argument, but at least could say I was listening to a sane and reasonably calm person make their points.   

As a young African-American, he felt that the harm of slavery didn't affect him directly and so didn't want to feel like he was being paid off for whatever happened to great-great grandparents.   His position was that, this far downstream, the money would be unearned.   My principal quibble is that, if a person honestly felt that way, they could refuse it or pass it along to a charity or struggling school district etc.  And those who actually are struggling in a cycle of poverty can accept it and make good use of it.   

I guess I don't believe that everyone who gets government assistance sits around dwelling on their victimhood.   Most are just trying to pay rent and grocery bills and take care of their kids and find a future where they can afford a house and college and time to catch their breath.   Figures show those who succeed leave the poverty cycle, as do their descendants.

"Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

Sound familiar, Democratic Party?

Here's a song that captures a very good argument against reparations.

https://youtu.be/V-340KGA6Fo

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity. One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy. Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15616 on: June 23, 2019, 05:09:52 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #15617 on: June 23, 2019, 05:42:20 PM »

Anaheim is on the list as one of the best cities to live in. It is all because of Walt Disney. Over 160,000 jobs are created in Orange County by tourism alone.

Now Anaheim needs to expand opportunities by creating an entertainment industry here, we need a movie studio and movie equipment rentals, etc.

Anaheim has a music industry, and No Doubt started here, and the Vandals, and others. Skateboard music is popular here. At the local club, The Juke Joint, some of the bands that have played are Punk As A Door Nail, Disguster, and The Tequila Worms. And we also have the NAMM show every year at the Anaheim Convention Center, which is all about music and the town fills up with Rock stars.

We have a music recording studio close to my neighborhood...

https://www.wallofsoundstudios.com/

Anaheim is great. And Anaheim can be better. There is always room for improvement.

Sure, there are the issues of gentrification, high rents, parking, homelessness, etc, but Los Angeles is dealing with the same issues. I think that Anaheim is more family oriented than Los Angeles, and Anaheim is doing a good job so far as dealing with the issues.

Our local representative in City Hall attended Harvard University, Dr Jose Moreno...

https://anaheim.net/3523/Council-Member-Jose-F-Moreno

We have new shelters for the homeless, and expanded outreach teams, and we have groups which help the people from the homeless shelters to find employment to escape from homelessness, etc, and the minimum wage at Disneyland has been raised to $15.00 per hour.

The American Dream is alive and well in Anaheim, and as many areas have fallen because of the bad economy as over 500,000 jobs in California have been lost to China alone, Anaheim has survived because of tourism, all thanks to Walt Disney. Walt Disney's American Dream helped many people, and touched many lives.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15618 on: June 23, 2019, 05:42:43 PM »

Unable to defend his pov, Larry declares victory and then he,  pivots to a different topic.

This is his MO. Same as Trump's.

You don't commute because you're unemployable, given "the incident".

I understand, Larry.

Bottom line, give us a case for reparations and his that moves the country forward.

Or... STFU.

And don’t go hinting about some “incident” that makes me “unemployable.” You got something? Spill.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15619 on: June 23, 2019, 05:54:20 PM »

Unable to defend his pov, Larry declares victory and then he,  pivots to a different topic.

I understand, Larry.

Bottom line, give us a case for reparations and his that moves the country forward.

Or... STFU.

And don’t go hinting about some “incident” that makes me “unemployable.” You got something? Spill.

He likes to petend he knows things he doesn't, to go with the little bits he does know.

So, for example, he has put up my picture. Sometimes, he intimates knowledge about my marital status, too.

It's stupid and illustrates his lack of trustworthiness.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15620 on: June 23, 2019, 05:55:23 PM »

Utley, are you crazy? You want me to make a case for reparations to YOU or shut the fuck up?

This coming  from the fool who swears the 6/2/1865 “Battle of Memphis” was more pivotal than than the D-Day Normandy Invasion.

Have all the seats you racist asshole.

And don’t go hinting about some “incident” that makes me “unemployable.”

You got something to say? Take your shot.

I get you don't want to talk about it. There's no D-Day w/o the Battle of Memphis victory.

The racist here is you.

Same MO as Trump.
We proved that when you complained about all the white folks moving into your neighborhood

You can't make a case, which is why you'd rather attack and label instead of meet the challenge.

I complained about white folks moving into my “up and coming” neighborhood which has been relatively stable for seventy years (two of my neighbors are 99 and 98 respectively and my wife grew up here ) because developers are trying to get Building code variances in order to add another floor to existing stock which are two story semi detached houses.

I’ve been through this before in Columbia Heights where parking sucked so bad I use to budget $90 a month for parking tickets.
May not sound like a big deal but adding that many extra rooms in one location is akin to establishing a motel in the middle of block. Parking will suck here too. Air BnB yo.

What’s really cool is I’ve watched several kids grow from middle schoolers to college and now a new crew of little kids are running around. Young families mixing in with us geezers. We don’t need an Air BnB packed with drunken frat boys barfing in the streets at all hours. That’s what happened over in Kingman Park.

Now we have to establish Capitol View as a Historic Neighborhood which is actually easier Done than Said. It’s just paperwork and petitions and our white neighbors are on board because they are invested in their neighborhood.

Been thru this before...white folks moved in....parking sucked....we don't need...

Do you hear yourself?

Oy!

Thanks for proving my point, though.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15621 on: June 23, 2019, 05:57:56 PM »

I understand, Larry.

Or... STFU.

He likes to petend he knows things he doesn't, to go with the little bits he does know.

So, for example, he has put up my picture. Sometimes, he intimates knowledge about my marital status, too.

Joshie, a charter member of the illiberal Left, works diligently to silence anyone who does not toe the party line.

Very sad.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #15622 on: June 23, 2019, 06:00:29 PM »

Oh? So you thought And was going to write checks for everyone?

You knew more about the Battle if Memphis!

Is that what you're teaching in your version of history class?

Pretty weak, Joshie.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #15623 on: June 23, 2019, 06:01:38 PM »

A liberal elitist dream. The burdened majority subsidizing a minority group. Why, because it is the right thing to do, it is progressive? Here is another one; ---Elizabeth Warren’s Pledge to End Private Prisons----.  But why, they have been proven to be more efficient and less corrupt than the public run ones. Check out the ICE disaster.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15624 on: June 23, 2019, 06:34:40 PM »

I understand, Larry.

Or... STFU.

Yes, not only a.racist, but a racist asshole. But he managed to make today all about himself. Winning!
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15625 on: June 23, 2019, 07:15:56 PM »

A liberal elitist dream. The burdened majority subsidizing a minority group. Why, because it is the right thing to do, it is progressive? Here is another one; ---Elizabeth Warren’s Pledge to End Private Prisons----.  But why, they have been proven to be more efficient and less corrupt than the public run ones. Check out the ICE disaster.

Da fuck are you yapping about?

Lyndon Johnson

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #15626 on: June 23, 2019, 08:27:36 PM »

Duh! Got a plan that will shake up "deplorable" middle America and some are ready to run with it. Spread heavily with guilt and self-loathing. The Bernie style.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15627 on: June 23, 2019, 08:29:38 PM »

He has no idea, but it seems to make him very angry.

I understand, Larry.

Or... STFU.

Joshie, a charter member of the illiberal Left, works diligently to silence anyone who does not toe the party line.

Very sad.

Josh is being a good host, and letting the blowhard know he’s making an ass of himself in typical fashion. It’s kinder than just laughing at you, Utz.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15628 on: June 23, 2019, 08:44:11 PM »

I understand, Larry.

Or... STFU.

Very sad.

Piggy working hard to ignore the truth about himself. (And ignoring the truth that if silencing him was the goal there are easier ways to do it than pointing out Piggy's inadequacies.)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15629 on: June 23, 2019, 08:45:44 PM »

Oh? So you thought And was going to write checks for everyone?

You knew more about the Battle if Memphis!

Is that what you're teaching in your version of history class?

Pretty weak, Joshie.

Not as weak as your attributing to me a post I didn't make.

Same shit, different day. I haven't ever talked about the Battle of Memphis on this site.
Pages: 1 ... 1040 1041 [1042] 1043 1044 ... 4288