Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007151 times)

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #19545 on: August 27, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5d649783e4b008b1fd1fcf09

A lot of the forest clearing is to plant soy for the Chinese market.

Kid and Red, burning away our lungs with their votes.
I just knew it was Trump's fault!
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19546 on: August 27, 2019, 02:27:40 PM »

The Exit Ramp:
Of 293 Republicans serving in Congress when Trump became president

14 left office early in '17-18
34 did not seek reelection in '18
2 lost primaries in '18
30 lost to Dems in '18
2 are leaving office early in '19-20
11 will not seek reelection in 20

= 93 or 31.7%
And this party is just getting started.

The lowest reelection rate in the House in the last 55 years has been 85% - 2010 and 1970. 2018 wasn't particularly low, but in combination with 2020 it mighht be.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19547 on: August 27, 2019, 02:38:04 PM »

I think there are instances where pointing to the source is enough to discredit it.  For example, when someone uses a forum post from a contributor to VDARE.com as the source for their facts, I don't think a point-by-point rebuttal is necessary.

The New York Times is not VDARE.com.  Or Air America, for that matter.

Point taken.  And if someone is posting from some place like Vdare or ZeroHedge or the Examiner, it's usually pointless to bother rebutting anyway.  These publications appeal to True Believers, those march in lockstep and do not allow their purity to be defiled by degenerate askers of questions and appealers to facts.

I am insulted.  You didnt include Katica from the Twitterverse.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19548 on: August 27, 2019, 02:39:18 PM »

This is funny.  But degrading an entire Cabinet is another example of your immaturity.  Try not making it, "you suck because you are on the other side".  That would be a good starting point for you .

Yeah, you would never do such a thing yourself!

I LOVED Susan Rice.

Until.....welll.......

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19549 on: August 27, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »

I dont usually vote in Brazil

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19550 on: August 27, 2019, 02:45:21 PM »

The Exit Ramp:

2 lost primaries in '18
30 lost to Dems in '18

= 93 or 31.7%

The lowest reelection rate in the House in the last 55 years has been 85% - 2010 and 1970. 2018 wasn't particularly low, but in combination with 2020 it mighht be.

If there were only no Republicans behind them you would be in fantastic shape

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19551 on: August 27, 2019, 03:01:03 PM »

The Exit Ramp:

2 lost primaries in '18
30 lost to Dems in '18

= 93 or 31.7%

From 2017 alone

One is running for President

9 ran or are running for Governor

8 ran or are running for Senate

And one is Jason Chaffetz, doing fine work at Fox and still a potential GOV/POTUS candidate

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19552 on: August 27, 2019, 03:11:00 PM »

This is funny.  But degrading an entire Cabinet is another example of your immaturity.  Try not making it, "you suck because you are on the other side".  That would be a good starting point for you .

Yeah, you would never do such a thing yourself!

I LOVED Susan Rice.

Until.....welll.......

...she was included in a made-up controversy cooked up by republicans to ding someone they knew would be a future presidential candidate?  Suddenly you fell out of love?  Yeah, I bet you had her poster up on your wall.

What was it about Susan Rice you LOVED, kiidcarter8?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #19553 on: August 27, 2019, 03:18:49 PM »

I dont usually vote in Brazil

Do you vote for Congress people and potuses who craft policies that allow China to buy our soy and pork?  Iowa is a tillable plain, not a rainforest.   Get those neurons firing.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #19554 on: August 27, 2019, 03:38:54 PM »

Isn't it time for you to put away your kneejerk denial of what is going on with this person who occupies the position of president?

Denial?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #19555 on: August 27, 2019, 03:40:07 PM »

I liked this comment today in the NYT comments section, on the nuts in Brazil:

The amount that should be offered to Brazil should be billions not millions. It must be made economically to Brazils benefit to maintain the Amazon as it is, rather than develop it. The industrialized nations have developed and decimated their forests and reaped the economic benefits. And now they want to tell Brazil not to do the same, and here's 22 million, and you figure it out from there. There should be a world fund set up to pay Brazil to conserve the Amazon. And based on the importance that rainforest is to the rest of the world, billions is not too big a price to pay.

It's ludicrous to expect any country to send any amount of money to Brazil to pay for the Amazon Rain Forest.
Brazilians already have the means to do so themselves. Of the 23 million people living in the Amazonia, 45% are below the poverty line and kept there by ridiculos government regulations.  They are making their substandard living harvesting nuts when they could be mining some of the largest gold and diamond reserves in the world.  But Brazil bans mining on indigenous lands so tribal leaders look the other way when criminals run about 3000 ILLEGAL mining operations.

Same for logging. Another result of idiotic regulations in place of sustainable management that removes and replaces trees.

As long as the people remain poor they aren't going to care much about the rain forests.

Asking the rest of the world to transfer a portion of its wealth to poor Brazilians is not the way to lift them out of poverty.

Do you read?

20% of our oxygen comes from that rainforest.   You don't seem able to grasp that's a more vital resource than soybeans for China (which we could grow on land that won't have to stripped of forest, and actually benefits from the nitrogen fixing of soy - but hey, trade wars are easy and fun).   A worldwide subsidy to Brazil to keep making oxygen is a sensible transaction,  not a "wealth transfer," and the billions raised can lift poor Brazilians from poverty and help build a real economy that's not based on ecological destruction. 

Why the fuck do you think those poor Brazilians you care about so much are marching in the streets?
11 million Brazilians in poverty harvesting nuts near the rain forest.  They don't like being denied a decent living by their own government's idiotic regulations regarding mining and foresting, not to mention the country's reliance on importing diesel oil to generate electricity to the Amazonas, about 200 billion gallons a year is burned. How is that for high carbon inefficiency?
Hundreds of products, of higher value per hectare than soybeans, can be derived from intact rainforest.  That's the direction Brazil was going, thanks to many programs for sustainable forest use, until Bolsinaro took over and made it known he wouldn't prosecute illegal exploitation and look the other way.  Read the links that were posted here and educate yourself before flapping your gums further.
LOL  Bolsonaro fully understands the problem.Poor people desire better lives. All the country's intellectuals, environmentalists, and pointy head-liberals don't. Bolsonaro turned down financial aid from the G-7. The last thing his country needs is advice from the Colonialiist mind sets like you.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19556 on: August 27, 2019, 03:44:36 PM »

LOL  Bolsonaro fully understands the problem.Poor people desire better lives.

It's possible he understands the problem, though his pronouncements on the topic might lead a rational person to question that.

But it is certain that he doesn't understand the solutions. Not even slightly - or he understands them, but doesn't care.

The poor will suffer more, not less, through his short-sightedness.

And when it comes, you will deny it.

Just like you always do. And like Kid "denial?" Carter does.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19557 on: August 27, 2019, 03:49:26 PM »

“Colonialiist mind sets like you“, says Our resident champion of profiting off ramping up apartheid against the poor and the brown.

Red sure is flexible, even for a worm.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19558 on: August 27, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »

I asked myself, WTF, why is REDSTATEWARD posting pro-Bolsonaro propaganda on the forum today?  Then I go to the WSJ, and what do you know, two pro-Bolsonaro editorials in the last two days, which he is parroting directly.

I don't say this to demean the WSJ (though the editorials, from what I read, would deserve it) but to point out that this is what he does.  He reads something in the WSJ then comes onto the board and starts spouting lines from it without sourcing to the original material. 

Suddenly he is a Brazil expert, who knows exactly what the country needs and everyone else is stupid, because he read two op-eds in the Journal...

« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:56:53 PM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #19559 on: August 27, 2019, 03:55:22 PM »

“Colonialiist mind sets like you“, says Our resident champion of profiting off ramping up apartheid against the poor and the brown.

Red sure is flexible, even for a worm.

Yeah, the "colonialist mind-set" was certainly rich.  That is what sent me to the WSJ to figure out where the fuck this bullshit is coming from.
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 4288