Who will win Game 5 of the NBA Finals?

Warriors
- 1 (33.3%)
Celtics
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: June 13, 2022, 11:38:11 PM

Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1850

Author Topic: Knicks  (Read 935917 times)

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
Re: Knicks
« Reply #6570 on: June 26, 2019, 12:17:56 AM »

I'll be pretty upset if we sign Randle to a 4yr, $90m deal. That would be terrible. He puts up numbers, but you can't have him as your highest paid player and expect to go anywhere.

I think if the Knicks strike out, they're going to trade for Marvin Williams and Michael Kidd Gilchrist and Kent Bazemore and hope to acquire protected first rounders in the process.

Zach Lowe mused about D-Lo. Would mean DSJ has got to go.

Upset to get a nice player.

That should never be your stance.

You should be thankful a 20-8 guy wants to play here

That's not how you build a good team. That's how you sign Nic Batum, Evan Turner, Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Kent Bazemore etc to contracts which kill your cap. I'm not talking about a Chandler Parsons situation, where there's an injury. I'm talking overpaying for contributing role players. All the bad teams do it because they think exactly as you do - never be upset to get a nice player, be thankful he wants to play here.

The successful teams don't have those contracts on their roster. This has been proven time and again.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6571 on: June 26, 2019, 03:36:11 AM »

Biz, none of those guys you mentioned in your bad contracts list is nearly as productive as Randle has become. He has way more value than any of those guys.

Developing young players is a much smoother process if they can play with vets who produce and have their own positional gravity. Harford and Morris did this for the Celts. Bogut, Iggy, and Livingston for the Dubs. Lopez and Bledsoe did it for the Bucks this year.

We’re gonna have to spend 60 mil somewhere just to hit the salary floor.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6572 on: June 26, 2019, 05:03:31 AM »

You can always sign a vet to a big one year deal.
Ariza or Rudy Gay for $20M.  DeMarre Car or Wil Da Mayor for $15M.

You get a savvy vet and starter.  And hopefully a mentor for Knox.
You roll over your cap space.
Likely can add a team option 2nd year at a similarly inflated rate.

But be careful with long term contracts.
We don't need any more 4 year $60+M deals for Tim Jr., Courtly, Noah or David Lee types. 

I'd be happy signing one of Rubio/Brogdon to a long term contract and Ariza/Gay/DMC to a hefty one year dealio this off-season.  Shore up positions of need.  Add in solid vets and defense.  Roll over much of our cap-space.

Another option, is Biz's idea of using cap space to add a vet such as Marv Willaims, MKG, My Leonard and extracting a pick for the service.  Again, avoiding long-term use of cap space while adding an asset and solid player.

I'd monitor Randle.  Maybe he falls through the FA cracks like Lopez did last year.  I'd pick him up at $14M or less (I think).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:12:40 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6573 on: June 26, 2019, 05:26:43 AM »

$53M
Brogdon $20M      (or Rubio $16M or so)
Ariza $18M / 1 year   (or Gay)
Marvin Williams $15M + a 1st round pick from CHA

(Almost definitely could get a CHA 1st rounder if we took on Biyombo's 2 year $17M per deal.  But better to get Marv $15M or MKG $13M -- both cheaper and better).

I find Dedmon interesting -- had one or two ATL games where I wondered Who Is That? for a few minutes.  But you don't want Deadman to end up a Mahinmi/Biyombo/Dieng type albatross.  And the C market has deflated considerably.

One thing nice about Rubio or Brogdon is you could easily keep Jr. Smith around to play with and behind them.  it's not like bringing in a Kyrie or Kemba, where Jr. Smith would get all Rozier sulky as the limited min backup.  Rubio not a shooter.  Brog a versatile combo G.

Other 1 year vet PF options.
Taj.  Ed Davis.  Richaun Holmes
Randle 1/$18M if he doesn't get a good offer elsewhere
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 05:45:51 AM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6574 on: June 26, 2019, 07:59:28 AM »

No to Smith as a backup

If we want to start him at the 2, that is another story.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6575 on: June 26, 2019, 08:08:23 AM »

Decisions don't have to be made so soon.
You can try Jr. Smith at starting PG and Brog as starting SG.
You can try Frog at PG and Jr. Smith as backup PG.

See what works.

With Rubio, Jr.Smith is more of a backup PG, but can also play alongside Rubio.  Again, see what works.  Patience

Besides Jr. Smith doesn't have great trade value as of now.  Try to build it up some before any deal.  Some teams would be interested in Smith and even franc, but how much would they give up?
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #6576 on: June 26, 2019, 08:10:30 AM »

Ev Turner was so good for POR they just ditched him for Bazemore.
Turner did all right as a backup.  But shouldn't have gotten a  4/$70M contract.  A massive overpay by POR in the same Summer they gave a similar deal to Crabbe.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6577 on: June 26, 2019, 10:22:06 AM »

Decisions don't have to be made so soon.
You can try Jr. Smith at starting PG and Brog as starting SG.
You can try Frog at PG and Jr. Smith as backup PG.

See what works.

With Rubio, Jr.Smith is more of a backup PG, but can also play alongside Rubio.  Again, see what works.  Patience

Besides Jr. Smith doesn't have great trade value as of now.  Try to build it up some before any deal.  Some teams would be interested in Smith and even franc, but how much would they give up?

I think he does.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6578 on: June 26, 2019, 10:23:00 AM »

As I said - to make the KP deal smell good we need to allow Smith Jr to run this team effectively.  Or deal him for perceived value.

lesterluv

• Burgers are tasty, but I love steak!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6579 on: June 26, 2019, 10:33:34 AM »

I would completely agree ... the exact opposite of how we handled Frankie. Real chance. Don't sabotage. Don't destroy value.

*** looks like we got a lot out of the Mudiay/Burke experiments lol...

**** oh wait, Mud did play a HUGE very significant role in getting us the worst record in the league, the actual season goal
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 10:41:16 AM by lesterdog »
*** Mike Byrd said, Would that be Ashli, Ashley or Ashlee? Can never be sure with you white trash types." BAM!***

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6580 on: June 26, 2019, 12:00:23 PM »

We’re gonna have to spend 60 mil somewhere just to hit the salary floor.

You can always sign a vet to a big one year deal.

But be careful with long term contracts.

Just a heads up.  Yes there is a salary floor and yes you can sign a vet to a one year deal to reach the floor

HOWEVER

If a team doesn't reach the salary floor the remaining money then would be evenly distributed to the rest of the players.

Mitch and company get a one year BONUS!  I like that more than signing some doofus.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

thebizneverloses

• View Profile
« Reply #6581 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:23 PM »

Also, don't need to spend all the cap in the summer if things don't work out. There's value in selling cap space throughout the season, as teams look to duck the tax. Easy way to, at a minimum, coax second rounders from teams (if not first rounders).

I mean, a top-20 protected first rounder for taking on Meyers Leonard at the deadline, let's say, is a pretty good offer for the Knicks (given we might be inclined to keep him since he's a potential rotation player and that it wouldn't really cost us anything). Same thing with a host of players. Charlotte may give us a lottery protected 1st to take Bizmack, but they won't necessarily do that until they see where their team is.

This is Plan C, just to be clear, with Plan A being Durant and someone and Plan B being players of the D-Lo/Randle/Brogdon mold.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6582 on: June 26, 2019, 12:56:26 PM »

I dont think its a bad line to sell -

Come to the Garden, be the guy for a year, then play with KD/RJ/Knox for a title years 2-3-4.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6583 on: June 26, 2019, 04:06:27 PM »

Rockets moving mountains to get a #1 pick to flip to Sixers for Butler.

So...

do we want Tucker?  Capela?  Gordon?

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #6584 on: June 26, 2019, 04:20:10 PM »

No.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown
Pages: 1 ... 437 438 [439] 440 441 ... 1850