Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4238 4239 [4240] 4241 4242 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1645741 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #63585 on: January 18, 2021, 04:58:36 PM »

Rand Paul, Coward.

https://www.rawstory.com/rand-paul-impeachment/

And still putting party over country.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63586 on: January 18, 2021, 05:13:17 PM »

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

But remember when he was murdered April 4, 1968 he was one of the most reviled men in America.

Was he?

Yes.

http://baltimoretimes-online.com/news/2020/feb/07/martin-luther-king-they-love/

Usually an opinion piece such as this, with embedded unsourced "facts" isn't something I'd count as evidence. But, I do like the argument the writer makes. I think idealizing humans does reduce their true nature to one we assign, as oppose to one that is or was.

"Please don’t act like everyone loved my father. He was assassinated. A 1967 poll reflected that he was one of the most hated men in America. Most hated. Many who quote him now and evoke him to deter justice today would likely hate, and may already hate, the authentic King." #MLK

Berniece King

I forgot. Larry doesn't do nuance.

So...who has argued here that MLK was not vilified and loathed by many?

If you make a statement, Larry, you should back it with facts. Barton did that for you with his post. You? Not so much.

But again, the point that was made in the Baltimore link you provided was a good one. Too often we idealize humans, and with great risk of poisoning the well from which wish to drink.

I do think for most Americans today is seen as a "black holiday".

Sad to say, but likely true for most Americans.

Even so, King's legacy plays out in different ways----just ask Kamala Harris on Wednesday. Or the new black Senator from Georgia.

Then again, don't ask the ADL, who is keenly aware of the actions and words and plans of Ya'll Quaeda. They aren't feeling the love from Americans today anymore than MLK did then.

Yeah...

What the fuck does she know?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63587 on: January 18, 2021, 05:25:55 PM »

Silenced at every turn, sacked from jobs "we are restructuring, and unfortunately your position is not included in our future plans"...etc no one will dare be of the Right.

How will they be silenced at every turn when they have three television networks, the largest (by far) set of radio stations and local television stations, and copious newspapers all over the country?!

Please, tell us! We would love to implement it.

And why, again, if cancelling you all is the goal, would I not be deleting your posts and your membership?

There could be some exceptions
Radio stations, tv stations can be cancelled by govts quite easily, govts will absolute power can do anything.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 05:27:42 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
Real eyes realize real lies
« Reply #63588 on: January 18, 2021, 05:33:09 PM »

Don't listen to the whines about cancel culture. 

There's still an infrastructure of sewage media out there for alternative reality /fringe conservative voices / freak speak.

If you're not QAnon you're still welcome on Twitter.

Reasonable republican voices are actually very welcome right now.

Some smart republican can emerge from this swamp and steal moderate and independent votes from the dems in the next cycle.

Those who are still siding with Qanon freak speak will lose.   Q was popular with Trump in power.  Q's been dead wrong since November 4th (and before).

The followers of Q are realizing the real lies that they see with their real eyes.
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #63589 on: January 18, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »

Nobody plays the victim card like Bambu.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63590 on: January 18, 2021, 05:49:02 PM »

Silenced at every turn, sacked from jobs "we are restructuring, and unfortunately your position is not included in our future plans"...etc no one will dare be of the Right.

How will they be silenced at every turn when they have three television networks, the largest (by far) set of radio stations and local television stations, and copious newspapers all over the country?!

And why, again, if cancelling you all is the goal, would I not be deleting your posts and your membership?

Radio stations, tv stations can be cancelled by govts quite easily, govts will absolute power can do anything.

And if we had one, that might be relevant.

But just as Trump was never King, our federal government doesn't have absolute power.

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #63591 on: January 18, 2021, 05:59:13 PM »

The late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. taught that people "must learn to live together as brothers and sisters or perish together as fools," and his message still holds true in a nation that has become increasingly divided, his niece, Alveda King, said Monday, on the federal holiday that honors her uncle.

"I believe we can begin to learn to live together as brothers and sisters with personal accountability," King said on Fox News' "Fox and Friends." "We have to realize that we are one human race, not separate races."

King said she's personally decided "not to argue, not to fuss, even though my political views may vary and be different from others'."

For example, she said, she is "very pro-life" and she will "continue to say that it is a civil wrong to abort a baby" but she won't argue or fight with others about it.

"I believe we can heal if we begin to communicate with compassion rather than anger," said King.

She added that she believes her uncle's advice today would be to "listen to God."

"You have to remember Martin Luther King Jr. was a Baptist preacher, so he would be telling us to look to God and to pray for those who are in authority so that we can have peaceful lives," said King. "So we pray for our leaders, when we don't agree we peacefully make that known. We have other elections and things coming up. We can vote again soon. So be aware of that as well."

King added that her uncle taught that "injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. So as Americans — one race, one group of people still living here in America together — we are going to have to work very hard to see America grow and not be destroyed.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #63592 on: January 18, 2021, 06:11:27 PM »

The election and reelection of BHO changed things greatly.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63593 on: January 18, 2021, 06:49:57 PM »

The election and reelection of BHO changed things greatly.

Sure did!

It let far and farther right let their HATE flag fly.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63594 on: January 18, 2021, 06:53:43 PM »

The late Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. taught that people "must learn to live together as brothers and sisters or perish together as fools," and his message still holds true in a nation that has become increasingly divided, his niece, Alveda King, said Monday, on the federal holiday that honors her uncle.

Kid is quoting from a Newsmax article in the hopes that I won't just delete it.

Kid, it isn't as if Dr. King kept what he felt from us. Go to the primary source, not the secondary one.

But it would nice, Kid, if you heeded the last point she made, which he did for sure make:
"“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.”"
 ― Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from the Birmingham Jail.

It is too bad you oppose that.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63595 on: January 18, 2021, 07:05:26 PM »

And if we had one, that might be relevant.

But just as Trump was never King, our federal government doesn't have absolute power.

I said:  There could be exceptions.
Go woke, go broke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #63596 on: January 18, 2021, 07:27:58 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63597 on: January 18, 2021, 08:01:31 PM »

It’s slightly less of a waste of my tax dollars than paying triple for secret service lodgings at some douchebag’s hemorrhaging golf club, but only slightly.

It does open the door for a better administration to use the same allocation to fund actual historical work which is always a worthy pursuit.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63598 on: January 18, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #63599 on: January 18, 2021, 08:10:08 PM »

Inauguration day...21 gun salute as he flies away in the  Presidential jet.
Gotta love some of his antics.
There is a new book coming out of his best tweets.
Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 4238 4239 [4240] 4241 4242 ... 4288