Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3084 3085 [3086] 3087 3088 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1636019 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46275 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:53 AM »

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it-spread-like-wildfire-this-very-very-scary-chart-might-have-you-reconsidering-your-sunday-plans-2020-08-06?mod=newsviewer_click

Going to church in Ohio can be fatal.

Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine announced at a coronavirus briefing this week that he’s sending a letter to his state’s faith-based community in an effort to get the churches, synagogues and mosques on board with safety measures to help prevent community spread.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46276 on: August 06, 2020, 11:05:25 AM »

“We all have the right to make a living. We all have the right to actually do what we want to do as Americans. We are promised liberty,” he added. “They have actually put such oppressive restrictions on us that it’s just unacceptable to us.
I made the same argument to the cops when they shut down my crack house.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46277 on: August 06, 2020, 11:10:00 AM »

The GOP thinks the SCOTUS is a wing of their party, and should just fall in line with the party's demands:

"We have great respect for the institution of the Supreme Court of the United States, but Chief Justice John Roberts has been a disappointment to conservatives whether it be the Obamacare decision or whether it be a spate of recent decisions," Pence said in an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network’s David Brody, who released a clip of this portion of the interview Wednesday night.

https://news.yahoo.com/pence-criticizes-chief-justice-roberts-111153282.html

Fuck you, Mike.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46278 on: August 06, 2020, 11:44:17 AM »

New York State flattened the curve, and since the initial outbreak has largely handled the virus.  If New York's success was duplicated nation-wide, the US would be one of the success stories. 

Well, I hardly think half a million cases in NY, another 200K sliding across to NJ + 1M or so nationwide would have been any kind of success.  Though of course 2M cases would be much better than the current 5M and rising.  Bad rather than horrendous.

Again, for some reason in the US everything has been reactive, waiting until the virus flares up and then taking serious measures.  But after an outbreak takes hold it's rather late and much harder to contain.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46279 on: August 06, 2020, 11:46:02 AM »

https://news.yahoo.com/professor-allan-lichtman-accurately-predicted-001632658.html

American University Professor Allan Lichtman, who is well-known for accurately predicting American presidential elections, says former Vice President Joe Biden will beat President Donald Trump in the November election.

Lichtman, a political historian who has correctly predicted the outcomes of all presidential elections since 1984, with an asterisk, was one of the few forecasters who projected in 2016 Trump would become the 45th president while also correctly predicting Trump would be impeached as president.

More: There are 100 days until Election Day. Here's what has defined the campaign and what to expect

He uses a "13 key factors" system he designed to decide who will emerge victorious. It includes factors like the advantage of incumbency, long and short-term economic figures, scandals, social unrest, and more.

barton

« Reply #46280 on: August 06, 2020, 12:31:45 PM »

Well there's a load off.

barton

« Reply #46281 on: August 06, 2020, 12:42:32 PM »

“We all have the right to make a living. We all have the right to actually do what we want to do as Americans. We are promised liberty,” he added. “They have actually put such oppressive restrictions on us that it’s just unacceptable to us.
I made the same argument to the cops when they shut down my crack house.

Good one.   I like Nelson Mandela on the matter....

"For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46282 on: August 06, 2020, 01:11:38 PM »

I'm always surprised there aren't more industrial and nuclear accidents.
I'm sure a lot has to do with gov't regulations and accepted best practices, but there are a lot of careless people and greedy unscrupulous ones as well.

Oil spills and pipeline leaks are basically every day occurrences we rarely hear about.  And now and then there are toxic sludges that escape and take over a river.
Most likely a lot of the nasty toxic danger that  occurs happens slowly over decades giving poor people cancer and such.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46283 on: August 06, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »

Now kiidcarter8 has to support the bomb theory because Trump said it was a bomb before he had any idea what he was talking about.

No.  He didn't

I'll take the correction.  He said it was an attack before he had any idea what he was talking about.
Which is even further away from the most likely scenario at the moment.

Actually it seems Trump said an attack by a bomb.

“This was a — seems to be according to them, they would know better than I would, but they seem to think it was an attack. It was a bomb of some kind.”
                                                          -  Dumb Old Trump
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #46284 on: August 06, 2020, 01:38:56 PM »

So Joe, say what?
Biden:

And by the way, what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things.”

(During an interview that aired at the convention of the National Association of Black Journalists and National Association of Hispanic Journalists broadcast by NPR.
8-6-2020)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:40:58 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46285 on: August 06, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »

New York Attorney General Moves To Dissolve The NRA After Fraud Investigation

Have to wonder why the NRA is registered in NY State and not say Idaho.

Allegations against former CFO Woody Phillips

James' lawsuit alleges that Phillips, whose job it was to manage the financial operations of the charitable organization, lied on financial disclosure forms and set up numerous deals to enrich himself and his girlfriend.

The New York attorney general claims that Phillips set up a contract for himself just before he retired and that the package was worth $1.8 million — purportedly for consulting services to the incoming treasurer. But the incoming treasurer told the New York attorney general that he was not aware of this contract. Phillips also directed a deal worth more than $1 million to his girlfriend, the suit alleges.

former NRA chief of staff Joshua Powell's salary more than tripled a little more than two years into his tenure, which began in 2016. While he began at $250,000, Powell's salary rose to $800,000.

Powell is also accused of directing charitable funds to be used for the benefit of his family members. The New York attorney general said that Powell approved of a $5 million consulting contract with the firm McKenna & Associates. That firm, in turn, hired Powell's wife and passed her a $30,000 monthly consulting fee through the NRA. Powell also arranged for an NRA vendor to hire his father as a paid photographer, leading to $90,000 in fees for his father — funds that were ultimately billed to the NRA.

Between the rapid salary increases, the kickback to his wife and the sinecure for his father, the guy pulled in an extra $1M.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #46286 on: August 06, 2020, 01:42:21 PM »

Yep.  It might be hard to decipher, but it sure looks like Biden stepped into it with that one.

It's much less taxing when a Presidential candidate  (and President!) makes his racial slurs easier to understand. 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 01:52:46 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46287 on: August 06, 2020, 01:46:37 PM »

Meanwhile, in truly consequential news...

The number of confirmed cases of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 in the U.S. rose above 4.8 million on Thursday, a day after President Donald Trump again said the virus would just “go away,” while one of his leading public health experts said the virus is unlikely to be under control until late 2021.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute for Allergies and Infectious Diseases, told Reuters it’s unlikely that the virus will be eradicated, as it is highly transmissible. His comments come after Dr. Deborah Birx, coordinator of the White House task force created to manage the pandemic, said this week that the deadly illness has become “extraordinarily widespread” in the U.S. — drawing a public rebuke from Trump — and urged Americans in states with rising cases to socially distance, wash their hands frequently and wear face masks.

Facebook and Twitter removed a Trump post of a video clip from a Fox News interview, in which he said that children are almost immune to COVID-19, saying it breached their policies on coronavirus misinformation. Trump has made that argument several times as he pushes states to reopen schools on time and in person, often contradicting his own health experts. He reiterated the claim at midday Thursday outside the White House, saying that newspapers and “the medical reports” support his position.

Children, including babies, have been infected with COVID-19. Some have died.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coronavirus-update-us-case-tally-climbs-above-48-million-as-trump-contradicts-health-experts-to-claim-virus-will-go-away-2020-08-06?mod=mw_latestnews

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46288 on: August 06, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »

So Joe, say what?
Biden:
And by the way, what you all know, but most people don’t know, unlike the African American community, with notable exceptions, the Latino community is an incredibly diverse community with incredibly different attitudes about different things.”

Pretty sure Biden was referring to the diverse (dozen or so) countries Latinos come from.

For instance, the Biden campaign plans to run Spanish language commercials using a voice actor with a Cuban accent in Florida, a Puerto Rican accent for I think NY, and Mexican accent along the southern border, Texas, Arizona, etc.

Trump says much more garbled, unintelligible and blatantly incorrect shit than that e v e r y d a y.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46289 on: August 06, 2020, 01:49:08 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/ny-attorney-general-seeks-dissolve-153816245.html

New York’s attorney general sued the National Rifle Association on Thursday, seeking to put the powerful gun advocacy organization out of business over allegations that high-ranking executives diverted millions of dollars for lavish personal trips, no-show contracts for associates and other questionable expenditures.

Attorney General Letitia James’ lawsuit, filed in state court in Manhattan after an 18-month investigation, highlighted misspending and self-dealing allegations that have roiled the NRA and its longtime leader, Wayne LaPierre, in recent years — from hair and makeup for his wife to a $17 million post-employment contract for himself.

Simultaneously, the Washington, D.C., attorney general sued the NRA Foundation, a charitable arm of the organization designed to provide programs for firearm safety, marksmanship and hunting safety, accusing it of diverting funds to the NRA to help pay for lavish spending by its top executives.

The troubles, which James said were long cloaked by loyal lieutenants and a pass-through payment arrangement with a vendor, started to come to light as the NRA’s deficit piled up and it struggled to find its footing after a spate of mass shootings eroded support for its pro-gun agenda. The organization went from a nearly $28 million surplus in 2015 to a $36 million deficit in 2018.

Cha-cha-cha.

Pages: 1 ... 3084 3085 [3086] 3087 3088 ... 4288